Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
If I am not mistaken, the VMP kits for 2015-2017 models had fans on the HE. I really don't care for that. From what I have heard, the fans are noisy and actually detrimental when moving at speed. I like Whipple's huge HE better. Of course, it is possible that I could be persuaded otherwise.....

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I have the fans on the heat exchanger on my 17 and absolutely love it. Wouldn’t want it without it.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have the fans on the heat exchanger on my 17 and absolutely love it. Wouldn’t want it without it.
Thanks for the input. Question: Do the fans run all the time when the engine is running or are they like the radiator fans that only run when temps are over a certain point?

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I'm on the other side of the coin. I have the VMP H/E without the fans. But, I don't go to the 1/4 mile strip and all my horsing around and carrying on is around the turns, twistys and occasional highway *ss haulin'.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
So, I contacted a well known "corporate" Roush salesman about the Phase 2 kit the other day.
There definitely is a Phase 2 kit coming out soon, but I couldn't get any info of him about it. He said as soon as it is available, he will post it up on Facebook/let me know.

I do have a contact inside Roush as well. He sold me my first Mustang/first Roush Stage 3 car. He now works for Roush, I have both his number and email address.
I'm sure I'm not going to get any information out of him as well.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I just hope we have info before the end of the month. If the phase 2 has corrected the cooling flaws, I will wait for it. If not, I would like to get something else during the black friday sales.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Did you guys see the quarter mile run @Toydoctor had the other day??
Great stuff. A new personal best for him. Congrats.
Good time and good MPH. All with a 6 speed manual to boot! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Did you guys see the quarter mile run @Toydoctor had the other day??
Great stuff. A new personal best for him. Congrats.
Good time and good MPH. All with a 6 speed manual to boot! :thumbsup:
Toy doctor is a SMART guy, but even he said in a PM it took A LOT of extra mods to make his Roush run 10’s, no doubt in a 6sp that’s even more impressive but I’m not doing a killer chiller or ice tank just to make my Roush go 10’s

Not spending another 1500-2000 just to make a kit work, that’s where Toy Doctor was amazing, making his own parts saved him serious coin but again he said his AC doesn’t work to well in the cabin

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Toy doctor is a SMART guy, but even he said in a PM it took A LOT of extra mods to make his Roush run 10’s, no doubt in a 6sp that’s even more impressive but I’m not doing a killer chiller or ice tank just to make my Roush go 10’s

Not spending another 1500-2000 just to make a kit work, that’s where Toy Doctor was amazing, making his own parts saved him serious coin but again he said his AC doesn’t work to well in the cabin
Yeah, I don't blame you about not wanting to spend another 2k to make it go 10's.

When you say,......"a lot of mods", it's only the two, correct? He has the original Roush tune, meth kit and his homemade killer chiller, IIRC.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah, I don't blame you about not wanting to spend another 2k to make it go 10's.

When you say,......"a lot of mods", it's only the two, correct? He has the original Roush tune, meth kit and his homemade killer chiller, IIRC.

Do u know how to make a killer chiller, I can wrench but I haven't a clue nor do I wanna try. A GOOD kit is $1500+ (Australian Company) plus our AC compressor isn’t designed for it anyway, that’s why he is having cooling issues in the cabin

A good meth kit is $500, plus an ice tank would be another $250+

Not interested doing all this to make a Roush Kit run tens. I applaud Toy Doctor for designing extra mods to attain his goal but there is no way I’d do that on top of dropping $7000

More and more I’m leaning toward EB (10lbs) tuned by Lund on 93/Additive

Last edited:

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Hlfbkd420 and I were talking about an easy way to turn on the factory fans and the IC water pump with out the engine running.

If you were at a track with a nominal temp around 50 to 70 degrees. A Roush with an A10 would have to run 10s with IC water that is at least close to ambient. Ice tank seems to much of a pain and a chiller is out of the question. I’m working on a quick and cheap mod for guys to cool their car down between runs by using the factory fans.

If I was an auto with my mods, I should be in the low 10s. A factory untouched roush kit on an A10 should be in the high 10s. The tune will allow it, I’ve proved that. Just need to remove the heat!

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hlfbkd420 and I were talking about an easy way to turn on the factory fans and the IC water pump with out the engine running.

If you were at a track with a nominal temp around 50 to 70 degrees. A Roush with an A10 would have to run 10s with IC water that is at least close to ambient. Ice tank seems to much of a pain and a chiller is out of the question. I’m working on a quick and cheap mod for guys to cool their car down between runs by using the factory fans.

If I was an auto with my mods, I should be in the low 10s. A factory untouched roush kit on an A10 should be in the high 10s. The tune will allow it, I’ve proved that. Just need to remove the heat!

Exactly, and here in lies the problem

The 18+ kits seem to be heat soaked to easily and dont seem to recover?

I don’t wanna spend 7000k and continue to bandaid a kit to go 10’s, however to go 10’s on a Roush canned tune is very impressive, I know whipples has but I don't think EB has done it yet?

You have your car trapping serious mph too for a canned tune kit, impressive

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
83 pages later.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
If I were just going to the strip in early spring or late fall when temps are lower, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Roush. However, I like to run all summer. In spite of the stereotypes about how cold Minnesota can be, it gets HOT and HUMID here in June, July and August. That is when our tracks run their "street legal drags" on Wednesday nights and I like to participate in those. That is why cooling is very critical to me.