Restrictor in passenger coolant hose?

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
So Im doing my Whipple install and there is a restrictor pipe inside the passenger side hose area that needs to be reused?
I show a picture here. Anyone know what the purpose is for? Im assuming to restrict flow for some reason? Just curious because the driver side does not have it- just passenger.
coolant hose.jpg
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
It's usually there to restrict flow to the heater core. Probably so it doesn't get blown out by added flow/pressure.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's usually there to restrict flow to the heater core. Probably so it doesn't get blown out by added flow/pressure.
^^^ 100% correct.

These were also common in the 1986-1995 5.0’s. In those models, the restrictor fitting was made of steel; it was only found in 1 hose located at the firewall which went into the heater core. The problem is, if someone didn’t know about that tidbit of tech info and replaced/discarded the stock heater hose, the restrictor was gone... new 86-95 5.0 heater hoses didn’t come with the restrictor.

——

Good find and hopefully your post helps other S550 owners in the future.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I would say it's there to slow the flow down so the core absorbs more heat from the coolant to be more efficient.
Sponsored