Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
If 420's car is operating as intended, Jack Roush should be embarrassed to have his name associated with this kit. Jack is an old drag racer. Surely, the folks at Roush industries realize that a number of people who buy this kit or a Roush car will take it to the strip.

I am still hopeful that a problem and solution will be found.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Part of me doesn't feel like this is tune related. Not sure how the tune can cool off the IC when it's off and sitting for 2 hours in 75 degree weather with the hood open and a block of ice on top of the blower. Unless its not turning on the fans when it's supposed to. (which, last night they didn't turn on even when I put the car in accessory mode).

After watching the VMP video that was posted, I'm hoping its either a pump or the HE not quite doing it's job. The tune seems to be doing what it's supposed to by closing the TB to keep the IAT2 from running away. They mentioned it starts closing at 150 degrees with the Roush tune.

Hopefully they can figure something out.

Maybe air in the lines too?

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If 420's car is operating as intended, Jack Roush should be embarrassed to have his name associated with this kit. Jack is an old drag racer. Surely, the folks at Roush industries realize that a number of people who buy this kit or a Roush car will take it to the strip.

Me too, it’s gotta be something overlooked

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL

Well... After the call to Roush on Monday I'm going to try and get it back to the dyno. Last time it was 599whp and it was pretty warm out. That was on the old hardware and tune.

Mustang.jpg

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang making nearly 600 HP on the dyno and 550 lbs/ft of torque should run 11 flat to 11.2 on the strip in 2500 DA. Should be in the mid to high 120s trap speed.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Man has Roush screwed the pooch putting out such a substandard system. They did a good job with the 2300 and would think the 2650 would be an improvement and it’s not. Roush needs to address this going forward and take care of those who already have it.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well... After the call to Roush on Monday I'm going to try and get it back to the dyno. Last time it was 599whp and it was pretty warm out. That was on the old hardware and tune.

Mustang.jpg
I’m thinking you have an issue. Especially when VMP and OZ both ran 11.1 on the older Roush tune on single passes. Roush ran a 10.88 on their newer tune. So stock numbers on a cool Night aren’t right. I’m no expert but hopefully they find a Pump or something is the cause and offer a replacement

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Btw Roush is rolling out the highest HP Roush of all time at SEMA. My guess this is a car with the latest tune so keep your eyes on it to see what the number is.

Bloney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I’m thinking you have an issue. Especially when VMP and OZ both ran 11.1 on the older Roush tune on single passes. Roush ran a 10.88 on their newer tune. So stock numbers on a cool Night aren’t right. I’m no expert but hopefully they find a Pump or something is the cause and offer a replacement
I agree, mph is an indicator of hp. Obviously the throttle closing is the issue with the loss of power. I'm sure something is amiss. Getting with Roush, letting them valuate the logs will hopefully reveal an issue.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I haven't given up on Roush. However making big dyno numbers is meaningless if the only way to achieve them is in 50 degree weather. They are also worthless if they cannot be reasonably repeated after one pull due to heat.

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
@hlfbkd420 you are making a good observation based upon watching the activity of your fans. You don’t even realize it, but you are heating up the Intercooler water just by allowing the engine to cool. The Intercooler brick acts like a big heat sink
By soaking up all the ambient heat from the engine block itself. The water will heat up almost to engine temps with out any fans running. At this point it’s pretty hard to remove the heat with out driving the car or having additional fans.

You can actually benefit by having the a/c on while the engine is running due to the cooling fans running constantly. The fans will just cycle with rise and fall of engine temps with the a/c is off. I entertained the idea of adding an extra circuit to command the fans on full speed to specifically cool the Intercooler radiator. I went the chiller route instead.

If you want your car to perform at the track, you will have to put some attention to the Intercooler cooling system. I guarantee that guys that are doing well at the track are doing stuff behind the scenes that they aren’t talking about. I know it’s annoying most people just want to show up with their street car and run. It’s just not that simple with these kits.

Bloney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
@hlfbkd420 you are making a good observation based upon watching the activity of your fans. You don’t even realize it, but you are heating up the Intercooler water just by allowing the engine to cool. The Intercooler brick acts like a big heat sink
By soaking up all the ambient heat from the engine block itself. The water will heat up almost to engine temps with out any fans running. At this point it’s pretty hard to remove the heat with out driving the car or having additional fans.

You can actually benefit by having the a/c on while the engine is running due to the cooling fans running constantly. The fans will just cycle with rise and fall of engine temps with the a/c is off. I entertained the idea of adding an extra circuit to command the fans on full speed to specifically cool the Intercooler radiator. I went the chiller route instead.

If you want your car to perform at the track, you will have to put some attention to the Intercooler cooling system. I guarantee that guys that are doing well at the track are doing stuff behind the scenes that they aren’t talking about. I know it’s annoying most people just want to show up with their street car and run. It’s just not that simple with these kits.
Exactly! all the drag racing I've done, gotta get it cooled off detween rounds. I know the op allowed cool down time but when you start the car and the IAT2 temps are elevated, something's not stirring the koolaid. It'll get figured out I'm sure.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
Btw Roush is rolling out the highest HP Roush of all time at SEMA. My guess this is a car with the latest tune so keep your eyes on it to see what the number is.
Roush's numbers =\ real world performance guys...

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
I hope that's the case.. Similar temps on street tires in march in VERY similar conditions netted a 12.2 @ 123.. I haven't seen those numbers since and my car has been tuned twice since then. And the newest hardware installed.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
So random question and probably not a good idea, but what about turning a can of compressed air upside down and spraying it below the blower. Super cold... would it hurt?

Getting ready to dodge tomatoes here.