Recommendation: Best Street Tires?

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
Just a note - it looks like you've pretty much decided. My 16 came with factory optioned Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS W-rated (168 mph-part of 051A). I certainly had no complaint about them. After 4 years, the dry, hot desert air had dry rotted (hairline cracks in tread, working their way into the sidewall). Doesn't make it a bad tire, the climate here does that.
I replaced them with the same Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 other posters mentioned. They are ultra-high performance and what a difference. The grip is amazing (at least next to the F1s). Stopping has improved, accelerating grip is awesome- with the F1s you could break loose the rear fairly easily, you have to really mean it with the Michelins. They just stick and dig in. I used to be a serious autocrosser, so you know I love cornering. Give me a winding road- heck-an old-style cloverleaf. I run out of guts long before they run out of grip, and you can feel them hold on.
I belong to a Mustang club that informally meets up at Shelby American for C&C Saturday mornings, and I know of at least half dozen other Mustangs running them- a couple of Mach 1s, GT 350s and Super Snakes-mostly weekend cars, though mine is a DD.
Good luck with whatever you decide đź‘Ť Any tire mentioned by the previous posters is going to be a decent tire.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I see backorder all over the TireRack page.. If you want sticky, get the RT660s then. If you just want good street tires and don't need the grippiest, the Michelins are the gold standard.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yeah I see backorder all over the TireRack page.. If you want sticky, get the RT660s then. If you just want good street tires and don't need the grippiest, the Michelins are the gold standard.
That's because of all the gold they cost.

My first thought was Firestone Firehawks. Which maybe not as good as the Michelin Pilot Sports, they cost a lot less and provide better value for money. On the street in normal driving I couldn't tell the difference. Though the Michelins are a bit faster on track, though again, there are better, cheaper options if that is what you are looking for. I can't comment on all seasons, I don't live in a climate where I need them, and that is the only time I would buy them for a sporting vehicle.

The they "slip too much for me" complaint doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you have a heavy right foot, are turning hard right, and the tires are not warmed up yet (turn 1 on my morning commute), pretty much everything is going to see a little tire spin. If you are complaining about front slip, that is a result of having such a big stagger front to rear.

While 200 treadwear tires are often really good at what they do. Being a good street tire isn't generally what they do. And even the cheaper ones are a bit pricey.

Yes, price is a big factor for me because I have a set of street tires, autocross tires, and track tires. And the costs add up fast, especially as the latter too don't last that long.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Just a note - it looks like you've pretty much decided. My 16 came with factory optioned Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS W-rated (168 mph-part of 051A). I certainly had no complaint about them. After 4 years, the dry, hot desert air had dry rotted (hairline cracks in tread, working their way into the sidewall). Doesn't make it a bad tire, the climate here does that.
I replaced them with the same Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 other posters mentioned. They are ultra-high performance and what a difference. The grip is amazing (at least next to the F1s). Stopping has improved, accelerating grip is awesome- with the F1s you could break loose the rear fairly easily, you have to really mean it with the Michelins. They just stick and dig in. I used to be a serious autocrosser, so you know I love cornering. Give me a winding road- heck-an old-style cloverleaf. I run out of guts long before they run out of grip, and you can feel them hold on.
I belong to a Mustang club that informally meets up at Shelby American for C&C Saturday mornings, and I know of at least half dozen other Mustangs running them- a couple of Mach 1s, GT 350s and Super Snakes-mostly weekend cars, though mine is a DD.
Good luck with whatever you decide đź‘Ť Any tire mentioned by the previous posters is going to be a decent tire.
Thank you for giving me your personal feedback, I will look at the AS4 as well.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

My first thought was Firestone Firehawks. Which maybe not as good as the Michelin Pilot Sports, they cost a lot less and provide better value for money. On the street in normal driving I couldn't tell the difference. Though the Michelins are a bit faster on track, though again, there are better, cheaper options if that is what you are looking for. I can't comment on all seasons, I don't live in a climate where I need them, and that is the only time I would buy them for a sporting vehicle.

The they "slip too much for me" complaint doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you have a heavy right foot, are turning hard right, and the tires are not warmed up yet (turn 1 on my morning commute), pretty much everything is going to see a little tire spin. If you are complaining about front slip, that is a result of having such a big stagger front to rear.

While 200 treadwear tires are often really good at what they do. Being a good street tire isn't generally what they do. And even the cheaper ones are a bit pricey.

Yes, price is a big factor for me because I have a set of street tires, autocross tires, and track tires. And the costs add up fast, especially as the latter too don't last that long.
yeah, he has the firehawks already.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately the RT660 do not come in a 325/30/19 size.
Thank you for your help

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)

I have the Firehawks, but thank you for your help and opinion. That is what makes this forum a great Forum for all owners.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately the RT660 do not come in a 325/30/19 size.
Thank you for your help
As mentioned, they run wide for their size, and they come in 315/30R19. Effectively its basically as wide as a 325 from other manufacturers.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
As mentioned, they run wide for their size, and they come in 315/30R19. Effectively its basically as wide as a 325 from other manufacturers.
Well then, I will take a look.
Thanks

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well then, I will take a look.
Thanks
Yeah specs say tread width on the 325 Firestone is 11.4" and 11.7 on the 315 Falken. Go figure.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Yeah specs say tread width on the 325 Firestone is 11.4" and 11.7 on the 315 Falken. Go figure.
I noticed that to, kinda weird, for most 325 widths are from 11.4-12.3.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I noticed that to, kinda weird, for most 325 widths are from 11.4-12.3.
I run 315 RT660s on 12.5" wheels on my personal car (Corvette). They are exactly the same width as 325 PS4S, also on 12.5" wheels (street setup).

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Reactions: RPM
OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
here mounted on SVE 11” wheels

58C77171-EF7D-4888-99E5-3191CDBC47A5.jpeg

E97854A9-1689-46C6-9141-24CB9AEDE2B4.jpeg
Nice, people say they have great grip without having to heat them up much but they say they are slippery in wet conditions. That's ok for me for my car hasn't been driven in the rain. Thanks

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I run 315 RT660s on 12.5" wheels on my personal car (Corvette). They are exactly the same width as 325 PS4S, also on 12.5" wheels (street setup).
Thanks. My rear wheels are 11.5" so they should be good. Thanks
Sponsored