Question about the Rain Tray

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Tray out. Love the look. Can always reinstall.
22BACC4C-C14D-4C1C-A216-333EE1E3DB4D.jpeg
Sponsored

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
There is zero doubt that more heat escapes with the rain tray removed. There is zero doubt the hood lifts a lot less with the rain tray removed.

In my personal experience being caught in a heavy rain, and then leaving the car in said heavy rain, after stopping for several hours, only left me with minimal water on my air box cover & degas bottle. Same results washing the car.

Good enough for me.
Any idea around what speed the hood lift starts happening? That's an interesting aerodynamic observation....especially if it's below 80mph or so.

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea around what speed the hood lift starts happening? That's an interesting aerodynamic observation....especially if it's below 80mph or so.
I can only speak of mine, but driving it home from purchasing it on the freeway the hood near the windshield was vibrating and bouncing up and down at 60-70 MPH. So much so that I pulled over to open the hood to see it something was loose. Got home took the tray out and went for another ride and the vibrations and shaking were gone.

I live in the SF Bay Area and never drive the car in the rain so not worried. I've washed my car a couple dozen times with garden hose and spray nozzle and no water gets in. Of course I'm careful spraying on the vents I usually just lightly spray that area and clean with a cloth. The rest of the hood I just spray around the vents.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Interesting, I have it in still, I took her up to 120 on a nice open no traffic stretch and I did not see any vibration or hood lifting.

Sponsored

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
The question answers itself....why is it removable? Why do you remove it at the track? Because it has performance improvements without it. (Heat removal and aerodynamic benefits)
My guess is that it is installed with the thought of sitting for extended periods of time out in the elements before purchase, and for the owner that doesn't know anything more than they have a cool, expensive car that gets driven to and from cars and coffee events.

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been raining all day and I drove to work so here’s a quick video of the effects of leaving the rain tray out on a Python hood vent.

Great post Evolvd thanks for sharing. I think your Engine is now toast though will "all that water" in the engine bay. lol

If you didn't open the hood what little water in there would have vaporized once the engine comes up to temp.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Nice post, good information, thanks.

I can add that I had even less water in my experience.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Great post Evolvd thanks for sharing. I think your Engine is now toast though will "all that water" in the engine bay. lol

If you didn't open the hood what little water in there would have vaporized once the engine comes up to temp.
I think it’s funny people stress so much about this. The majority of the water intrusion was from the car sitting still in the parking lot and 90% of it was on the radiator support and intake tube…exactly where the rain tray dumps any water it collects.
Sponsored