Sponsored

Proposed Solo Class STP(ony)

Simmons-Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The problem we're going to have is the cars are so low and the hitch comes out from behind at the lowest point under the center of the rear valence. So, climbing up into or out of a parking lot with a sharp ramp up from the street could be an issue.

The Curt hitch has a minimal amount of it down low with the rest tucked up under the trunk. The other model I've seen available is a little cheaper but has much more of it exposed under the car to me.
This is the problem..........I have the Curt.

Simmons
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Does anyone know what the statement "Thickness includes the individual plates of a vented rotor, as well as the overall dimension." in Section 14.6.A means or the intent?

I can't find any drama or much discussion on various forums about that statement in regards to 2-piece brake rotors used in ST. Only that the diameter and outside width of the rotor face being the same or larger than stock.

The vented space between the faces of the rotors available for the GT PP is larger from what I can tell in looking at pics online. So the thickness of each rotor face would be slimmer even though the outside dimension could be the same as stock. Just want to be sure if a rotor like that would be ok or not.
No one ever commented on this and that statement continues to bug me and drive me crazy so I kept digging. In the meantime, I received in the Baer rotors which if you look at them you can come to a quick conclusion about them compared to stock rotors.

In more digging online I finally found a tech bulleting in the Aug 2009 Fastrack of when that statement was added to the rules that clarifies the intent (page 27):

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/010/018/2009_solo_all.pdf?1443457515

Street Touring: Per the STAC, the following is added to 14.6.E, as a new second sentence: “Thickness includes the individual
plates of a vented rotor, as well as the overall dimension.” Note: 14.6.E is intended primarily to facilitate popular track-day big
brake kits, not as a means of weight reduction. (ref. 09-193)
So, they mean diameter, outside width and the air gap between the rotor faces if using stock sized rotors.

I am really finding the ST ruleset to be a PITA for a GT PP as I get more and more into this season and prepping my car. I already pulled the subframe alignment kit out because the Delrin bushing sleeves install in the wrong side of the subframe bushing and diff bushing inserts because you have to use a longer bolt to use them. No allowance for a different bolt. Then there's a ton of aftermarket bolt-ons that aren't legal for a multitude of reasons.

Locally, I care more about PAX results than class and CAMC only needs to be about .1-.15 quicker than STP. Not a lot of time. I'm really thinking about moving there and then not having to worry about rules while simply having fun with the car.

Nationally, I'm not really concerned about a jacket. Just being able to compete for a trophy I suppose.

OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The problem we're going to have is the cars are so low and the hitch comes out from behind at the lowest point under the center of the rear valence. So, climbing up into or out of a parking lot with a sharp ramp up from the street could be an issue.

The Curt hitch has a minimal amount of it down low with the rest tucked up under the trunk. The other model I've seen available is a little cheaper but has much more of it exposed under the car to me.
I keep hoping that one day the factory engineers will get smart and realize track rats need a trailer for tires and tools and make a receiver hitch part of a Track Pack, or at least an available option.

Steid6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
No one ever commented on this and that statement continues to bug me and drive me crazy so I kept digging. In the meantime, I received in the Baer rotors which if you look at them you can come to a quick conclusion about them compared to stock rotors.

In more digging online I finally found a tech bulleting in the Aug 2009 Fastrack of when that statement was added to the rules that clarifies the intent (page 27):

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/010/018/2009_solo_all.pdf?1443457515

So, they mean diameter, outside width and the air gap between the rotor faces if using stock sized rotors.

I am really finding the ST ruleset to be a PITA for a GT PP as I get more and more into this season and prepping my car. I already pulled the subframe alignment kit out because the Delrin bushing sleeves install in the wrong side of the subframe bushing and diff bushing inserts because you have to use a longer bolt to use them. No allowance for a different bolt. Then there's a ton of aftermarket bolt-ons that aren't legal for a multitude of reasons.

Locally, I care more about PAX results than class and CAMC only needs to be about .1-.15 quicker than STP. Not a lot of time. I'm really thinking about moving there and then not having to worry about rules while simply having fun with the car.

Nationally, I'm not really concerned about a jacket. Just being able to compete for a trophy I suppose.
Different bolts are allowed, reference 13. street category. About the seventh paragraph down at the being of the street section, "Hardware may be replaced by similar items... Allowances are strictly to allow components to be replaced from alternate sources.."

The brake rotor deal sucks. So the individual plates are thinner then the factory?

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Different bolts are allowed, reference 13. street category. About the seventh paragraph down at the being of the street section, "Hardware may be replaced by similar items... Allowances are strictly to allow components to be replaced from alternate sources.."

The brake rotor deal sucks. So the individual plates are thinner then the factory?
Those kind of statements are there to allow a certain amount of common sense to be used in repairs or replacement parts that don't have a performance benefit. Especially, if it is in the Street Category section.

Yeah, the plates are thinner and you can see that from a video CJ Pony parts has on them.

The ST rules are frustrating when applied to our cars and so is the response from committee members who choose to participate online in debates about the rules and class participation (or lack of).

Sponsored

Simmons-Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am selling my STP-CAM-ESP parts......

I will make a for sale add, just figured I would mention it here 1st.

