Sponsored

Putting stock Axelback exhaust back on after previously cutting to fit Roush exhaust

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Hi there, I currently have a Roush axelback on my 2017 5.0 and I am looking to put back on my stock mufflers. The exhaust was cut to accommodate the Roush; what are my options to put back on my stock mufflers? Is there a way to reattach the stock using an exhaust clamp or some sort? or is the only option to weld? Other options?
Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
If it were me I would find a shop and have it welded. Buy once cry once.

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Has to be a larger pipe and two clamp option …but maybe not due to the bend?
This is why I have not changed mine too much trouble to go back to stock. Why mustang didn’t make a detachable axle back like a corvette is beyond me..did you not like the Roush?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
i was able to clamp previously cut stock axle backs.

it stayed like that for several months with no issues until I installed a cat-back system.

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i was able to clamp previously cut stock axle backs.

it stayed like that for several months with no issues until I installed a cat-back system.
Is there a particular exhaust clamp you used? Do you have a link?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has to be a larger pipe and two clamp option …but maybe not due to the bend?
This is why I have not changed mine too much trouble to go back to stock. Why mustang didn’t make a detachable axle back like a corvette is beyond me..did you not like the Roush?
I love the Roush axelback. I preferred a louder exhaust but something not too loud like a corsa catback.

I am returning the car back to stock to sell it.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
2 1/2” to 21/2” clamp. Available at most auto parts stores

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why you selling your 2017 OP?
I am looking to get a more track-oriented car. I originally bought the 5.0 with no intention of tracking it but after tracking for a while (after track mod upgrades) I saw limitations with it in terms of its overall weight and the slow cornering speed compared to other cars. The straightline speed is great, but I think is too much car for me to learn how to go fast on track. I want to accelerate my growth as a driver first by mastering a lightweight car with way less horsepower, which is the most common piece of advice from a lot of track day veterans.
My next car will strictly be a track car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
IMO do the next owner a favor and have it welded back on at an exhaust shop. It's not much more than the cost of the clamps you'd have to buy, honestly. Unless they need to extend/modify the midpipe (in which case you'd have needed them anyway).

The stock mufflers are very heavy and if they're just clamped at the midpipe they will droop pretty quick, even with the heavy duty clamps.

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO do the next owner a favor and have it welded back on at an exhaust shop. It's not much more than the cost of the clamps you'd have to buy, honestly. Unless they need to extend/modify the midpipe (in which case you'd have needed them anyway).

The stock mufflers are very heavy and if they're just clamped at the midpipe they will droop pretty quick, even with the heavy duty clamps.
At this point, I will probably just sell the car and leave the Roush exhaust on. I got some quotes for the welding stock exhaust on and it pretty much costs almost as much as a used Rosuh

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
At this point, I will probably just sell the car and leave the Roush exhaust on. I got some quotes for the welding stock exhaust on and it pretty much costs almost as much as a used Rosuh
Hmm, surprising. I actually did that once, I had the stock mufflers welded back on by a local shop and it was only $100.

With that said, it shouldn't be too hard to sell the car even with the aftermarket exhaust. Plenty of people will prefer it already being on there.

OP
OP
Mr2raw

Mr2raw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, surprising. I actually did that once, I had the stock mufflers welded back on by a local shop and it was only $100.

With that said, it shouldn't be too hard to sell the car even with the aftermarket exhaust. Plenty of people will prefer it already being on there.
I wish it was $100!
Sponsored