Sponsored

Question for the master cylinder and brake booster upgrade.

Peter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ouyang
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello guys, So I have a 2017 manual mustang gt base, I did change the brembo 6piston and I have been running it a lot on the track. Im using some good pads and fluid, Hawk DTC 70 front 60 back, Castrol SRF racing oil, and the rotor im using STOPTECH CRYO-SLOTTED ROTOR. Overall the brake performance just dont satisfy me at all. Some people had the same experience tould me that if it will be a game change if I change the master cylinder and the brake booster. I found the part number of the master cylinder that I have to change as FR3Z-2140-A, but Ford tell me that the brake booster number in this video does not exists. So I just want to ask u guys if anyone know whats the part number for the brake booster that fits my car. BTW I had a diff swap from 3.73 to the same year shelby gt350 3.55, when I was checking different booster, some of them have the diff numbers on, idk if this will effect the booster I have to change.

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
First, this claim has been debunked several times. Second, 2018+ use a different design booster. So none of the information applies to your 2017.

We sold a ton of brake kits and not one person ever had an issue requiring the M/C to be changed.

Ford Performance has offered a similar kit since 2015 and never have they recommended a M/C change. The GT350 with much larger caliper piston surface area uses the same m/c in your car.

Look more into brake bedding issues and bleeding the system along with a biasing the brake compounds to better match the OEM ABS programming.

GT350's never came with anything but 3.73's so I believe you just are referring to 3.55's from Ford/Ford Performance.

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
i too did this upgrade and did not need a new master cylinder. i think this concept never died out because there was never an explanation of why there are 4+ mcā€™s offered for our cars. does anyone actually know what the differences are? is the piston larger in some? is the volume bigger, etc. what effect would these changes have on brake performance. this is probably a higher level q that only a brake engineer would be able to answer.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
i too did this upgrade and did not need a new master cylinder. i think this concept never died out because there was never an explanation of why there are 4+ mcā€™s offered for our cars. does anyone actually know what the differences are? is the piston larger in some? is the volume bigger, etc. what effect would these changes have on brake performance. this is probably a higher level q that only a brake engineer would be able to answer.
Two different M/C's, 1-1/16" and 1-1/8" bore if I recall. Base brakes and GT350 used the 1-1/16. Performance Pack GT's used the 1-1/8". The OE m/c came with attached reservoirs. Auto cars did not have a fluid supply line for the clutch. So 4 different part numbers. Aftermarket m/c may not come with a reservoir so its only 2 part numbers for all cars.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The difference in total piston area among the 4 & 6 pot caliper options is pretty minimal. The 2 master cylinder options will make a small pedal effort difference. The smaller master cylinder will have a lower effort.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well for starrters, what about the on track brake performance is an issue for you?

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
i bet the pp brake booster delivers more boost. when people swap the pp mc and booster and think they have ā€˜betterā€™ braking itā€™s probably all from the booster.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
i bet the pp brake booster delivers more boost. when people swap the pp mc and booster and think they have ā€˜betterā€™ braking itā€™s probably all from the booster.
I find the PP parts are almost too responsive, almost considered switching it out to have some pedal travel to help with modulation and not so on/off but I also drove a single M/C manual drum brake 66 Bronco.
Sponsored