Sponsored

Replacing "suitcase" resonator worth it?

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
While I'm contemplating exhaust options I see so many people saying how restrictive the resonator is and if you put headers on you are then restricted by that part. However when only a resonator delete has been done with the rest of the exhaust stock there's no real power increase. Lethal talks about it here (post #96):

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12136&highlight=resonator&page=6

And there was another thread where I saw Rick from Amazon dyno stock vs resonator delete and only see a few HP gain.

I'm debating just doing headers to delete the cats and also gain some HP. I'd like to keep that resonator on if I do this to keep it a little more quiet. Am I missing something here?
Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I think the bigger benefits are weight reduction and it gives the care a better tone. Deleting this by itself will not give you a lot of power increase and if you are spending the money on headers then you should be fine with spending the money on an entire system. The ARH Long system is about $1800 and it includes the mid pipe to delete that resonator and this is where you'll see your power gains. Paired with a CAI and a good tune your could be looking at 430-450 RWHP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
So how do you delete the Cats and still pass smog tests/ remain legal?
Does using Long Tube headers by definition mean deleting Cats and making it not street legal?

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
You can purchase long tube headers with high flow cats that meet and pass the smog tests and remain legal.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
You can purchase long tube headers with high flow cats that meet and pass the smog tests and remain legal.
Not in California, sadly. :mad:

You can cheat and put them on for the first 5 years and hope no one rats you out, or a cop doesn't start looking around real close, but they are NEVER legal for a street car built after 1975 in CA. The first smog test is the sixth year after being built, they'd have to come off then and every other year if you want to push it. Hell they even check part numbers on the cats, as any non-direct replacement cats are ILLEGAL too.

Sponsored

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
What are smog tests? :lol: SD ftw.

After taking mine out I'd say its worth it. Definitely heavy. Don't know about sound, though, because I did the roush AB's at the same time.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

You can cheat and put them on for the first 5 years and hope no one rats you out, or a cop doesn't start looking around real close, but they are NEVER legal for a street car built after 1975 in CA. The first smog test is the sixth year after being built, they'd have to come off then and every other year if you want to push it. Hell they even check part numbers on the cats, as any non-direct replacement cats are ILLEGAL too.
Thanks for that itsy bity qualification about Calif. Taxiii.

So for us Calif. folks who do not want to swap out our exhaust system in 6 years, it is a given to keep the OEM Cats. So on my (EDD 3/12) V6 convertible, the only things I would realistically consider changing are:
(assuming I do not want over loud & do not care about a weight savings by removing resonator)
1) Change manifold to shorty headers
2) Cutting off the tubes after the axle to add Axle Back free-er flowing mufflers.

( sorry to water down the GT mod thread with a V6... ;) But I do appreciate learnin' about Calif and the Cats! Tks)

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
Thanks for that itsy bity qualification about Calif. Taxiii.

So for us Calif. folks who do not want to swap out our exhaust system in 6 years, it is a given to keep the OEM Cats. So on my (EDD 3/12) V6 convertible, the only things I would realistically consider changing are:
(assuming I do not want over loud & do not care about a weight savings by removing resonator)
1) Change manifold to shorty headers
2) Cutting off the tubes after the axle to add Axle Back free-er flowing mufflers.

( sorry to water down the GT mod thread with a V6... ;) But I do appreciate learnin' about Calif and the Cats! Tks)
Shorty Headers? Save your $$$$

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Shorty Headers? Save your $$$$
I read Russians report and watched his 'inside car video' about his V6 shorty header only mod. (w/everything else stock). He said he was somewhat surprised that it did not make much of a sound difference as he had thought it might. Maybe just subtly. Tork, so would you say that between the OEM Cats, resonator and mufflers, the most of the sound (or performance) that could be gained (with other free-er flowing mods) are not able to come out?

And that even changing to free flow mufflers, the cats and resonator still rob too much from any header gains made?

Tks

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I read Russians report and watched his 'inside car video' about his V6 shorty header only mod. (w/everything else stock). He said he was somewhat surprised that it did not make much of a sound difference as he had thought it might. Maybe just subtly. Tork, so would you say that between the OEM Cats, resonator and mufflers, the most of the sound (or performance) that could be gained (with other free-er flowing mods) are not able to come out?

And that even changing to free flow mufflers, the cats and resonator still rob too much from any header gains made?

Tks
Performance from exhaust alone without touching headers/cats is hard to come by. Everything you'll do aft of the cats is going to be for sound alone. Shorty headers are a waste of time.

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Remove the resonator and you might pick up a slight bit of power, but you will loose around 15 lbs. and it will sound more aggressive.

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP

Sounds like you need a smog guy.

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you need a smog guy.
There are fewer and fewer cooperative smog guys around, as CARB has increased penalties, pull licenses and run stings and spot checks. They never know if the next guy in line is an undercover inspector. Unless the smog guy knows you well, and is a little tricky he won't do your car. It used to be easy, 'cause I knew a guy, but now they are pretty rare now. If they do work for friends of friends, or aren't extra careful they're gonna get caught. :mad:

It's so bad near where I live in San Jose, that most smog check places either won't do a check, or charge a premium to check legal cars with aftermarket equipment with EO's like shortie headers and cold air intakes. :frusty:

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
My reason to consider any exhaust mod would 'just' to get a somewhat deeper/better sound from the V6. Obviously, this is very subjective. A sound that might 'improve' w/o: gaining Too much db loudness, have zero drone and no or almost no irritating popping upon hard deceleration.

Here I am hearing to forget shorty headers.

So what kind of sound(s) might one expect from different 'muffler only' changes? Would there be noticeable sound difference say between, at the low cost end two $67 and a $500ish? Rousch or other muffler only swap.

What would a V6 gain / change sound wise only, from a resonator delete (replaced with what, straight, H or X configuration??).
Does resonator delete with stock mufflers make sound improvement within constraints I mentioned above? Or just in additition to a muffler swap.

Basically, what can a V6 expect in Sound change From one, the other or both of these mods.
Sponsored