Sponsored

Rear Caliper malfunction!

ObnoxiousGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT / 71 TORINO
So, I decided to powder coat my calipers; which was successful. But once I put my calipers back on, the park break works the opposite of how it should. When the park brake is up/supposedly engaged, the rear wheels turn freely, but when the park brake is down/ disengaged, the rear wheels are locked. Lol. I must have assembled something wrong. I'm guessing I put the pistons on the wrong side. But if anyone has experienced this, or knows the problem, could you please educate me. It'll be much appreciated.!
Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
It has been awhile since I did mine. Sounds like the ebrake lever on the caliper is not orientated correctly. There are 3 ball bearings in the base of the brake caliper bore that ride up a small ramp when you pull the brake handle. If it is not in the resting spot of these ramps when fully released, they will be on. Again, sounds like the lever arm is not positioned correctly on the shaft. I think they are splined.

OP
OP
ObnoxiousGt

ObnoxiousGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT / 71 TORINO
It has been awhile since I did mine. Sounds like the ebrake lever on the caliper is not orientated correctly. There are 3 ball bearings in the base of the brake caliper bore that ride up a small ramp when you pull the brake handle. If it is not in the resting spot of these ramps when fully released, they will be on. Again, sounds like the lever arm is not positioned correctly on the shaft. I think they are splined.
Yeah, they are splined from what I remember. What you're saying makes sense. That was one of the parts that was a alittle sketchy while I was assembling them. i'll pay close attention to it when I rework them this weekend. Is there any way to make sure it positioned correctly? ( beside matching up the stationery arm , with the arm that moves on the shaft) Thanks also.

OP
OP
ObnoxiousGt

ObnoxiousGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT / 71 TORINO
They should naturally spring to the "off" position. you can watch the shaft move in and out when you move the little lever.
MAN, THANKS! I finally got some time to check out my brakes and that was the issue. The info you gave, really helped! I really appreciate it!