R wheels resin

Itisfun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
When dealing with carbon fiber helmets, Bicycle frames, carbon bicycle wheels all use basically the same resin to layer of the carbon. The integrity of the resin is only good for about five years per The manufactures. Assuming they use the same type a resin to layer the carbon r wheels what is going to be the life of these wheels. None of these items mentioned deal with the type of heat we are talking about with These wheels. I have no doubt the integrity of the carbon is fine it is the layering and resin that I would be concerned about. Thoughts!
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
When dealing with carbon fiber helmets, Bicycle frames, carbon bicycle wheels all use basically the same resin to layer of the carbon. The integrity of the resin is only good for about five years per The manufactures. Assuming they use the same type a resin to layer the carbon r wheels what is going to be the life of these wheels. None of these items mentioned deal with the type of heat we are talking about with These wheels. I have no doubt the integrity of the carbon is fine it is the layering and resin that I would be concerned about. Thoughts!
Im a layman but that would imply the super cars that have Carbon fiber chassis will only last five years? that doesnt seem right. (I dont see lexus making a car like that)

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I believe these are pre preg construction same as how supercar wheels are, Im certain they have a longer lifespan then 5 yrs. They were designed specifically for track usage.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I thought the reason CF shelled helmets were replaced were more due to the inner safety components rather than the CF shells...

OP
OP
Itisfun

Itisfun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
Nonsense. Uncured, the resin may get stale like anything; but once cured, it's good for life if cared for properly.
I was really only asking the question. Not implying that they would fail. This is somewhat unchartered territory as there is no history how they will hold up Under excessive heat or stress.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I was really only asking the question. Not implying that they would fail. This is somewhat unchartered territory as there is no history how they will hold up Under excessive heat or stress.
Uncharted for mustangs yes but not a new concept for other cars. This has been done for years. I would say the biggest mustang introduced variable is the number of miles and how many on a variety of street conditions.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's a good question. Only time will tell whether carbon fiber wheels are the best thing since sliced bread or whether it's a flash in the pan.

I'm hoping to see more and more CF wheels in the future.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
As an avid bicyclist I have some experience with carbon fiber parts replacing aluminum and steel components. I have yet to see a load bearing carbon tube fail. My current street bikes both have carbon seat posts, handlebars and few other items. I guess if I crashed hard enough I could break the bar or the seat post but none of the items have shown any sign of delimitation that would indicate deterioration of the resin. One bike is ten years old. None of my friends with carbon frames have had any failures that didn't involve sudden contact with cars.

But to put your mind at ease the latest Boeing jet liner the 777X is made with wings of carbon fiber. No issues there. Their 787 Dreamliner has made extensive use of composite components.

Sponsored

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Uncharted for mustangs yes but not a new concept for other cars. This has been done for years. I would say the biggest mustang introduced variable is the number of miles and how many on a variety of street conditions.
Uncharted? no. For Mustangs? yes. They've been using CF in the aerospace industry for over half a century. The CF I made and worked with while in the military were subject to much higher temperatures than brakes could ever emit. The amount of CF used on these wheels alone can stand up to immense pressures and heat.

obiwandado

15 Deep Impact EB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I was just answering; albeit in a forceful definitive manner. :cheers:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Uncharted? no. For Mustangs? yes. They've been using CF in the aerospace industry for over half a century. The CF I made and worked with while in the military were subject to much higher temperatures than brakes could ever emit. The amount of CF used on these wheels alone can stand up to immense pressures and heat.
Carbon fiber is one thing and the resin is another. Every product named carbon fiber is not identical.
Sponsored