Pulling motor and trans and have a few questions

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'm getting ready to pull my motor and trans this weekend. I would leave the trans in place and just pull the engine but need to pull the car out of my garage so I have space to work.

Will I be able to pull both up and out of the engine bay or will I need to pull the front apart as well? I'd like to keep the ac intact so I'd rather not have to pull the condenser. I could drop the tranny out the bottom first but it's such a tight squeeze getting the mt82 back up from the bottom it would be great if I could drop it all back in together when I'm done.

Also if I reconnect the steering shaft will the wheels turn with no power to the car? Or will the steering lock? Will I fuck anything up if I have to connect the battery with the engine out to turn the wheel and is this even possible?

Sorry if either question is dumb but I've never had to move a car out of the way when swapping an engine and I'm working with limited space and have another project going on simultaneously.
Sponsored

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
I bought a set of the Harbor Freight wheel dollies. They are a little spendy, but when I had my nephews car torn apart, it made moving it around the garage a breeze. Did not have to worry about the steering.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I'm getting ready to pull my motor and trans this weekend. I would leave the trans in place and just pull the engine but need to pull the car out of my garage so I have space to work.

Will I be able to pull both up and out of the engine bay or will I need to pull the front apart as well? I'd like to keep the ac intact so I'd rather not have to pull the condenser. I could drop the tranny out the bottom first but it's such a tight squeeze getting the mt82 back up from the bottom it would be great if I could drop it all back in together when I'm done.

Also if I reconnect the steering shaft will the wheels turn with no power to the car? Or will the steering lock? Will I fuck anything up if I have to connect the battery with the engine out to turn the wheel and is this even possible?

Sorry if either question is dumb but I've never had to move a car out of the way when swapping an engine and I'm working with limited space and have another project going on simultaneously.
Do you need to remove the transmission? If not, just leave it in the car. You can remove the motor out the front. Unbolt the AC compressor but leave the lines connected and rest it on the steering rack. The condenser can also be left attached (both lines attach to one side, so you can swing it out of the way)

The lock for the steering wheel is in the column. Put some plastic food trays (like what you get at McDonalds/Wendys etc) under the front tires, this way you can rotate the tires without the steering shaft connected to the rack. Then just jack it up a little and remove the trays as needed to roll the car around. Don't let the steering wheel spin freely, or it will damage the clock spring

Remove the fan and radiator, and removing the hood will help but not totally necessary if you have someone to help you. If you are doing this by yourself, remove the hood.

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Do you need to remove the transmission? If not, just leave it in the car. You can remove the motor out the front. Unbolt the AC compressor but leave the lines connected and rest it on the steering rack. The condenser can also be left attached (both lines attach to one side, so you can swing it out of the way)

The lock for the steering wheel is in the column. Put some plastic food trays (like what you get at McDonalds/Wendys etc) under the front tires, this way you can rotate the tires without the steering shaft connected to the rack. Then just jack it up a little and remove the trays as needed to roll the car around. Don't let the steering wheel spin freely, or it will damage the clock spring

Remove the fan and radiator, and removing the hood will help but not totally necessary if you have someone to help you. If you are doing this by yourself, remove the hood.
Good tips. Thanks. Won't I have to remove the tranny to move the car? How would I support the bellhousing when I move it if it's in the car?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Good tips. Thanks. Won't I have to remove the tranny to move the car? How would I support the bellhousing when I move it if it's in the car?
Does your car have a strut brace on it? If so, you could use a small ratchet strap around the brace, and then put the hook through one of the bolt holes at the top of the bellhousing (or 2 would be better).. If not, You'd need a floorjack. Harbor freight sells one called the "badland" that has big wheels on it, but its probably cheaper to just install a strut brace and support it that way. Rolling the car with a floorjack under the transmission would be scetchy AF, unless you only need to move it a few feet, and on flat smooth concrete.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Does your car have a strut brace on it? If so, you could use a small ratchet strap around the brace, and then put the hook through one of the bolt holes at the top of the bellhousing (or 2 would be better).. If not, You'd need a floorjack. Harbor freight sells one called the "badland" that has big wheels on it, but its probably cheaper to just install a strut brace and support it that way. Rolling the car with a floorjack under the transmission would be scetchy AF, unless you only need to move it a few feet, and on flat smooth concrete.
Yeah I have a strut brace. That route would definitely be better that the floor jack! Still think I'd rather pull both. The car will be sitting for a while, and moved to an incline driveway...

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I have a strut brace. That route would definitely be better that the floor jack! Still think I'd rather pull both. The car will be sitting for a while, and moved to an incline driveway...
You might be able to pull both out together, but for sure you would have to take apart the entire front of the car. No way a standard cherry picker will be able to lift the entire thing (transmission tipping down) high enough to clear the radiator support, crash bar etc.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
You might be able to pull both out together, but for sure you would have to take apart the entire front of the car. No way a standard cherry picker will be able to lift the entire thing (transmission tipping down) high enough to clear the radiator support, crash bar etc.
A trick I used on a previous car (sn95 mustang) was to remove the front tires and had the front of the car almost on the ground. That allowed it to be low enough to pull the engine and trans out together. I even had the longtubes attached. I used one of those load level attachments to the engine hoist. Once the trans was close to the front of the car (on a pretty steep angle) I had two buddies basically lift/tip it up so it would clear and we dragged it out the front. I recall drinking many beers after that. No idea if it's possible with an s550, but I sure would like to know for when my day comes. :)

Another option would be lift the body of the car off the engine/trans/front suspension. Usually that's done on a lift, but I wonder with some creative rigging it could be possible? My buddy did it with his sn95 with an engine hoist.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ive done this, in the garage on the floor. It is best to pull motor only and leave trans in the car. You can support the trans after pulling the motor buy placing the appropriate length wooden dowel (think broom handle) or steel shaft the width of the K member UNDER the trans bell housing.

Remove hood. Unbolt AC compressor and set it to the side. This allows you to keep the AC system charged.