Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
Quick bit of context:
I’ve been having some misfiring at startup so i figured the first order of business is to swap plugs. Pulled them out, they all looked normal.
New plugs in and it’s still misfiring. So I did a quick compression test. All good!

But when I pulled out the new plugs(only 20-40 miles on them) this is what they looked like.
Normally I would think this would indicate a lean condition but like I said the old plugs I just pulled out 20 miles earlier looked fine. One of the pictures shows some more distinct white deposits which made me think coolant but like I said the compression test checked out ok.

I’ve never check plugs running ethanol with so little miles before so I don’t know if what I’m looking at is normal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
48B9E3AC-144A-444D-BA9F-32794B3A39D8.jpeg
DEE2FE0E-91C7-46F5-ACA9-E83E10FD63C3.jpeg
12ABDF79-88CA-4D5F-A776-286E4037BF66.jpeg

AAA7C37C-F2CC-4D22-9357-DCCA9FCAC6D7.jpeg

0D82D7C7-FEAE-4552-A9D4-783B735CC57A.jpeg
Sponsored

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I don’t see anything too crazy, but I will say there is way too much anti seize on those plugs. A very small amount will suffice and if any anti seize gets on the tip of the plugs that will cause a misfire. Can you log individual cylinder misfire counts to see if the cylinders misfiring coincide with the discolored plugs?

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I don’t see anything too crazy, but I will say there is way too much anti seize on those plugs. A very small amount will suffice and if any anti seize gets on the tip of the plugs that will cause a misfire. Can you log individual cylinder misfire counts to see if the cylinders misfiring coincide with the discolored plugs?
Good advice :thumbsup:
I have an NGauge but I’m not sure how to log individual misfires. Any tips?

Just to clarify all the plugs looked pretty much the same. Cylinder 7 is the picture with the more noticeable white deposits. I threw the cylinder 7 misfire code. I would assume that’s the only one misfiring.

one thing I forgot to mention... cylinder 7 had higher compression than the rest of the cylinders by about 10%. Makes me think fluid got into it but i don’t know.

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Good advice :thumbsup:
I have an NGauge but I’m not sure how to log individual misfires. Any tips?

Just to clarify all the plugs looked pretty much the same. Cylinder 7 is the picture with the more noticeable white deposits. I threw the cylinder 7 misfire code. I would assume that’s the only one misfiring.

one thing I forgot to mention... cylinder 7 had higher compression than the rest of the cylinders by about 10%. Makes me think fluid got into it but i don’t know.
10% isn’t bad. Did you have the injectors unplugged during the test? I’m used to logging with hp tuners or with my scan tool. I’m not sure if the nguage will log individual cylinder misfires, but if you are getting a consistent p0307 code you might try swapping #7 coil and/or spark plug and see if the mis moves

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
10% isn’t bad. Did you have the injectors unplugged during the test? I’m used to logging with hp tuners or with my scan tool. I’m not sure if the nguage will log individual cylinder misfires, but if you are getting a consistent p0307 code you might try swapping #7 coil and/or spark plug and see if the mis moves
Yeah I hope it’s all OK… Getting nervous about a head gasket problem. I swapped coils today so we’ll see...

Sponsored

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Will that work if I’m running e85?
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't e85 still produces CO2 and that's what the kit works to detect though e85 produces less c02 so its possible the positive reading might not be as obvious. also that link was for a specific one idk why it would be showing multiples the uview 560000.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't e85 still produces CO2 and that's what the kit works to detect though e85 produces less c02 so its possible the positive reading might not be as obvious. also that link was for a specific one idk why it would be showing multiples the uview 560000.
Gotcha... sorry I meant which spark plug? I attach pictures of a couple different ones...

Sponsored

Gr8whtckrwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Briten
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Which one in particular? There are a couple pictured.
Gotcha... sorry I meant which spark plug? I attach pictures of a couple different ones...
This misfire at start up could very well be coolant getting into the cylinder, especially if the misfire is mostly happening after the car has sat for awhile and engine is cold.
With a cold engine, use whatever method you like so the engine won’t fire, turn over the engine A couple times and pull the plug and see if there is any coolant on it. Otherwise pull the plug and turn engine over a few times and you can also get some coolant that will blow out of the hole, assuming of course head gasket is bad and coolant is leaking into that cylinder.
This is an easy way to check and what I experienced when the head gasket was bad and only leaked with a cold engine and had misfires at start up on cylinder 6/7. Once the engine was warm it seemed like the gasket would seal enough to not leak enough to have misfire at start up codes.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
OK what do you consider good compression. The seven and eight cylinder are known for problems. As mentioned above after the car sits for a while pull the plugs and turn it over, see if anything spits out.
You can get a cooling system pressure test tool from Harbor freight, AutoZone, anywhere pretty much and pressurize your cooling system to see if it holds pressure. you can also go to any smog shop and for a few dollars they will open up your radiator and check for hydrocarbons in your cooling system. They can do it right in front of you it takes five minutes. I think that you are just denying the inevitable. you have a blown head gasket

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
OK what do you consider good compression. The seven and eight cylinder are known for problems. As mentioned above after the car sits for a while pull the plugs and turn it over, see if anything spits out.
You can get a cooling system pressure test tool from Harbor freight, AutoZone, anywhere pretty much and pressurize your cooling system to see if it holds pressure. you can also go to any smog shop and for a few dollars they will open up your radiator and check for hydrocarbons in your cooling system. They can do it right in front of you it takes five minutes. I think that you are just denying the inevitable. you have a blown head gasket
I think you’re probably right. If it is indeed a blown head gasket... can I just throw in a new gasket or do you always need to deck the head?
Jackson1320-I don’t understand your PM

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I think you’re probably right. If it is indeed a blown head gasket... can I just throw in a new gasket or do you always need to deck the head?
Jackson1320-I don’t understand your PM
It is a very good idea to mill the head but the block can normally take a beating and not need work. You will need to clean the block and straight edge it

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
It is a very good idea to mill the head but the block can normally take a beating and not need work. You will need to clean the block and straight edge it
Is there a way to know if the head needs to be milled?

also, are stud really helpful in reducing head flex or is that just a sales pitch?
Sponsored