Sponsored

Question for Track Pack Owners

TxShelby350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
Sorry for long response...

Same boat here. I really love my GTPP and was planning on supercharging it (probably Ford Racing/Roush just for their warranty purposes) until "the allocation" happened. I do want more performance, so investment is going to happen either way. So here's my real questions for non-tracking guys, hopefully those who upgraded from S550 w/PP:

1) Did you feel the $25-30K premium for this car was worth it? Does it really drive that much better? The driving experience is what matter most to me. I don't turn on radio, want to hear my exhaust and enjoy rowing the shifter (I think the S550 manual is leaps better than S197) and driving fun roads. I'm going to have to commit to this car without driving it, so have to rely on all you owners. I hear the comparisons to other higher-end vehicles, but I've never driven those either.

2) I've also wondered about just going base vs. track package because I don't track and don't need the coolers. Is magnetic ride worth $6,500? It would be worth it if comfort mode makes it ride like a regular GT (soft) as my wife hates the harsh ride of my GTPP when road tripping. Plus, probably better resale if I should have to get rid of it for any reason.

3) Does this motor, with it's fast spinning/revving FPC provide a near FI acceleration experience on the Coyote? Videos can't really tell you, but it looks like it might.

My build will be scheduled soon, so won't be able to change it shortly. It's track pack now because that needs to be default IMO if I don't know any better.

Thanks for any insight anyone could provide. I'm not a rich man, but can afford this GT350 (which is what makes it wonderful). It is however it is a big purchase and decision for me. I'd be happier at the base price, however $6,500 isn't really an issue if it's the right decision.
If you are not going to track the car my advice would be to get the tech package. More comfortable seats, better stereo, same handling and power. Will be more comfortable for road trips and your wife will most likely enjoy it more.
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That's the beauty of the Voodoo, it HOLDS its torque. Makes the Coyote look like almost like a pushrod motor.
I finally drove mine back to back and man, its really quite a stark difference. And what the graph doesnt show is how quickly the GT350 climbs through the rev range. Much much faster under load and blipping on downshifts. The coyote felt borderline anemic with its throttle response

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
I love the rear view camera. It's so convenient for parking.
Its definitely nice, but I can't see mine for shit. Screen is really to small and too far away to be useful without leaning forward and putting your face to it IMO

but again im used to coupes w/o them to begin with so its a nice feature.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
Its definitely nice, but I can't see mine for shit. Screen is really to small and too far away to be useful without leaning forward and putting your face to it IMO

but again im used to coupes w/o them to begin with so its a nice feature.
Maybe time for a trip to the eye doctor? lol jk But I do agree that the screen could stand to be bigger. They should've put the Sync 3 in this car from the get go, but that's really a non issue to me.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I loved my GTPP 2015 and now my son owns it. The GT is a better daily driver than my Trak Pak 2016 GT350 (triple yellow black roof).

I miss the more comfy Recaro's and the sync3 of my GT. But, the GT350 is world's better at every level except for My Color in the dash, the pony lights and more creature comforts. Being ironic here. But, there's no substitute for the GT350 trak pak for the pure pleasure and thrill of driving fast. It wakes up after 5000rpm. Funny, but when I want more comfort I now drive my Willys Jeep and that's not too often.

Pd. i agree with those that think the Recaros in the trak GT350 are tight and the stereo is not the best, Who cares! As for the seats, I take the wallet off my pocket and things are fine. As for the stereo, just add Led Zepellin to the sound of the exhaust (sport please) and find Heaven.

Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Sorry for long response...

Same boat here. I really love my GTPP and was planning on supercharging it (probably Ford Racing/Roush just for their warranty purposes) until "the allocation" happened. I do want more performance, so investment is going to happen either way. So here's my real questions for non-tracking guys, hopefully those who upgraded from S550 w/PP:

1) Did you feel the $25-30K premium for this car was worth it? Does it really drive that much better? The driving experience is what matter most to me. I don't turn on radio, want to hear my exhaust and enjoy rowing the shifter (I think the S550 manual is leaps better than S197) and driving fun roads. I'm going to have to commit to this car without driving it, so have to rely on all you owners. I hear the comparisons to other higher-end vehicles, but I've never driven those either.

