Rear Subframe Issues - Fixed thanks to Steeda

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
Ok so this weekend a buddy and I decided to tackle installing 1. Steeda MT82 bushing 2. Steeda rear subframe bushing supports 3. Steeda diff bushings.

This took us way longer than anticipated and ran into a few snags.

First the subframe supports went in great except for the driver side, rear, lower bushing support (one of the two-piece ones that screw together). We could not get the damn thing 100% together. I tried to pry, use the screws to pull the two pieces together, and after about an hour on that one piece I finally had to just give up and have about a 16th of an inch gap between the two pieces. Kind of disappointed how poorly that fit in there.

Second was the diff bushings. Rear two went in fine. The front two were a nightmare. We had to lower the subframe and pull it rearwards to get access to the front side of the front bushings. The bolt that enters the rear and goes towards the front of the car, on the driver side front diff bushing, would NOT go all the way in. We had to take the bolts back out, play with the alignment between the subframe and diff housing for 2 hours to get the damn thing in. I'm still not 100% sure why this was such a pain.

Lastly, we started to button everything back up and the huge holes on the subframe vs the bolts that go into the frame is a HUGE design flaw on Ford's part. I underestimated how bad at first and didn't order the Steeda alignment kit. Well once we got the car back on the ground the passenger side tire was so close I knew it was going to rub (I have my car lowered on Vogtland Sport Plus Springs with 1" spacers). But the driver side rear tire had plenty of clearance. F*CK, so the whole subframe had slid to the passenger side.

So, whole point of this. Never do anything to the rear suspension without those subframe alignment sleeves. I took off my rear spacers so I don't scrape my passenger tire until they arrive and I can fix the subframe alignment and get the car back in the shop for a full alignment.

Also, still really disappointed in the Steeda subframe support bushings fitment with those two-piece bushings. when I put the alignment sleeves in I will try to get it buttoned up but I was terrified to stripping out the small allen key bolts.

Update

So after working with the folks over at Steeda we got everything squared away on the rear end. I got a replacement for the driver, rear, lower subframe bushing support and with a little silicone lube slid right into place.

I also got the subframe alignment sleeves and got everything lined up right. (Side note, put these in BEFORE you screw up your subframe alignment. Putting these in after the fact sucked, but no fault of Steeda)

I took the car to a local shop to double check all the alignment measurements and the car feels extremely solid now, accels like a whole new car, and feels like it should have from Ford with the performance pack.

Huge thank you to Mike and TJ @Steeda!
Sponsored

Last edited:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Sorry you had so much trouble, maybe you should've taken it to a shop? I'm not a mechanic and did it myself. I wouldn't say it was easy but if there are jobs that are too much for me or I don't have the tools, I take it to a professional.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Installing the bushing supports and diff bushings is not easy. Bill from CJ makes it look easy, but it is not easy, especially when it's your first time and/or you are not a seasoned suspension mechanic. The front diff bushings are a royal pain to install. Some people just don't bother. I actually dropped my IRS a lot so I could get a torque wrench in there. The bushing support you're having an issue with may have been aided with some suspension lube in that area. Mine slide right in once we got them greased up and lined up. You should only have to pull them together the last little bit with the screw. They are tight tolerance by design - they have to be to work.

The alignment kit is a must. It solved the issue you're seeing for me, I had the same issue which was noticeable with wider wheels/tires vs. the OEM PP wheels.

Calling Steeda for installation help at the time you're installing if you hit snags is an option. They do actually know the snags you can hit and can help you work through them.

OP
OP

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I really didn't think I needed a shop to do these. I know some things are a lot easier on a lift vs jack stands, but it was just a little crazy the tiny things we had issues with. took a job that should have been a few hours and turned it into all day and my biggest gripe was how some of this stuff fit. Things you don't need any fancy tools for.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I ran into the exact same issues. My front diff bolts are still stock as I couldn't get the diff to drop far enough. And the bushings aren't even in my car cause I couldn't get the two-piece ones to even go around the bushing...they kept getting jammed up while rotating the larger piece.

One of these days I'll take it to a shop and have them do it.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Ya those two pieces were a real bitch to get in there but I got it and the bolts were enough to draw the together. As far as the front diff bushings, I just didn't do those. Only the rear.

