Sponsored

Quality wrench set recommendation

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've never been questioned on warranty returns with Craftsman products but I havent ever had to return many either. Think I've broke two sockets in the past 20+ years.

No particular order:
Proto
SK
Cornwell USA
MAC
Snap On
MatCo
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Matco and snap on are excellent but very expensive. You pay for the convenience of them coming to you weekly and replacing broken tools. For the pro, it can't be beat.

Watch squid, not sure where you bringing them but I've known people to bring stuff in with no problem. As I stated, I only used it for a couple ratchets but I know others who've used it. Frankly, the fact that I haven't used the warranty makes it worth it to me. Not needing it is wonderful.

Yes, the pro grade craftsman are American made and good quality.

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
My wrenches are 6 and 12 pt craftsman I like my 12pt much better than the 6. My ratchets that I always use are all mac Matco SnapOn craftsman sucks I'm that area.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wrenches are 6 and 12 pt craftsman I like my 12pt much better than the 6. My ratchets that I always use are all mac Matco SnapOn craftsman sucks I'm that area.

Agree. I prefer 12 pt wrenches. I have 6 pt sockets and breaker bars if needed for seriously stubborn ones. A good 12 pt with a solid fit can still take a lot of torque though.

Depends on the craftsman ratchet. But you're right. That's the downfall. For 99.9% of the public, they work fine before wearing out (again, I've only returned 2 in 20 years). But if I used them for my profession, they wouldn't work very well for long.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ConspicuousConsumption

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Depends on the craftsman ratchet. But you're right. That's the downfall. For 99.9% of the public, they work fine before wearing out (again, I've only returned 2 in 20 years). But if I used them for my profession, they wouldn't work very well for long.
Are you a mechanic?

I ended up getting that craftsman set, plus a 10mm, 12mm, and 13mm craftsman professional in 12 point on ebay. We'll see if they come as advertised.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to ratchets, I tend to agree that Craftsman isnt the best. Not because of durability but because of teeth count. They have some premiums that are up in the 80 tooth count that make life a lot easier in tight areas but something from the big three (MAC, Matco, Snap On) is a dream to use in this regard.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Go to Harbor Freight, pay 1/10th the price. If one breaks, get another.
Harbor Freight has three grades of hand tools now. Their top of the line is every bit as good as the Craftsman and Kobalt tools I also have. They are about 40% cheaper.

I have purchased some of their impact sockets and they have held up well too.

I tend to stay away from power tools from Harbor Freight mainly because you can get parts when they do break.

I have had a set of those square wood handled screw drivers for about 20 years from Harbor Freight that I abuse the hell out of and they are still serving me well.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I use craftsman only. I have used the warranty twice in 20 years, both times on ratchets that worn out but still functioned. Never broke a socket. But I admit I'm a huge right tool fanatic. I have bout 10 grand in tools (I build cars for hobby).

Kobalt has a lifetime warranty also. Never used them though. I know people who do and who have broken sockets but I don't know if they abused them (i.e., regular socket on an impact).
Over the past 40 years I have broken more Craftsman sockets and ratchets than I would care to even try to count. The ratchets are especially week, I am not a strong guy but when I can pull on a 1/2 drive ratchet and strip the teeth it's not strong. Ratchets are where I will spend the money for Snap-On.

The only good thing about Craftsman is the lifetime guarantee and the fact that there is a Sears or Ace near by everyone.

I too am a tool junky with well over $10k in hand tools not to mention all the power tools, air tools and specialty tools I have accumulated over the past 50 years.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I just picked up a set of GearWrench 120 tooth ratchets. I used one yesterday extensively and I must say that I am impressed.

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Over the past 40 years I have broken more Craftsman sockets and ratchets than I would care to even try to count. The ratchets are especially week, I am not a strong guy but when I can pull on a 1/2 drive ratchet and strip the teeth it's not strong. Ratchets are where I will spend the money for Snap-On.

The only good thing about Craftsman is the lifetime guarantee and the fact that there is a Sears or Ace near by everyone.

I too am a tool junky with well over $10k in hand tools not to mention all the power tools, air tools and specialty tools I have accumulated over the past 50 years.

I did admit the ratchets are a bit weak. Ratchets by design aren't as strong as wrenches. But I've never broken a wrench or socket. I use a breaker bar for the tough bolts (or box end of wrench)

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I would buy a set of used SK wrenches or Armstrong wrenches. Made in USA
Sponsored