Question on camber arms -2017 gt

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
So I recently diagnosed a bad rear wheel bearing and after researching I see this can be a common issue on lowered s550's.

My thought is that if I install camber arms and get the wheel as straight (flat contact patch) as possible, this may alleviate some of the pressure that is put on the hub when lowered.

Am i wrong, would camber arms not help at all or should I look at getting a pair?

Thanks
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So I recently diagnosed a bad rear wheel bearing and after researching I see this can be a common issue on lowered s550's.

My thought is that if I install camber arms and get the wheel as straight (flat contact patch) as possible, this may alleviate some of the pressure that is put on the hub when lowered.

Am i wrong, would camber arms not help at all or should I look at getting a pair?

Thanks
No that does not change anything. The sprung mass on the tire is the same. Also you would not want to run near zero camber on the street, as the wheel camber would go positive in roll, a potentially dangerous situation. You always want -1 deg or more on the street. The wheel bearing issue is not a problem with being lowered but from the axle nuts backing off and causing premature failure. Also, wheels with less positive offset will decrease the life of bearings. Most lowered S550s also have aftermarket wheels like that.

OP
OP
LeagueRacing

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
Stock pp1 wheels though I do plan on aftermarket in the future.

Thanks for the insightful feedback Bmac

OP
OP
LeagueRacing

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
Curious though, never had the axel nut off as far as I know since the factory so is the axel nut backing off a common issue?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Curious though, never had the axel nut off as far as I know since the factory so is the axel nut backing off a common issue?
Yes. I would replace with the new one even if you don't have the issue yet. See the sticky in the driveline forum about axle nuts and bearing failures. There was a running change that is better.
Sponsored