willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
So I'm toying the idea to buy a Gt. and honestly to keep it comfortably affordable so that I have the ability to mod the hell out of it, I would need to order a base model...

Is the base model sound system just straight up junk or is it decent?
Sponsored

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
It's crap. But many would say that about the premium as well...it needs a sub at minimum. In a sense, the base stereo might be easier to mod with fewer speakers to worry about. The premium trim brings a lot more though, like the possibility of nav, power, heated and cooled seats, MyColor, plus a lot more.

OP
OP
willmkent

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
It's crap. But many would say that about the premium as well...it needs a sub at minimum. In a sense, the base stereo might be easier to mod with fewer speakers to worry about. The premium trim brings a lot more though, like the possibility of nav, power, heated and cooled seats, MyColor, plus a lot more.
Well I have a premium Eco, right now and I can totally live without the premium options. I guess I could add a sub myself and better speakers, but like does it get loud and clear enough to listen on the highway with the windows down?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
didnt buy premium for the audio but i wanted it for all the other things. Its ok, but I am in the midst of upgrading mine.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
It's all about the BASE

So I'm toying the idea to buy a Gt. and honestly to keep it comfortably affordable so that I have the ability to mod the hell out of it, I would need to order a base model...

Is the base model sound system just straight up junk or is it decent?
Don't worry about the Base system as it's not as bad as some have bitched about. I have that base system in my vert and can hear it fine including deep bass at all speeds up to 75mph with the top down. But if you usually listen to
Metallica "wide open", then you will need a custom setup. But the best music ever produced in a Mustang is the melodious exhaust rumblings.:headbang:

Sponsored

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
HAD to have the 401 stereo.

Base = high school garage band

401A = Woodstock (and you're high as balls)

basically, no comparison.

Iceman2733

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Base system is lacking quite a bit in all regions of sound from high-low. I also think it lacks volume also. Than again the few premium models i have been I wasn't at all impressed with either. I think it really does depend on the type of music you will listen to and what you are expecting out of the system.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I bought a premium for the screen and other options, not the sound coming from the stereo... which is crappy.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
A young man should never worry about how much he spends on wine, women, and song. Or as Johann Strauss put it, "Who loves not wine,women and song remain a fool his whole life long." If music is paramount in your life and you carry a tune in your head every waking moment, then by all means get a custom system for your Mustang. The "premium Ford" system is not so lacking as it is EXPENSIVE for the sound it delivers versus the base unit. You can get better sound for less money with an aftermarket system I believe.

Buhbuhj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
Shaker audio is not worth upgrading for. I got premium for nicer trim and nicer center console but the audio is pretty garbage no matter what you get and will need some upgrading regardless.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
yea before buying the car I ruled out 401A Shaker Pro reading the reviews here. The upgraded system Im doing is going to cost less than that package

jax7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic 300a
Agree mostly with everything said here. I have a GT base and the audio needs help. There are things you learn though. The base head unit sounds ok with a synced Ipod .... and actually jams out if you adjust the treble bass and so on to your liking....actually not bad if source is synced and the audio file is good quality. On the other hand if you use the line out (looks like a stereo headphones connection) the sound quality will be awful in my opinion. Line outs will never be better than the USB connection or the IPOD sync cable but the line out in the 2015 mustang is horrible and the head unit does not process this well at all (have had aftermarket units jam out with the line out....not on the base mustang). I found music CDs to be "not bad" but not the best ive heard and the radio to be ok. The IPOD synced was by far the best and am i am actually going to say it sounded good (songs with bass actually sounded good also).... this coming from a guy who almost cried upon first thoughts on the base audio system. The kicker speaker upgrades listed in these posts should also be a good improvement for a low investment. Keep in mind the stock speakers are one way speakers and the 6.5 kickers mentioned are two way speakers so really you are adding additional speakers to the base system by just replacing the doors and rears and should definitely improve the sound quality. Now if we can figure out a way to add a sub to the truck we will be ok i think....maybe a bazooka tube.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Sounds fine in the car depending on source. CD > HD Radio > MP3 > AM radio > Satalite.

I have never wished it was any louder, because i am 43, and only idiots blair loud ass music at stoplights with the windows down. (as an adult)

But on the road, windows down, no problems. Yes there is room for improvement, but it is not the suck. To do any better, I would have to spend about $4k. So I am fine with it as it is.
Sponsored