MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. I just joined the forum due to buying a '15 V6 on Friday. I've been through the exhaust video clips and other threads and didn't see much on the Pypes Street Pro Touring axle back. I did find a couple decent YouTube videos of the sound at idle. I'm not looking for super loud, just a more aggressive than stock tone with no drone.

It seems Pypes may be the only lower cost alternative to Borla that has little to no drone. Any further experience with these since the threads from 2016? I'm mainly looking for confirmation the sound isn't very raspy and minimal to no drone. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Having just bought a used V6 I see I am way late to the party. :) This forum is a terrific source of information. I would not have known about the drone issues V6 owners faced with several aftermarket exhaust systems without it. From reading the posts here it appeared Borla was the only axle back system that didn't drone, but of course it's one of the most expensive. Pypes markets the Street Pro Touring as no drone so I was curious to see if anyone here had tried it.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered it and have had it installed for 3 days. Sounds great. Volume is perfect (but I'm in my 50s--in my 20s I probably would have wanted louder). As for drone there is a hum starting at 1,800 rpm that's mildly annoying. It's not loud enough to hinder conversation and I can still listen to the radio if I turn it up a little. There is no vibration whatsoever in the interior. The hum is only obvious when the engine is under load. It almost disappears when cruising at constant speed on level ground. So I suppose I can't say for sure there's no drone, but what I do hear certainly seems tolerable.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'd call that hum at 1800 drone...

Glad you decided to try it out and give us an update, post up a video when you get to that too!

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any V6 owners looking for exhaust options left here? :) Here is a video. Keep in mind it's a cell phone microphone. Sounds a little deeper in person.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
People are always changing up their exhaust to see what else is out there. It's an easy swap and, sometimes, pretty cheap.

It's got that nice popping sound, thanks for the vid.

Yesterday after a local C&C, I drove around with some V6 guys. One had a resonator and muffler delete, the other had a custom h-pipe and flowmaster outlaws. They were both a lot louder than my setup, but sounded good...from the outside at least. Going to have to see if I can get a ride in them to hear the drone for myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
From the videos I've seen/heard, I like the sound of Flowmaster Outlaws, Magnaflow Competition, and Gibson cat back, but I shied away from them due to reports of significant drone. I suspect adding an H or X pipe to my current setup would be too loud for me.

I didn't notice the threads on the Solo Performance cat back until after I ordered the Pypes SPT. That one intrigues me with the J pipes designed to eliminate drone.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Will adding an x-pipe reduce drone at lower rpms?

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Will adding an x-pipe reduce drone at lower rpms?
I doubt it. I am no expert but from what I've seen described in other threads, replacing the stock resonator with an x-pipe does not eliminate drone. Since it does typically change the tone and make the exhaust louder, it might make the drone worse.

MustangWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Mustang V6
My current set up is BBK Longtubes..High Flow cats.. Sve X pipe.. Mbrp resonators.. and roush axle backs. I think it has sounded the best out of everything I have heard and not obnoxious drone unless you want it. I will post a video later today and see how you like it.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My current set up is BBK Longtubes..High Flow cats.. Sve X pipe.. Mbrp resonators.. and roush axle backs. I think it has sounded the best out of everything I have heard and not obnoxious drone unless you want it. I will post a video later today and see how you like it.
That would be great. Did you start with the MBRP resonators in the setup or add them later to reduce drone? Curious how much of a difference they make.

Sponsored

MustangWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Mustang V6
That would be great. Did you start with the MBRP resonators in the setup or add them later to reduce drone? Curious how much of a difference they make.
The set up originally was everything listed except the resonators, I added the resonators after due to the car sounding terrible, The difference was amazing and the sound was much better it was night and day.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Where's that video at! Did you do the high flow cats separate from the rest by any chance? Might be something I consider later on, curious of if it was a noticeable difference in sound and/or performance at all.

MustangWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Mustang V6
Where's that video at! Did you do the high flow cats separate from the rest by any chance? Might be something I consider later on, curious of if it was a noticeable difference in sound and/or performance at all.
Sorry I was trying to put one up last week and it was giving me a hard time saying the file was to large on a 10 sec video. I will try again later today. I did the Axle backs, then the X pipe,.. Then the LT headers and high flow cats were all done at the same time. After I had that set up it was loud and sounded awful and added the resonators after the x pipe. There is definitely a performance bump but at the time I used universal high flow cats and had them welded in place since no one made anything for our cars yet. I am pretty sure I was the first V6 s550 with the full set up exhaust just never posted anything on it.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it seems like most people do longtubes + cats at the same time, can't really find anything about just the cats, but I'd assume they would fit with shorties fine too.

MustangWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Mustang V6
Yeah it seems like most people do longtubes + cats at the same time, can't really find anything about just the cats, but I'd assume they would fit with shorties fine too.
I believe BBK makes a set that hooks right up to their Shorties. If I did it again I would go shorties. I had a bit of issues when I first had the Lt that I have since fixed but every couple of months I have to retighten the bolts because they come off for some reason. I eventually plan on selling my entire set up and starting new. If I had a buyer I would probably do it sooner than later.
Sponsored