Roger Ferguson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hi All
2 weeks old 2020 FN Mustang and radio/cd player has gone distorted anyone else with this problem? also can anyone tell me where the amp and or tuner are located please
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I didn’t think the 2020’s had CD’s anymore...

Seeing you have a 2020, the stereo is covered under the new car 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. Don’t mess with it, just let the dealer figure it out. If you try to tear things apart and aren’t able to fix it yourself, they’ll find a way of denying a warranty claim for tampering.

Not sure how the warranty works overseas, but I’d imagine the dealership who sold it to you also does Ford warranty work.

What do you mean by distorted - are the speakers crackling, static or something else? The “tuner” is integrated behind the center stack where you see the screen, it’s commonly referred to as the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module).

OP
OP

Roger Ferguson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I didn’t think the 2020’s had CD’s anymore...

Seeing you have a 2020, the stereo is covered under the new car 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. Don’t mess with it, just let the dealer figure it out. If you try to tear things apart and aren’t able to fix it yourself, they’ll find a way of denying a warranty claim for tampering.

Not sure how the warranty works overseas, but I’d imagine the dealership who sold it to you also does Ford warranty work.

What do you mean by distorted - are the speakers crackling, static or something else? The “tuner” is integrated behind the center stack where you see the screen, it’s commonly referred to as the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module).
Thanks for your reply, as I said CD and radio both distorted, so I would think it would be the amp(do you know where that is),
I have no intention of trying to fix it, took it to local Ford agent, they had it for 3 hours, taking out the head liner, where they said the amp was(I do not think so) They said they checked firmware and voltages!!, I have to take it back to them and they will probably have it for 2 days, they do not have any spares for the radio so without swapping out l do not know how they will fix it. Car is 2 weeks old, with 500kms on it.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Thanks for your reply, as I said CD and radio both distorted, so I would think it would be the amp(do you know where that is),
Hello; To me if both sources are distorted I would think the speakers or something else down stream from the CD/Radio unit. But as others have stated the car is still under a bumper to bumper warranty. I do not know about dealer availability where you live , but in my area I can go to any dealer I want. If the first shop does not know what they are doing as your comment about them removing a headliner suggests, then go to another.

While I have not seen every factory radio/CD player, the ones I have had out all had the CD/radio as a one piece integrated unit. While I get the components can be separate and individual pieces, I have not seen it. I have seen separate power amps in some setups tho. You may have individual components for all I know, but I figure the entire unit is where you stick in the CD.

I do not know about what sort of wire insulators Ford uses but some companies went to using SOY based plastic. I guess to be more green and get away from petroleum based plastic. Problem has been that critters like to chew on SOY wire insulation. Just a thought.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have no intention of trying to fix it, took it to local Ford agent, they had it for 3 hours, taking out the head liner, where they said the amp was(I do not think so) They said they checked firmware and voltages!!, I have to take it back to them and they will probably have it for 2 days, they do not have any spares for the radio so without swapping out l do not know how they will fix it. Car is 2 weeks old, with 500kms on it.
The stereo amp is not in the headliner. On a US version of the S550, the amp is usually located on the driver side behind the kick panel, tucked up a little near dash. In the Euro, since everything is flipped, I’m not sure if the amp would still be on the US “left” or on the Euro “right”. In either instance, the amp should be behind one of the front kick panels.

The only thing located up in the headliner would be the roof antenna and the mics for voice.

OP
OP

Roger Ferguson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
This was my first post as I am new to this site, thankyou for your replies, it has taken the shine of a a 2 week old new car, as I like to listen to music while my foot it on the throttle.
Sponsored