2) I've also wondered about just going base vs. track package because I don't track and don't need the coolers. Is magnetic ride worth $6,500? It would be worth it if comfort mode makes it ride like a regular GT (soft) as my wife hates the harsh ride of my GTPP when road tripping. Plus, probably better resale if I should have to get rid of it for any reason.

3) Does this motor, with it's fast spinning/revving FPC provide a near FI acceleration experience on the Coyote? Videos can't really tell you, but it looks like it might.

My build will be scheduled soon, so won't be able to change it shortly. It's track pack now because that needs to be default IMO if I don't know any better.

Thanks for any insight anyone could provide. I'm not a rich man, but can afford this GT350 (which is what makes it wonderful). It is however it is a big purchase and decision for me. I'd be happier at the base price, however $6,500 isn't really an issue if it's the right decision.
I own a GTPP and had the chance to drive a GT350R on the full course at Sebring and the GT350 TP on the club course. After I drove the R on the full course I went home that Sunday and tried to figure out the best way to get one. I went back Monday and purposely chose the TP to see if I felt a difference. I left that experience underwhelmed. Disappointed even. I'm not sure why. The only thing I can think is that Sunday at the track I was in my BRZ. Monday I drove the GTPP (wife's daily driver) to Sebring for the track tour and the chance to drive the TP. I was comparing the GTPP directly with the TP on the same day.

The drive back home (80 miles) I kept thinking that I could not justify the premium for the GT350TP. This is from a guy that would really want the coolers as I do a bunch of track days. Do I really need 90 more HP? Absolutely in my BRZ but in the Mustang? IDK. The premium for the GT350 being worth it is one of those things that is directly related to your income. I could afford one and pay cash for it, but the difference in cost would still be an impact in my account that I am not willing at this point to pay.

What I am hoping for is a GTTP that includes coolers, Recaros and Magnetic Suspension. A real 1LE equal.

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
All good here. I don't even mind the radio. Nav on my phone.

Just need a good radar mount.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
I own a GTPP and had the chance to drive a GT350R on the full course at Sebring and the GT350 TP on the club course. After I drove the R on the full course I went home that Sunday and tried to figure out the best way to get one. I went back Monday and purposely chose the TP to see if I felt a difference. I left that experience underwhelmed. Disappointed even. I'm not sure why. The only thing I can think is that Sunday at the track I was in my BRZ. Monday I drove the GTPP (wife's daily driver) to Sebring for the track tour and the chance to drive the TP. I was comparing the GTPP directly with the TP on the same day.

The drive back home (80 miles) I kept thinking that I could not justify the premium for the GT350TP. This is from a guy that would really want the coolers as I do a bunch of track days. Do I really need 90 more HP? Absolutely in my BRZ but in the Mustang? IDK. The premium for the GT350 being worth it is one of those things that is directly related to your income. I could afford one and pay cash for it, but the difference in cost would still be an impact in my account that I am not willing at this point to pay.

What I am hoping for is a GTTP that includes coolers, Recaros and Magnetic Suspension. A real 1LE equal.
Not really what I want to hear since I have an FRS. If my 1000lb lighter FRS had 90 more normally aspirated horsepower (200HP stock), I might not look at a GT350. Alas, it does not and the track I instruct at is mostly about power and braking, which is marginal with an FRS nee-BRZ.

What got me looking for a Mustang again was driving a student's supercharged S550 GTTP, but then the GT350 arrived on the horizon.

I'm hoping some lighter wheels and stickier tires will bring out the Track Pack's inner-R. I'll know in another month or so when my Track Pack arrives.

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
If you've already come to terms with the cost difference, I don't think you will be disappointed. The R's tires and aero did make a noticeable difference. Tires are easily replaced.

Stereo is crap though. I have a Focus RS ordered to replace my BRZ. I'm going nuts waiting. I keep thinking about a GT350 as I can get one now. The stereo is one of the obstacles. May not be much for some but I put 36k miles driving to track events in my BRZ in 20 months. I need some tunes for those long trips. RS at least has the Sync 3.

B17drvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th LE #48
I did 3 days on track last week and put over 300 miles on the track. No cooling issues no brake fade. I let about 10 other guys try out the car and they loved it. They ran it hard too. I love my track pack.

