Sponsored

Question - Roush Axle Back

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The roush is definitely notably louder with the stock resonator, but I liked it. If stock is 5/10 then the roush is a 7.5/10, while a resonator delete (H-pipe) only is a 7/10. I had both setups at different times and liked the sound quality on the roush with the stock reaonator a lot more than the H-pipe with stock mufflers.

i’ve since changed to a Corsa touring to cut down the total volume for some venues I run the car at. Roush was slightly too much.
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
The res delete with stock mufflers does increase the volume some but it sounds so tinny in person. Recommend hearing it in person first else you may be changing it again in under a month.

The Roush AB alone is not all that loud honestly. The stock resonator keeps it in check. If you do a res delete or CB it does get much louder. And if you go long tubes it gets stupid loud.

Cold starts are loud regardless even on stock mufflers but only last like 30-40 seconds on stock tune.

OP
OP
LIGHTNING350

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
The roush is definitely notably louder with the stock resonator, but I liked it. If stock is 5/10 then the roush is a 7.5/10, while a resonator delete (H-pipe) only is a 7/10. I had both setups at different times and liked the sound quality on the roush with the stock reaonator a lot more than the H-pipe with stock mufflers.

i’ve since changed to a Corsa touring to cut down the total volume for some venues I run the car at. Roush was slightly too much.
Thanks for the detailed reply man. Appreciate it! How do you like the corsa sound, deep? I know they don't drone. Where would you rate that on the 1-10 scale for loudness? Thanks.....

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed reply man. Appreciate it! How do you like the corsa sound, deep? I know they don't drone. Where would you rate that on the 1-10 scale for loudness? Thanks.....

If stock is a 4 or 5, the Corsa Touring AB is only a 5 or 6. Sounds great tho, but not that much of an upgrade

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
If stock is a 4 or 5, the Corsa Touring AB is only a 5 or 6. Sounds great tho, but not that much of an upgrade
The Touring AB is the same as the Sport CB. It's the more mild of the Corsa flavors but sounds excellent with long tubes. If never going headers then the Sport AB or Xtreme CB would be a good choice too. Also consider the AWE Touring CB. Would be a bit deeper than Corsa or Roush but zero drone still.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The Touring AB is the same as the Sport CB. It's the more mild of the Corsa flavors but sounds excellent with long tubes. If never going headers then the Sport AB or Xtreme CB would be a good choice too. Also consider the AWE Touring CB. Would be a bit deeper than Corsa or Roush but zero drone still.
Same mufflers part yes, but the "sport catback" is the corsa touring mufflers w/ their X-midpipe or something. Its different an louder because the catback replaces the midpipe too.

Just the mufflers alone are correctly called the "touring axle-back".

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Same mufflers part yes, but the "sport catback" is the corsa touring mufflers w/ their X-midpipe or something. Its different an louder because the catback replaces the midpipe too.

Just the mufflers alone are correctly called the "touring axle-back".
Correct just meant the muffler solution in AB form is the equivalent in the CB form.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I have had 27 muscle cars. Chevy, mopar and fords. All awesome cars and modified every single one of them, with the exhaust being one of the first mods always. So to answer your question, I want robust performance sound. However I have had the wake your neighbor loud and buzz your ears off stuff and I'm just over all that. I want more volume but not at the cost of annoyance. Being in my forties now the loud obnoxious stuff just isn't for me anymore. You know what I'm saying. Just want to make sure it's not over the top.
With the Mustang I currently have these:
DSCN4471.JPG

No buzz or obnoxious a shit exhaust and the immature driver will wake your neighbor. It's all in the way one drives, keep the foot in it, hammering the car every lite to say look at me. Then I agree, these are without any resonators, straight out BTW

Yes, you can hear them @ ideal, compression & cam pounding out the HP. Can drive loud and drive it mellow.

Oh and another thing that puts me off the roush slightly is the tips are dinky looking from just a little ways a way. They advertise 4 inch but there 3.5 and that half inch does make a difference with all that spacing in the exit of the tips.
I thought the same, but it is the way the tip flairs in, and the slash cut is not as pronounced as the Ford tips.
DSC_0039.JPG

And the reason for that is or has a more oval opening and appears larger.

I got 10 years on you, age has nothing to do with it
Cheers

OP
OP
LIGHTNING350

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to let the people who posted in this thread know, that I decided to go with the AWE Touring Cat back. Just something about that deep sound of it with the included Hpipe that I couldn't resist. I'm putting it on later today, very excited - hopefully it's a winner. One and done! Lol......
Thanks to everyone for there feedback!

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just wanted to let the people who posted in this forum know, that I decided to go with the AWE Touring Cat back. Just something about that deep sound of it with the included Hpipe that I couldn't resist. I'm putting it on later today, very excited - hopefully it's a winner. One and done! Lol......
You'll like it way more. Stock exhaust sounds good, but there's no comparison once you go with an aftermarket cat back. The volume level will surprise you though (although not in an annoying way).

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to let the people who posted in this thread know, that I decided to go with the AWE Touring Cat back. Just something about that deep sound of it with the included Hpipe that I couldn't resist. I'm putting it on later today, very excited - hopefully it's a winner. One and done! Lol......
Excellent choice. And it still sounds good if you ended up adding long tubes later.

Let us know your impressions once installed.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Hey all......

So I just picked up a 2020 5.0 premium. Thinking about doing the roush axle back. Here is my dilemma. I have the non active exhaust and I think it sounds great, I believe it's equal to a mustang in normal mode or sport mode with an equipped active exhaust. Anyways I would like just a little more volume/rumble from it and I'm really debating going for the Roush axle back. I just do not want it stupid loud and I hear although they don't drone that there one of the loudest axle backs. So some insight would be great.
Thanks.
Eric
Not a fan of the Roush nor the Steeda Aggressive for that matter. They are pretty much the same muffler. With the stock OEM suitcase resonator they sound pretty good. Once you start switching out the resonator to an xpipe or hpipe they don't sound very good. They are loud, trumpety and boomy. The issue I have is once they get above 4500rpm the sound is awful and aurally a mess.

OP
OP
LIGHTNING350

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent choice. And it still sounds good if you ended up adding long tubes later.

Let us know your impressions once installed.
I have had it installed about a week and half now. I am convinced I bought the best catback in existence for this car. Deep muscle sound that a mustang should sound like and zero drone all with a perfect amount of loudness without being obnoxious. It is an amazing system, what a home run AWE made with this exhaust. Couldn't be happier with my decision on getting this!!!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Not a fan of the Roush nor the Steeda Aggressive for that matter. They are pretty much the same muffler. With the stock OEM suitcase resonator they sound pretty good. Once you start switching out the resonator to an xpipe or hpipe they don't sound very good. They are loud, trumpety and boomy. The issue I have is once they get above 4500rpm the sound is awful and aurally a mess.

Well damn, I thought the Roush AB & X pipe was tits. But tomorrow I'm removing both of those.

Thank you, Karen, for sharing the automotive expert knowledge.

" They are loud, trumpety and boomy."

Hell, that sounds just like a marching band.

Don't think you would know boomy if you were hit in the face with a base drum.

LMAO

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Well damn, I thought the Roush AB & X pipe was tits. But tomorrow I'm removing both of those.

Thank you, Karen, for sharing the automotive expert knowledge.

" They are loud, trumpety and boomy."

Hell, that sounds just like a marching band.

Don't think you would know boomy if you were hit in the face with a base drum.

LMAO

Karen? Go intercourse yourself you goat blower!. You do understand that's what forums are about right? Sharing ideas and what way was I being a Karen? Just because I don't like that POS exhaust.
Sponsored