Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I do plan to track it, but not regularly. With the ppf I just can't get over getting only 5ish years out of it for that amount of $$.
Installers and customers alike are expecting these new films to last 10 years, and factory warranty is offered for that now.

You can enjoy the benefits of film yourself immediately, and then your car should be easier to sell several years later, because the prospect will see your paint is in like-new condition.
Sponsored

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
Just got a small rock chip on the highway the other day as I was beside an 18-wheeler, trying to pass it.

I managed to get some touch up paint from a Ford dealership but I don't have high hopes for this to work... I'm strongly considering putting clear bra Ono the rest of my car now heh heh

Praehotec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 mustang, 2017 GT350R
I am seeking some advice on PPF. I spoke to two installers near me (both seem well-rated in the Houston area, as far as I can tell).

One of them wants to remove the headlights, air vent coverings, etc. to wrap the coating as seamlessly as possible. They use XPEL.

The other will wrap edges as available, and can remove easily removable areas if possible to wrap, but will likely not remove everything, and just run the PPF up to the edges of the vents, etc.. They use Suntek.

I obviously want the best job possible, but am a little uncomfortable with what sounds (to me) like practically disassembling the exterior of the car. Anyone have any advice or opinions? Thanks in advance!

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
When I went from partial to full hood, I told him how to remove the hood vents, so that the film goes under them and then no edges show. (He tried it on another Mustang in the shop first, haha. Be careful with the hood vents, lest they slide against the hood and scratch it when removing them.)

He has a plotter/cutter, so he cut the hood piece oversize to fold around the edges. He then just trimmed out the holes for the vents.

I would be impressed by the installer that wants to use this technique in as many places as possible.

Finally, you can't go wrong with either Xpel or SunTek. They both are invisible, self-healing, and are factory guaranteed for 10 years. Picking the installer for skill and experience is more important than what film he uses.

ParmesanPrime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
'09 Honda Civic, '16 GT350 Tech
I had (and drove) my car for 8 months before finally getting Suntek in preparation for my first big cruise.

I got:
Front Bumper
Full hood
Full front fenders
A-pillars up to a few inches past windshield
Side mirrors
Total cost: $1000(U.S.)

End of day one of my cruise, my Suntek PPF is all torn up near the leading edge of the hood. Whatever rock hit me cut right through the film and chipped the paint in two, maybe three spots. Now I have to have the hood film removed, fix the paint, and reinstall. I know the films aren't invincible, but i was expecting it to last through more than one minor impact.

Sponsored

ParmesanPrime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
'09 Honda Civic, '16 GT350 Tech
Eh, well then I guess the "protection" feature of paint protection film was simply oversold to me. Next road trip I'll be sure to get a regular leather car bra, too.

ttn27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350R
I am seeking some advice on PPF. I spoke to two installers near me (both seem well-rated in the Houston area, as far as I can tell).

One of them wants to remove the headlights, air vent coverings, etc. to wrap the coating as seamlessly as possible. They use XPEL.

The other will wrap edges as available, and can remove easily removable areas if possible to wrap, but will likely not remove everything, and just run the PPF up to the edges of the vents, etc.. They use Suntek.

I obviously want the best job possible, but am a little uncomfortable with what sounds (to me) like practically disassembling the exterior of the car. Anyone have any advice or opinions? Thanks in advance!
What price did they quote you for the installation and what does it include?

ttn27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350R
I had (and drove) my car for 8 months before finally getting Suntek in preparation for my first big cruise.

I got:
Front Bumper
Full hood
Full front fenders
A-pillars up to a few inches past windshield
Side mirrors
Total cost: $1000(U.S.)

End of day one of my cruise, my Suntek PPF is all torn up near the leading edge of the hood. Whatever rock hit me cut right through the film and chipped the paint in two, maybe three spots. Now I have to have the hood film removed, fix the paint, and reinstall. I know the films aren't invincible, but i was expecting it to last through more than one minor impact.
Is this the new Suntek Ultra film that just came out a few months ago?
Your price is pretty cheap even without the rocker panels.

Sponsored

RickH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
GT350R HR333
Just received my R and I had it trailered to the installer who was only 20 miles away but on I-95 that is debris littered. Wasn't taking any chances. A total wrap with XPEL Ultimate and Spectra Photosync Solar Adaptive NANO IR window film on all windows, except the front windshield. $6500 total after negotiations. These guys work on every high end car you can imagine. They have done Ferrari Enzos and LaFerrari's.

This installer uses a CAD system where the film is cut by computer, no razor blades. And they don't stop at the leading edge, they wrap around so it's not seen.

Be wary of the installers who just pull out a full sheet of film and start cutting with razor blades.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
I have minimal PPF on my car. Just the front bumper and the flared frontal section of the rear quarter panels.

I have no regrets in not doing more.

I love to detail my car and enjoy the natural beauty of my paint. PPF serves a purpose, but for me it also detracts from enjoying the paint as it was meant to be. Maybe someday in the future a ceramic coating will be invented that comes closer to PPF in guarding against chips, that would be the ideal solution.
Agreed 100%

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i drive through an asteroid field on the way to work, just picked up a black 350 yesterday...looking into this

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
From what I have heard Suntek is the best option for white as the others seem to yellow more.

fyi... 5 yr warranty only?

PPF offers breakthrough technology for paint protection
applications. Features and benefits include:

Invisible protection from damage caused by rocks, salt,
insects, and other road debris
A proprietary, self healing top-coat formulation that is scratch and crack
resistant with a high-gloss finish
Superior optical clarity
Easy installation and increased longevity
Five-year Manufacturer's Warranty
Sponsored