Pulled Parking brake, loud snap/crack

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
My parking brake has always been wonky. For the first 1000 miles it was very difficult to pull up fully. It would make a strange sound/feeling when you pulled it all the way up, felt/sounded like grinding gears in a manual. The parking brake engaged warning always comes on when driving, It doesn't like to stay in the down position. I was driving it today and noticed it had a lot of resistance when pulling it. Just got home and when I pulled it made a loud snap/crack noise with a release of pressure on the parking brake. Could be heard in the cabin and echoing from under the car.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah jack the car up and look for the problem, then post pics to. Help others to know what to look for!

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
It's a simple cable parking brake. Sounds exactly like it was poorly adjusted from the factory, set too tight, so that's why it always tripped the light. The snap is likely the cable snapping finally from it always being tight, and you pulling it tighter when you engaged it.

Towards the end of the factory resonator area is where the adjuster is as well as the splitter that splits the main cable for both back wheels.

The grinding sound however makes me have to ask if you've ever used a manual parking brake before... Unless it was the additional sound of the cable stretching aside from the standard ratchet sound.

Long story short, lift car, check for likely broken cable, take back to dealer to warranty.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check for broken cable as noted above, but also check to see if the cable has popped out of the splitter that is located on the driver side of the trains tunnel under the car. It's going to be obscured by the exhaust.

This thread gives a clear shot of the bracket and mechanism found at the trans tunnel:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54010

There have been reported instances of the cable adjustment being incorrect from the factory, where in some instances loose cables have caused rattling noises from the trans tunnel. I've not heard of many that were "too tight", but anything is possible.
Sponsored