Rattle/Knock from outside the car

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
I know there are a ton of threads about the infamous rattle, however, my son's 18 base has something that is quite different. when he drives over a fair sized bump he hears a knock and it's audible outside the car. my first thought was a blown shock that's bangin around on a bigger hit but I haven't had a chance to get it up on the jack stands to check it out. sounds is coming from the rear but it's not the interior rattle that has often been mentioned.

any ideas?? starting points to begin troubleshooting??
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I just started having a similar noise from the rear about a month ago. Almost sounds like something bouncing or thumping in the trunk. I jacked my car up and everything suspension wise is tight and firm. I even unloaded everything from my trunk to make sure if wasn't something back there bouncing around. Next thing I want to check is my rear bumper. When I was under there checking the suspension it seemed wiggle more than it should and may be the cause. Mine is an aftermarket bumper due to a wreck. If that isn't the cause I'll be at a loss.

LightningEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
I’ve had this before it’s definitely one of your rear shock absorbers. You can tell by looking at the rear joints it will more than likely be wet from leaking

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I know there are a ton of threads about the infamous rattle, however, my son's 18 base has something that is quite different. when he drives over a fair sized bump he hears a knock and it's audible outside the car. my first thought was a blown shock that's bangin around on a bigger hit but I haven't had a chance to get it up on the jack stands to check it out. sounds is coming from the rear but it's not the interior rattle that has often been mentioned.

any ideas?? starting points to begin troubleshooting??

If it's coming from the rear, check the rear upper shock mount that is seen behind the tire. Some have reported this part has torn from the sheet metal. Also check all of the linkage for the rear IRS and the sway bar links.

Sound can also travel, so if it's not the rear, check up front; there's a few threads on this site for failed upper front strut mounts.

This SSM was released for the GT350's regarding a front end clunk noise.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ssm-50672-front-end-“clunk”-or-“pop”-noise.176357/

Also the front strut mounts have been known to fail prematurely, causing a clunk noise from the front end:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...your-upper-front-strut-mount-bearings.130986/

OP
OP
bonz50

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
thx!! gotta try and get it on jack stands once he gets back from school over thanksgiving, get it diagnosed then and any parts ordered so we can repair over xmas break.

OP
OP
bonz50

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
further discussion with my son today and he's telling me it's from the front for sure now. so obviously check the front strut mounts, any other quick checks to do??

Thanks!!
Sponsored