OP
OP

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
Just to give all you guys an update. I spoke with Mike D over at Steeda to review everything and by far some of the best customer service I have come across. I will give another update once the alignment kit and new bushing support comes in for round two of getting my rear end to hook up and launch! :headbang:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
When i ordered my stop the hop kit to go with the rest of my steeda stuff ie : pro action shocks steeda sport springs linear, steeda camber plates. I didnt have the alignment kit or the bushing support kit installed and so far i dont need it . I had them install the vertical links and the adjustable toe rods and I installed the subframe supports. My rear was perfectly centered before the install and now after the install. I have 0 wheel hop and the car tracks perfectly under power. I have an auto so its not as critical to use all the parts in the stop the hop kit as a manual would be. Im very happy with the way the car handles...i will keep the alignment kit for possible future use if needed, and i dont think i will ever need the bushing support kit...

Sponsored
OP
OP

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
Well I did things in stages. First was the springs, spacers, and vertical links. This helped a tiny bit with the hop but still didnt launch very strong. I considered the BMR and Steeda kit and honestly it came down to price. I didnt see the value in the extra cost for the BMR kit. I should have also bought the alignment kit when I did these bushing inserts, but watching videos online, it made it look so easy to just do one side at a time therefore not messing with the alignment. The problem was the diff bushings. This forced us to drop the sub frame and completely screw up the alignment...

Hindsight 20/20, yes the BMR kit fixes the alignment as well but I dont really like how short that small alignment piece is on top of that front support brace. The Steeda sleeves I have on the way slide the whole way up the subframe bolt, and on all 4 corners, which in my mind seems like a better way to go about it.

I received amazing customer support with the one piece of the support bushing I had an issue with and I am really excited to just get all this stuff buttoned up and start launching my car. For obvious reasons I have been limping my car around with the screwed up alignment, but I can still feel how much more solid the rear of the car is.

I can't fully tell how much NVH there will be as I am sure a lot of what I am getting right now has some to do with the alignment being so bad. Even with that, the small increase in NVH is totally worth having the car hook up better and this is my daily driver.

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have a feeling your going to like the fit of those subframe braces better after you get the subframe centered correctly under the car. Had the same problem with mine.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
my sub frame braces went in without a hitch with no alignment kit, which is probably a confirmation my rear is straight....

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Well I did things in stages. First was the springs, spacers, and vertical links. This helped a tiny bit with the hop but still didnt launch very strong. I considered the BMR and Steeda kit and honestly it came down to price. I didnt see the value in the extra cost for the BMR kit. I should have also bought the alignment kit when I did these bushing inserts, but watching videos online, it made it look so easy to just do one side at a time therefore not messing with the alignment. The problem was the diff bushings. This forced us to drop the sub frame and completely screw up the alignment...

Hindsight 20/20, yes the BMR kit fixes the alignment as well but I dont really like how short that small alignment piece is on top of that front support brace. The Steeda sleeves I have on the way slide the whole way up the subframe bolt, and on all 4 corners, which in my mind seems like a better way to go about it.

I received amazing customer support with the one piece of the support bushing I had an issue with and I am really excited to just get all this stuff buttoned up and start launching my car. For obvious reasons I have been limping my car around with the screwed up alignment, but I can still feel how much more solid the rear of the car is.

I can't fully tell how much NVH there will be as I am sure a lot of what I am getting right now has some to do with the alignment being so bad. Even with that, the small increase in NVH is totally worth having the car hook up better and this is my daily driver.
If you would like to come down to either or Pompano Beach facility or Valdosta we can take a look at your setup and get you squared away.

Happy to help.

TJ

OP
OP

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
Hey TJ,

HUGE thank you to you and Mike @Steeda. It took a while with the hurricane coming through town and all, but I finally got around to putting in the replacement support bushing and it went in smooth as butter.

I also put the alignment sleeves in to get everything squared up (that is a huge PITA if you do it AFTER you already screwed up the subframe alignment, my fault).

Took the car in this morning to a local shop to double check all the alignment measurements around the car and she feels so much more solid and planted.

I really appreciate all the support from the Steeda team. Thank you again!
Sponsored