Sponsored

RESOLVED - Steeda subframe brace issue

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Update:
Steeda will be replacing these under their lifetime warranty. I incorrectly assumed that they came with a 1 year warranty and would have to pay to get them blasted and powder coated at my expense. Thanks @tj@steeda for helping getting this resolved so quickly!

I was working under the car today and pulled off my Steeda IRS braces after seeing the condition they were in. They were installed on the car in Nov 2018, and this is the state they are in after three years. The paint has failed completely and the steel underneath has a thick layer of rust. The brown that you see all over is rust coming to the surface and not dirt.

On the other hand, the BMR front subframe brace and jacking rails that were installed at the same time are in perfect shape.

IMG_4463.jpeg

IMG_4462.jpeg

IMG_4461.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

IMG_4459.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Have them blasted and repowder coated. I’m about to do that myself as I want to change the color of mine.

OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Have them blasted and repowder coated. I’m about to do that myself as I want to change the color of mine.
Yeah that's why I took them off. But it's BS that I should have to do that so quickly especially since the BMR stuff is holding up just fine.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Reach out to Steeda. I have a set been on close to 2 years and look perfect. @tj@steeda

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Metallurgy of aftermarket parts is almost universally horrible. Anything that looks bad I just hit with boeshield or crc marine anti corrosion spray.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you can reach out to us & provide your information - since Steeda parts are covered under a lifetime warranty.

We have several 1000s of IRS braces on the market - I can assure you, this isn't a quality control issue.

Oftentimes, that is surface rust & does not have any adverse effects on the integrity of the part itself.

Please provide your contact info to tim @ steeda so I can run this through our warranty product.

Thank you,

TJ

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can check out the commitment we have made to Powder-Coating since than by checking out this article:

https://www.steeda.com/steedas-strongest-powder-coat

With our newest changes to our powder coating, we have landed an even higher rating for quality and durability than ever before. Our Engineering & Manufacturing Teams are always looking for ways to improve. When we sent out some of our powder-coated parts to get salt spray tested to ensure long-term durability and reliability, we received higher results than we had expected.

They came back with a 9 out of 10 rating after 750 hours of direct salt spray testing, landing higher than the industry standard of 6 out of 10. With this high rating, we are proud to announce that Steeda’s powder coating is the strongest it has ever been!

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I was working under the car today and pulled off my Steeda IRS braces after seeing the condition they were in. They were installed on the car in Nov 2018, and this is the state they are in after three years. The paint has failed completely and the steel underneath has a thick layer of rust. The brown that you see all over is rust coming to the surface and not dirt.

On the other hand, the BMR front subframe brace and jacking rails that were installed at the same time are in perfect shape. Very disappointed, I thought Steeda made quality products.

IMG_4463.jpeg

IMG_4462.jpeg

IMG_4461.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

IMG_4459.jpeg
I’m not saying I know one way or the other, but your comparison to the BMR stuff up front, wouldn’t it be less prone to having rocks and debris fly up at is, as it’s in front of or equal with the front wheels? Wouldn’t the rear stuff be more prone to abuse from rocks and therefore paint chips and therefore rust?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
They have not completely (drama) failed, just a cosmetic problem. Functionally it's a good part, paint or powder coat. Stop driving in the winter on salted roads.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Not a QC issue. Looks like they have never even been cleaned. Mine still look really good after 3 years, and have never even been waxed. I will wax them this year though.
20220509_094601.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
I’m not saying I know one way or the other, but your comparison to the BMR stuff up front, wouldn’t it be less prone to having rocks and debris fly up at is, as it’s in front of or equal with the front wheels? Wouldn’t the rear stuff be more prone to abuse from rocks and therefore paint chips and therefore rust?
Yeah but there is rust on the upper part of the braces as well, which won't be hit by flying debris. If you look at the close ups, you'll see that the rust is forming underneath the paint/powder coat, which leads me to believe that the surface wasn't prepped properly, or that the coating is permeable somehow.

OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
They have not completely (drama) failed, just a cosmetic problem. Functionally it's a good part, paint or powder coat. Stop driving in the winter on salted roads.
I said that the paint had completely failed - which it has. Call me crazy, but when I pay close to $300 for something, I expect it to last for more than a couple of seasons in the relatively mild winters that we have here in kansas. Sheesh talk about blaming the victim.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Have you emailed or called Tim?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
@tj@steeda Thanks, I didn't know you guys had a lifetime warranty. I assumed that it was a year so I was SOL. I've emailed customer support, I will let you know if I have any issues.
Sponsored