Sponsored

Problems with my Power Pack 2

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
Hello all, just found you guys and joined... I think you'll be able to help me out.

I have a 2017 GT 5.0 and just put the Power Pack 2 on it. All went well (dealer installed) but I quickly found that it has a stumble in HARD acceleration just at the moment of letting the clutch out going into 2nd, 3rd, and a little in 4th. It's most prominent in lower gears.

I have a "feeling" it's running rich at that moment and maybe the engine isn't getting enough air (I can clearly hear the intake and I wonder if it just can't intake enough air)... but I'm guessing.

The dealer has reloaded the flash twice. What are you thoughts? anyone experienced this?

During the ProCal instal, perhaps when it does the engine profile learning (forgot the correct terminology) where you blip the throttle above 4k, maybe we should have the hood closed then?

I'm stumped, and I really hate this about my car right now. Thanks in advance for the help. Ford Performance has thus far not been a lot of help...
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing happened to me when I had pp1. It's the no lift shift feature. Make sure your foot is completely off clutch when shifting above 5k rpm's.
This is actually one of the reasons I got rid of the ford performance tune as this feature cannot be turned off

OP
OP

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
Same thing happened to me when I had pp1. It's the no lift shift feature. Make sure your foot is completely off clutch when shifting above 5k rpm's.
This is actually one of the reasons I got rid of the ford performance tune as this feature cannot be turned off

Could you describe in detail how I am SUPPOSED to shift in this circumstance? Sounds crazy but I will try it to see if it fixes the problem and if I can live with it...

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
You must make sure to lift your foot off the clutch before getting into the gas at high rpm shifting. Or you leave you leave the accelerator floored during your clutch and shift but make sure you're above 5k rpm or you will red line it. It's very difficult to have your brain and feet do a no lift shift in my opinion

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Agreed I think its the no lift shift feature kicking in.

If you are shifting that quickly and keep the throttle open that much already to make it engage, might as well try shifting with keep the throttle pegged and just work the clutch. You gotta be quick but I had the PP3 with the same feature and it shifted like butter keeping the throttle pegged.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
Hmm..

Even though I feel I am very good at clutch operation, I cannot conceive of releasing the clutch fully before starting to apply throttle again. Really?! Awkward!!!

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Try to the no lift option, I think you will like it.

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
do you have a stock clutch spring or have your removed / replaced it with something like a Steeda spring?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Hmm..

Even though I feel I am very good at clutch operation, I cannot conceive of releasing the clutch fully before starting to apply throttle again. Really?! Awkward!!!
That's how you drive a manual.
Unless 1st gear you don't need to slip the clutch when changing gear.

OP
OP

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
Stock clutch spring. Does not feel like the clutch is hopping. Guess it could be but it feels like the engine is bogging...

Sponsored

flasch192

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT 93 cobra
my 17 does it too, its omost like your rideing the clutch but your not ..

OP
OP

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
So... Is it the no lift feature or a clutch spring? Or??

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
I had this issue with PP1. A stumble was occurring because I was resting my foot on the clutch pedal just enough to trip the no lift shift sensor. Had to learn to take my foot completely off the clutch pedal when shifting. After powershifting so many different cars over the years without a no lift shift feature it was a bbit of learning to do it a different way. I do feel a difference between the PP1 and PP2. Smoother throttle action makes shifts smoother, exhaust tone sounds deeper and 5th and 6th gear acceleration is stronger with PP2. I don't mind the no lift shift. That and the rev limiter protect the engine. I know because I've missed a few shifts in my life and suffered the consequences. I'm waiting for FP to offer an option of just the GT350 manifold and a tune for PP2 users.

OP
OP

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
Do you feel like using the no lift shift makes it overly harsh on the transmission and other parts? I had not planned to really use this feature.

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
Do you feel like using the no lift shift makes it overly harsh on the transmission and other parts? I had not planned to really use this feature.
I've only used it a few times to see how it worked. It didn't seem to slam into the next gear. High rpm shifting at WOT is probably hard on the clutch in any case. The no lift shift prevents hitting the rev limiter and that protects the engine. I will probably never take my car to the strip and am not into street racing. The occasional blast down a long entrance ramp is all I'm usually good for.
Sponsored