Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Yeah, the tuners who specialize in Mustangs can do wonders with trans tuning. Until the 10A came along, I suspect Roush had almost no focus on automatics. Mustangs were almost always manuals until 2018.
They had some issues tuning my 2015.... Mine was the first auto they did from what i was told... the initial tune was eh.... but i had some issues with noises inbetween shifts. Everyone thought it was detonation.... They eventually worked it out and in the process stopped offering the 625 hp kit and only released the 670.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just remember removing tq management and bumping line psi is easy if you dont want a warranty

Roush is trying give u both, a warrantied tune along with good drivability.

I’m sure it’s tricky, even after yrs of tuning cars

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember removing tq management and bumping line psi is easy if you dont want a warranty

I don't get the reasoning behind the torque management.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)

I agree. I spoke with VMP about that exact thing. He said they would reduce the TM so I wouldn't notice it but still retain some for safety. He also seemed confident that the 10A was quite robust and capable of handling 650 or more whp without issue even with TA substantially removed.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I don't get the reasoning behind the torque management.
Almost every modern car has it. Timing is pulled or TB is slightly closed just before the shift....then the shift occurs....and power is reapplied. Makes the shifts smooth and prevents driveline shock.

I have had my last 3 cars tuned and it is clear what happens in the data logs. My Lincoln Continental was damn near closing the throttle at the shift point. Tuners can reduce or completely eliminate it. They can also make the power loss time shorter. They also play with line pressure and torque converter lock up strategy.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
So strangmode threw a bag of ice on his blower. People told him it was bad but he claimed that with blowers that have the intercooler on top of the rotor pack, like the gt500 and Odin, that isn’t the case. Sounds like someone who knew told him that.

i think you can guess why I posted this
C0201232-4511-4652-B675-CB276D4A880C.png

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Seems that I recall reading somewhere that stock Mustangs in drag mode have zero torque management....that they shift equivalently to snap shifting a manual without lifting off the throttle. That is the way mine felt and my tuner didn't change it.

Roush has clearly tweaked drag mode for warranty reasons. I really can't tell the difference between it and Sport with my cal.

EDIT. Here it is.

Ford says the freshened 2018 Mustang will be its fastest pony car ever, going from 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds with its new optional "drag strip" mode. ... "Typically, when you shift gears, you give up time," said Carl Widmann, Mustang's chief engineer. "In Drag Strip mode, the engine torque doesn't drop when you're shifting.Jul 24, 2017

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Seems that I recall reading somewhere that stock Mustangs in drag mode have zero torque management....that they shift equivalently to snap shifting a manual without lifting off the throttle. That is the way mine felt and my tuner didn't change it.

Roush has clearly tweaked drag mode for warranty reasons. I really can't tell the difference between it and Sport with my cal.

EDIT. Here it is.

Ford says the freshened 2018 Mustang will be its fastest pony car ever, going from 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds with its new optional "drag strip" mode. ... "Typically, when you shift gears, you give up time," said Carl Widmann, Mustang's chief engineer. "In Drag Strip mode, the engine torque doesn't drop when you're shifting.Jul 24, 2017
Drag mode with advance trac off (traction control held up for 5-7 sec). Without that drag mode still has some nannies on by default.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Drag mode with advance trac off (traction control held up for 5-7 sec). Without that drag mode still has some nannies on by default.
Oh yes. When I was on my stock p zero tires, I couldn't use drag mode. The car would basically shut down on the 1-2 shift. Once I put on a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials, that problem was solved, though.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I haven't noticed any problem with the manual....except still get Rev hang from time to time.

I agree that the manuals are probably not affected at all, only the auto with the quirky shifting issues. It’s mind blowing how aftermarket tuners can dial in these transmissions cals and Roush can’t clean it up and not have so many nannies in it where it affects drivability. That’s really my only beef is the transmission calibration.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Does anyone know if Roush tunes out the stock top speed limiter?

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Guys with a H pipe and a Roush axle back
How does it sound?

Right now I have the H with stock non active mufflers, it sounds great (no drone) but would like a teeny bit more sound under throttle (2000-4000 rpm)

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
It willl be a more than a tiny bit lol

Guys with a H pipe and a Roush axle back
How does it sound?

Right now I have the H with stock non active mufflers, it sounds great (no drone) but would like a teeny bit more sound under throttle (2000-4000 rpm)

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
@ Stymee This is hardly any throttle and with the Steeda axle backs that are very close in sound to the Roush. For some reason the manuals sound louder and definitely have a lot more gurgling.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to mention this was the day of install. It acutally got louder after a few days but not obnoxious.