Question about cooling fan operation

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Current tune for VMP 2.3 has the fan on at all times with the car powered up, whether or not the engine is running. Also runs after shutdown, sometimes as long as 5 minutes. Is it possible to change the tune so the fan runs only with the engine on?
Sponsored

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
I assume that you are talking about the heat exchanger fans? if so the fans are usually wired in with the heat exchanger pump so any time the pump runs the fans will run. Like you stated, anytime the accessories are on the fan will come on and will stay on a little after the car is off. No a tune will not fix that, you can either put a thermostat on the signal wire or put a manual switch on.

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that, Red. Wasn't what I hoped for, but it's an answer at least. Yes, I meant the engine cooling fan. It's clear why it's on all the time when the engine is running because of the supercharger, but for the life of me I can't figure why the tune can't be changed to make the fan run only with "key on - engine on" as they used to call it.

Time for a 12 volt relay - just need to find a tap on the PCM that is hot only with the engine running.

I miss Houston!

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
Wait do you mean the engine fan on the radiator or the heat exchanger fans for the supercharger? Two different fans... the engine fan can be changed to come on sooner or later if you install a 180 degree thermostat but that is all... otherwise it’s pretty much automatic based on the engine temps. But kind of same situation as putting it on a manual switch if you want full control.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Wait do you mean the engine fan on the radiator or the heat exchanger fans for the supercharger? Two different fans... the engine fan can be changed to come on sooner or later if you install a 180 degree thermostat but that is all... otherwise it’s pretty much automatic based on the engine temps. But kind of same situation as putting it on a manual switch if you want full control.

Correct. I have a Roush 2.3 tuned by Lund and my engine fans come on when my CHT's hit 185 degrees. (Whether it's based off my CHT's when it comes on I don't know, that's just when I notice it). Sometimes the fans stay running after I shut the car down for a few minutes, sometimes they don't. Guess it depends on how hard I was gettin' on it. I have a Reische 170 thermostat by the way, no fans on my VMP heat exchanger.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I mean the engine fan on the radiator. There is no separate fan for the IC or the heat exchanger in front of the radiator, same as WhiteyDog's setup. The VMP 2.3 is almost identical to the Roush 2.3, other than the blower case. The only difference is my fans are on whenever the system is powered up, engine running or not. The fan isn't triggered by CHT, ECT or IAT.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The radiator fan can be easily controlled in the tune. I imagine whoever wrote the tune for the supercharger made the fans very aggressive which is why they are on all the time.

Ask your tuner to change that.

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
EFI, that's what I thought. It's how the fan worked on my Terminator, and on this car the fan switched on and off a few times during tune loading. Then again, these cars are new to me so there's quite a bit of stuff to learn. Thanks.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You can tune your cooling fan to come on and go off at almost any temperature. You can tune the speed it works at also examples (at 170* it’s on 30% ) or(at 170* it’s on 100%) if you want it to shut off with the car (I don’t know why you would) change the power supply to a switch 12v source.
Sponsored