Sponsored

Replacement brake pads

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
What are the options for 'Less/low' dust brake pads? I have had good luck with powerstop pads (Z23/Z26) on other cars. AGAIN only for low dust as they have considerably less bite than stock but they don't make them for GT500 yet. thanks
Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I have been using G-loc pads only because I wanted less dust than the OEM pads. I like keeping my gloss black wheels very clean and it was a pain with the OEM pads. In a couple of weeks when I get back home, I’ll be installing the carbon ceramic rotors and pads and will hopefully have even less dust.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been using G-loc pads only because I wanted less dust than the OEM pads. I like keeping my gloss black wheels very clean and it was a pain with the OEM pads. In a couple of weeks when I get back home, I’ll be installing the carbon ceramic rotors and pads and will hopefully have even less dust.
ARE they that much better on dust?

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appears Power Stop has brake pads for the GT500 front now, doesn't look like any distributors have them yet tho. I have had good luck with them on other performance cars, not as good as OEM or performance pads but the trade off on minimal dust is worth it for me.

POWERSTOP
Part No. Z26-2267
Part No. Z23-2267

Does anyone know if the rear pads are the same as GT350? Few parts places list them as the same but not sure if that is correct..

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appears Power Stop has brake pads for the GT500 front now, doesn't look like any distributors have them yet tho. I have had good luck with them on other performance cars, not as good as OEM or performance pads but the trade off on minimal dust is worth it for me.

POWERSTOP
Part No. Z26-2267
Part No. Z23-2267

Does anyone know if the rear pads are the same as GT350? Few parts places list them as the same but not sure if that is correct..
Powerstop FRONT pads are now in stock at Rockauto. i ordered a set, wish the rear were available.

36382mm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500
Subscribing

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the front Powerstop pads Z23 version on the front now and the difference in dust is nothing less than amazing. The rears wont be available from Powerstop they said maybe for another 6 months. I cleaned my factory wheels after getting new wheels and the OEM dust on the inner barrels was crazy with just 1000 miles. The Z23 and the Z26 have the same pad compound its just the Z26 have metal shims vs rubberized for Z23. So if you are going to actually USE your brakes and get them hot Z26 are the better choice however if you truly track your car there are likely better pads, including OEM. But if you want 99% no dust the powerstops are the ticket.

36382mm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500
I have the front Powerstop pads Z23 version on the front now and the difference in dust is nothing less than amazing. The rears wont be available from Powerstop they said maybe for another 6 months. I cleaned my factory wheels after getting new wheels and the OEM dust on the inner barrels was crazy with just 1000 miles. The Z23 and the Z26 have the same pad compound its just the Z26 have metal shims vs rubberized for Z23. So if you are going to actually USE your brakes and get them hot Z26 are the better choice however if you truly track your car there are likely better pads, including OEM. But if you want 99% no dust the powerstops are the ticket.
So the difference in braking power (initial bite) is noticeably less than the oem? I'd love to have less dust but don't want to trade off ALL the braking performance. I don't track the car.

Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can tell the difference, i could tell the difference when i did it on my SS sedan with Brembos. BUT outside of a track situation, I don't , In my opinion, think it matters. If you are driving to Walmart or the Grocery store doesn't matter, if you doing 150mph on the back stretch of a track...well then it matters. I would imagine that a very small percentage of people with these cars that brake pad choice will come into play.

36382mm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500
I can tell the difference, i could tell the difference when i did it on my SS sedan with Brembos. BUT outside of a track situation, I don't , In my opinion, think it matters. If you are driving to Walmart or the Grocery store doesn't matter, if you doing 150mph on the back stretch of a track...well then it matters. I would imagine that a very small percentage of people with these cars that brake pad choice will come into play.
Ok thanks, gonna call Carbotech tomorrow and ask if they plan on coming out with pads for our car. Loved the carbotech on my 14 shelby. The brakes on these cars are awesome would you say they are still awesome for the street or just average now with powerstops. I know its a difficult question to answer. On a scale of 1-10, ten being the oem pads what would rate the brakes now? Sorry in advance lol.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok thanks, gonna call Carbotech tomorrow and ask if they plan on coming out with pads for our car. Loved the carbotech on my 14 shelby. The brakes on these cars are awesome would you say they are still awesome for the street or just average now with powerstops. I know its a difficult question to answer. On a scale of 1-10, ten being the oem pads what would rate the brakes now? Sorry in advance lol.
With a car like this, i mean its pretty much a 'RACE' car its a really tough question because my background is from casual street driving. So from that perspective i would say there 9-9.5. However i can see people that truly track cars saying these pads are like wet bananas, because on the track pads/brakes MATTER a lot. Even if i planned to take on a track i would have no issues using these pads as at my skill level likely wouldn't make any difference.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I went with the Z26's and they are OK. I do miss the initial bite I had with the stock pad, but the stock pads fade pretty quick when you are using them hard.

So far I have not had the 26's fade. The dust reduction is wonderful.

36382mm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500
With a car like this, i mean its pretty much a 'RACE' car its a really tough question because my background is from casual street driving. So from that perspective i would say there 9-9.5. However i can see people that truly track cars saying these pads are like wet bananas, because on the track pads/brakes MATTER a lot. Even if i planned to take on a track i would have no issues using these pads as at my skill level likely wouldn't make any difference.
Got it , Thanks
Sponsored