Rear hub nut - important warning to all

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just like to share this thread and my experience with you.

MOT advisory on NSR wheel bearing worn (play in the wheel). Car is a 2016 with 30k miles

After some snooping I found I was not alone in this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...k-those-axle-to-spindle-retaining-nuts.78909/

Ford in their cost cutting wisdom attach the rear hub using a giant castellated nut, but to penny pinch, deleted the split pin and machining process on the shaft.

End result with a 450bhp monster that has enough grunt to work the nut loose.

Now hereā€™s the important bit. Catch it quick and you will save the bearing. Leave it and you fry the bearing too.

The nut is single use - stretch threads I guess, so you canā€™t simply nip it up.

The new nut (which is no surprise ā€˜in stockā€™ at Ford) is different. castleations are gone and some thread lock tape is already on threads.

Icing on the cake is the main dealer damaged one of the wheel nuts so I had to hammer the socket on and destroy the nut to get it out of my socket. Luckily Ford left the old nuts in the boot from UK fit locking wheel nuts, so problem solved.

Anyway the key message here is if you jack up the car for any reason, check the wheels for play. Hold it top and top and bottom and see if it wobbles. A Ā£5 nut is a cheap and easy fix and if the nut was to work itā€™s way off, thatā€™s a major safety issue.
Checking this is probably a better use of 30 minutes today than a wash n polish :)
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Great advice my nsr went and was replaced under warranty. Check them every time it goes in garage there are torque figures somewhere. Mine were bang on 1000 or so miles back