Programming a Key Fob

CoyoteTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Figured I'd throw my issue out there since it sounds like some of you guys are well versed in this key fob business. As with everyone else, when I purchased my new 15' GT, it came with 2 key fobs. For all these years, I was mainly just using one of them. Recently, I started getting a message that the battery was low and should be replaced. When out and bought the 2 batteries (CR2035's I believe? I can't remember at the moment but they were the correct ones). Popped open the fob, removed the inner piece with the emergency key to get to the batteries, and removed the batteries. Replaced with the new batteries in the weird pattern that's needed (Basically [-|+] [+|-] with the little white flap in between). Closed everything up and....nothing. Could not open the door or start the car. Remote doesn't work at all. Had to tear up my place to find the spare so I could get to work.

My question is, is there any reason that replacing the battery should wipe the remote programming and require the remote to be reprogrammed? I tried putting it into the cupholder slot and it seems to let me start the car which makes me think the programming is still good. It also still recognizes that there are 2 Admin keys so that's good. I'm guessing I either broke something to where the actual transmitter isn't working, or maybe I got a bad batch of batteries.

I'll try another set of batteries but wanted to throw it out there in case anyone had suggestions. Thx
Sorry kinda late but I just got an S550 a couple days ago and I am currently having the same issue. Any fix? I already tried to reprogram and it didn’t work.
Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'll appreciate any expert advice:

I traded my 2018 GT Premium for a 2019 EcoBoost™ Premium. The GT had four active fobs, all working perfectly. The EB came with the two new ones, and after a few tries, it programmed the extra two from the GT. They open doors and start the engine of the EB, but will not do a remote start.

Is there any chance of getting the remote start to do something besides toot that wimpy little horn? I'm religiously Staying At Home, and do't want to go to the dealer with this non-essential mission.

Thank you for your attention.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I am down to one key fob. Can a locksmith program another key fob without messing up my Whipple tune?
I'm down to one fob too -- FRPP tune -- I don't quite understand why you need two fobs to program a third -- why is that -- but what's my best way back to having a second fob?

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'll appreciate any expert advice:

I traded my 2018 GT Premium for a 2019 EcoBoost™ Premium. The GT had four active fobs, all working perfectly. The EB came with the two new ones, and after a few tries, it programmed the extra two from the GT. They open doors and start the engine of the EB, but will not do a remote start.

Is there any chance of getting the remote start to do something besides toot that wimpy little horn? I'm religiously Staying At Home, and do't want to go to the dealer with this non-essential mission.

Thank you for your attention.

Now all four do everything I can ask of them. I did nothing but wait a few days and push the buttons again.

Next: must (and can) the mechanical portion of the keys be re-ground, or have they lost their usefulness completely?

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
Update. I was in to the dealer today and they were able to program the key. Works perfect now. Not sure why the key was showing up in the car but not programming for me. At least I had the right keyfob. Plan to get another one later this year and I will try it again and see what happens

Also, would the digital dash possibly cause this?
Thanks

Last edited:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Removing the batteries has no effect on the memory from what I have seen with these key fobs.

However, I decided to give the programming another try today when I saw this thread and it finally worked after a number of tries.

Not sure why it worked this time but followed the steps exactly as outlined above with the following changes:

1) Remove any key rings from the fobs
2) For the existing old style 2017 keys, they were inserted with the key hook facing down and buttons facing the back of the car
3) For the new 2018 key to be programmed, it was inserted key hook facing up and buttons facing the back of the car
4) When programming the 2018 key, I pressed it down very firm in the slot (not sure if that made a difference)

Was amazed when it finally worked.

So confirmed a few things:

1) The 2018 5-button remote (M3N-A2C931426) works with the 2017 5 button remote (M3N-A2C31243300). Even though they have a different FCC-ID they both have the same frequency
2) Seems like the direction the key is facing (key hook up/down) makes a difference. Try different combinations but the buttons should always be facing back
3) A used key can be reprogrammed to another car. No need for an unprogrammed key
4) Make sure you hold the start/stop down on the last step not just click it like mentioned above
5) If you are getting "Key not detected" or "Key program failure", you are on the right track. Just need to try different combinations with the key orientation and perhaps hold the key that needs to be programmed firmly in the slot.
Couldn’t get it to work until I followed these intructions. Idk if it’s orientation or removal of the key ring.
Sponsored