Sponsored

removing front sway bar for drag racing

1quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt tvs
who's taken it off did it make much of a difference for traction at the strip?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
On an IRS car virtually all of the benefit is going to come from reduced front weight. Rules of thumb for weight reduction should get you close for ET and trap speed. Rear weight% isn't going to go up by much, maybe by a quarter of a percent, which would be very close to any expected increase in traction.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tied removing the front bar? Its not a terribly fun job. You kinda want a lift.

The rear swaybar is a piece of cake.

OP
OP

1quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt tvs
Have you tied removing the front bar? Its not a terribly fun job. You kinda want a lift.

The rear swaybar is a piece of cake.
I have not, honestly havent even looked at it yet, but i pulled it on my 2014 and it seemed to help some getting a little extra lift on the front durring launch

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It shouldn't. The front bar doesn't resist both wheels rising (except from it's mass), the bar stops one side wheel from going up while the other side is going down, but if both go up the bar just follows them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

1quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt tvs
It shouldn't. The front bar doesn't resist both wheels rising (except from it's mass), the bar stops one side wheel from going up while the other side is going down, but if both go up the bar just follows them.
without having a car infront of me this is just a thought but isnt the sway bar end link connected to the control arm? wouldnt that prevent it from lifting

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
without having a car infront of me this is just a thought but isnt the sway bar end link connected to the control arm? wouldnt that prevent it from lifting
Actually, the endlinks attach to the struts. But the effect is the same - when the front of the car rises or drops equally (side to side) there won't be any bar action going on. But there will be a little resistance to the front rising coming from friction in the bushings in the chassis-side brackets.

S550 front suspension.png

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bushing friction on a non-PP car shouldnt be much compared to 3800 lbs shifting backwards.

Disconnecting the bar is pretty quick and easy. Removing it entirely... ehhhh.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Bushing friction on a non-PP car shouldnt be much compared to 3800 lbs shifting backwards.
Agreed. These front sta-bar effects are all small, unlike in stick axle cars where you can play games with roll stiffness distribution to significantly affect rear tire loading.

Then again, in a game where thousandths matter, 0.020 second or so and a quarter of a mph might be all somebody needs.

Norm

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Just take the end links off. Taking it out is a pain in the ass. Then putting it back in..... Is worse.
Sponsored