Recommendations on tuning

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 shadow black mustang GT
Been wanting to tune for e 85, have been looking at the big tuners. But having a A10 mustang and wanting the flex fuel tune is crazy just around 800$ for a custom tune is that the norm right now? Seems outrageous to me . Anyone got a plug or hook up that isn't so ridiculous. Or is that really what were paying for now?
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Been wanting to tune for e 85, have been looking at the big tuners. But having a A10 mustang and wanting the flex fuel tune is crazy just around 800$ for a custom tune is that the norm right now? Seems outrageous to me . Anyone got a plug or hook up that isn't so ridiculous. Or is that really what were paying for now?
Shaun @ AED does a great job and is awesome. Prices very reasonable.

Lund and PBD have a lot of positive feedback.

Regardless you gotta figure 3-4 bills for a hand held. Couple more for the tune.

Some of the vendors on here run specials on combos as well.

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Ya I have looked at the top main 3. Being PBD, Lund. And AED. And ya I see the specials .then I go out in that I need the e 85 tune .usually an extra (1-200$) and that it's an auto. Again an extra 1-200$ and it's a quick 800 lol .So that is the norm tho. Ok just making sure. Hope it drops soon a little.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Ya I have looked at the top main 3. Being PBD, Lund. And AED. And ya I see the specials .then I go out in that I need the e 85 tune .usually an extra (1-200$) and that it's an auto. Again an extra 1-200$ and it's a quick 800 lol .So that is the norm tho. Ok just making sure. Hope it drops soon a little.
Reach out to AED via email. I think the flex upgrade was only 50 on top of the performance tune. Maybe was 100 more. Honestly don't recall fir sure but very worth it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I just paid $300 for a tune revision for a manifold and injector change. It's not that cheap for a bigger modification change.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The AED tune itself should be $350 ($250 performance tune + $100 for flex). You can't include the device as you're paying for that no matter what (also you can can an SCT X4 for $200-250 used, unmarried, 5 unlocks).

You get what you pay for here.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Unleashed Tuning was running 3x custom tunes (e85 included) for $450. Sct BDX included. I have been happy so far. No limit on revisions. Fyi.

$800... wow.

Last edited:
OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
What really?!?! Wow!!! And ya it keeps going up. Aed is the cheapest right now for 649 that I have found . I like $450 alot better lol .How well are they known in the 18+ GT market? Reputable?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
What's $800 for a properly performed tune when it comes to a 30,000+ investment? If the drive ability side sucks (most of the time spent on the tune is there and on idle by a reputable tuner) you will hate the car and have wasted money.

I've had good success with VMP on previous S197 setups. This is my first S550 setup. I chose to retune the car through someone different this go around primarily because my tuner at VMP who did a great job left and went elsewhere. Nothing against VMP. They are great people. But when you find someone who tunes the drive ability to your liking you want to stick with them. I am scheduled to retune 3/6 with Lund where this tuner went to. My biggest focus is on the auto side of the tune. The engine side of the tune is not an issue with most of the more well known and successful remote tuners. And for manual setups IMO there are many more options. When the 6R80 or 10R80 come into the equation a person has to be a bit more skeptical in my experience...and apparently even more so on this S550 platform though it uses the same 6R80 through 17. With the 18 having a 10R80 and being even newer you may wish to do more research rather than just ask for opinion....mine included. That said, if you aren't in a twist to buy a tune right away, give it a few weeks and PM me. I will give you the skinny on the results. But in the end again do your research. Talk to tune shops. Email them. Ask questions. The one's who stop responding may be one't to be cautious of. At the same time don't be overly obnoxious by bombarding them with questions like "How do you compare to brand B? "

Anyone can make power. The proof is in the advertising on every tuner website on the planet. What separates the men from the boys is the attention to detail on drive ability and idle. That's a quote from 4 different tuners I know personally. People think that the power side is the most difficult part of the tune. Actually it is the easier side. Read Greg Banish's book on Advanced Tuning and you will learn how true this is. Think about it. Most of the time you are cruising or sitting at idle. If this side of the tune sucks on your street car yo aren't going to be happy. So don't get hung up simply on the power hype side of things. So what if it makes a good pass at the track if it stalls at every stopping point along the way and surges and bucks all the way to the track, or if an auto shifts like crap aside from a WOT pass.

Weigh everything together along with your own inquiries to the recommendations. Do your own research. Talk to your own local speed shop. Building a rep with a local speed shop that has a good rep is always a benefit to have at your side. Just don't abuse them and do more than ask advice. Use them when you can. They have to make a living as well.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
^^^I agree with a lot of the comments above.

I went with PBD for both e85 and 91. Mainly because the speed shop I work with has an amazing relationship with them, they employ Rob Shoemaker and
when doing research there have been some really bad reviews as of late with one of the other big 3. I'm not gonna out anyone but keep on researching
through all the various online resources and you'll notice a trend.

I wish you the best of luck OP!

Here are a couple things I've learned since making the upgrade:
Sponsored