JRZ RS Pro double adjustable remote res coil overs Custom valved for proper spring rates

JRZ Camber plates

Forgestar 18x11 CF5 wheels

BMR front sway bar

(4) 315/30/18 Hoosier with 5 events on them

(2) 335/30/18 Hoosier brand new

Coyote 1 1/2" spacers

Coyote 1" spacers

Steeda CAI

JLT catch can

custom low profile front sway bar end links

BMR race springs

SCT X4 tuner with Lund tunes

Corbeau seat bracket with sliders.

(2) 315/30/18 BFG Rival S

Ford Racing Cat-back (maybe)

Curt Hitch

Tire Trailer

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My old Miata had the best trailer hitch I've seen. It was a 'hidden' hitch which was completely invisible when the tongue wasn't mounted. The hitch bracket was behind the bumper, pointed down at an angle, and the detachable tongue would curve below and around the bumper.

Sure the bend in the tongue it was probably a bit weaker than a straight hitch, but it was perfectly fine for a 4x4 tire trailer and some tools.

I wish someone would make one like that for our cars. like this:

==\..... __0
......\__/

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
I am selling my STP-CAM-ESP parts......

I will make a for sale add, just figured I would mention it here 1st.

JRZ RS Pro double adjustable remote res coil overs Custom valved for proper spring rates

JRZ Camber plates

Forgestar 18x11 CF5 wheels

BMR front sway bar

(4) 315/30/18 Hoosier with 5 events on them

(2) 335/30/18 Hoosier brand new

Coyote 1 1/2" spacers

Coyote 1" spacers

Steeda CAI

JLT catch can

custom low profile front sway bar end links

BMR race springs

SCT X4 tuner with Lund tunes

Corbeau seat bracket with sliders.

(2) 315/30/18 BFG Rival S

Ford Racing Cat-back (maybe)

Curt Hitch

Tire Trailer
If I had a Mustang, I'd be all over his parts in a NY minute. Every time he's either sold cars or sold parts, the price and quality of units is unapproachable. Please, for your sake, talk to Eric and get a deal while there is one to have. I'm sorry to see Eric move on since it was cool to see him move that car while he has it.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
let me know how you solution that - it's been on my list of to-dos for awhile now. 38lbs iirc - but at least it's down low in the back.
This weekend I did a test of how easy it will be to get it off and it is a 5 min job to remove the hitch once the back end is up enough to crawl under the car. I can drop the hitch no problem without removing the Bassani exhaust.

Again, I didn't install the 4 bolts that come out the sides of the rear frame section, just the ones that drop down.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Some stats from Packwood in STP/CAMC form:

Hitch came off in minutes and the trailer carried my tires, camping gear and other doodads no problem.

Car weighed 3566 Saturday and 3549 Sunday (hard to believe that's the difference between a 1/4 tank and 1/8th tank of gas)

Bassani x-pipe catback exhaust with factory tune and manifolds blew a max of 87 db. This exhaust weighs 38 lbs and would be legal in FS as well. It does drone in 6th under load around 60-65 mph out on the road.

I spoke briefly with a STAC member about the state of the class and rules. I think they need the SP wording of some things and allowances someone would bolt on but find themselves with a mild CAM build.

I still haven't beat FS at a major event :frusty: !!

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
More info on two-piece rotors...

I compared the Baer rotors to factory rotors with the minimum thickness of the rotor factored in.

Front
Rotor minimum thickness is: 31.6mm
Vented area width is: 15mm
31.6 - 15 is 16.6mm of rotor plate thickness required
Baer rotor plate thickness is: 15.2mm so not good for STP. Boo!

Thanks to The Tire Rack doing some research for me I just found out the StopTech two-piece rotor will have rotor plates with a total thickness of 18.1mm so that is good. Yay!

Rear
Rotor minimum thickness is: 23.5mm
Vented area width is: 10mm
23.5 - 10 is 13.5mm of rotor plate thickness required
Baer rotor plate thickness is 13.5+mm so that is just right. Yay!

So, it looks like there are two-piece rotors out there that have rotor plates at least as thick as the minimum thickness required by the factory parts. Since these aftermarket ones are also machined as wide as a new rotor (34mm and 25mm) it will appear that the vented area width is larger.

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Upcoming rule changes

So I keep hearing about possible changes to the rules for STP including long-tube headers and wider rear wheels. Anyone have the scoop on what specifically might change and when? It could make a difference in whether I keep the car and then what wheels I get, among other things.

Thanks,
-Brian Meyer

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So I keep hearing about possible changes to the rules for STP including long-tube headers and wider rear wheels. Anyone have the scoop on what specifically might change and when? It could make a difference in whether I keep the car and then what wheels I get, among other things.

Thanks,
-Brian Meyer
I've been hearing from a number of people about 11" wheels but nothing else.

I've had this idea in my head that 3rd and 4th gen cars would be the ones allowed long tubes. I was hoping to see one of those cars run at Lincoln with 315s on 11" wheels to see where they stood with us on 285s but that didn't happen. If they weren't overdogs on the wider rubber then it might help bring some more cars from places like ESP or newbies to the class.
Sponsored