Sponsored

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I test drove a GTPP and Ecoboost, and spent several days in a C7 Vette at a driving school, but other than that have not spent time in a V8 (and haven't spent time in a base version GT350 either), so with that, here are my thoughts:

1. I thought the GTPP felt too soft and under-damped. The rear especially seemed unsettled compared to my 350Z. The shifter was very good, and the engine felt strong, but overall the car didn't quite do it for me (I figured that I would need to do shock work if I were to get one). I had planned on getting the GT350 though, so I was mostly interested in the interior (room for kids, driving position, steering feel, etc). I thought the Mustang felt great in those respects. I bought the GT350 on faith, since I also never had a chance to sit in it, but after watching (and hearing) the development videos on the nurburgring, I felt it was a safe bet to order one over a C7.

2. I do track, so I wanted the cooling. I've also heard great things about mag ride in other cars, and wanted that as well. I was hoping that the adjustability would mean that Ford could make it very stiff in track mode, while softening it up for the street. I was concerned that the base version would be softer than I wanted in track mode due to compromising it for street use. Not sure if that's the case, but I will say that the adjustability of the mag shocks is pretty awesome. It is a little too soft in normal mode for me, but great for cruising or when you are forced to go over choppy roads. I was very surprised with how comfortable the car was when cruising. Not sure exactly how it compares to a GTPP though. I suspect it may be a bit stiffer, but more well damped, which may mask the stiffness since the ride isn't bouncy. Sport mode is just about perfect for street driving IMO. The car feels sharper and much more sporty. Track mode is stiffer still, although may a bit frenetic for the street at times. In the GM world, the mag shocks are a $2000 option, so I don't know if they are worth $6500 for that feature alone. Personally, I would get the track pack even if I weren't tracking the car, because I believe that every car with this much power should have the coolers necessary to support high duty-cycle use of that power. Also, for me, the mag shocks work so well that I wouldn't want to do without them. If I had a chance to test drive multiple versions and really compare the base suspension tuning to the track pack tuning, I might change my mind, but without the chance to test drive, I'd go for the gold and get the mag shocks.

3. The engine is a little soft below 3500 RPM. It isn't a huge issue if you are willing to shift to get above that, but the car won't have that stump pulling torque in low gear like most American V8's are known for. Once you wind it out though, the feel is pretty amazing. And that doesn't mean the car is slow at lower RPMs either, just that it feels soft compared to how it pulls in higher RPMs. If you compare the torque curves to a Coyote V8, it is making similar power up to ~5000 RPM, and then it just keeps pulling and pulling.

Here is my engine dyno compared to a stock coyote:

You can see that the torque isn't terribly different, but the car just sustains that torque up to a much higher RPM. So, first gear acceleration won't feel much different than the Coyote, until the Coyote's owner shifts at 35 MPH (or whatever) and the Voodoo owner keeps going to 50+. So it's a bit of a different feel due to having essentially the same gearing and torque as the GTPP but with more RPM. Also different than an FI Coyote with way more torque, but lower RPM. My car is making ~460 RWHP, while an FI Coyote is more like 600+. It will definitely not feel as fast as the FI experience, but even so I think the engine sounds and feels awesome, and I typically drive it leisurely around 2000 RPM or spiritedly at ~ 2500-5000.

Overall the car is pretty amazing IMO.

-T
Thanks for the time you took to write this! I've seen that dyno comparison before on this forum, saved it to my tablet and studied it. Agreed, for 90% or more of my driving the Coyote might even feel better. But that other 10%... Gotta be awesome! And trust me, I will find red line in at least the first three gears with my desolate roads where I live.

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2

Thank you for another perspective. Interesting feedback.

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Wish I lived where it doesn't snow 5 months a year, I'd have both and drop the F-150! Trying to convince kids they'd enjoy life more in AZ. ;)

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think Ford should definitely do this when they do a mid cycle refresh. If nothing else, I think it would really make the car more competitive with the Camaro from a handling standpoint.

-T

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Maybe time for a trip to the eye doctor? lol jk But I do agree that the screen could stand to be bigger. They should've put the Sync 3 in this car from the get go, but that's really a non issue to me.
Actually it is time. I do wear glasses and prescription sunglasses and even with them on its tough. Hoping to get corrective surgery done in the next 16 months. Also im spoiled with the size of the backup camera on my raptor lol. Honestly the full screen for a back up cam was a bit of a reason I wanted sync 3 along with a cleaner appearance, but track pack won in the end for cooling functions
Sponsored