Can a Dyno tell a lie?

That_1_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hello my fellow mustang owners! Got a little topic of conversation for you guys tonight, so I recently got my mustang dyno’d in Minneapolis MN (I live close) and it was just a baseline run to see what she would make. My car is Lund tuned and has Texas speed 1 7/8’s “allegedly” catless headers, MBRP Race Catback system (H pipe) and a JLT cold air intake. She put down 460 WHP on and 430 Ft Pounds of torque. This was on the Lund flex tune with the ethanol content that set at 68% on the drive there. I have 19 inch wheels on my car with 305’s in the rear so they are a bit heavy and I knew as was gonna loose a smidge of WHP and WTQ but oh well. I thought this number seemed too low even for 68% Ethanol. So I drove home as most do, defeated. Well about a week later I had just been running my car on 92 octane still on the flex tune just because it’s convenient and my Nguage was reading 84.7% Ethanol when I hand tested my pump at 69% so the idle was very weird at times so I swapped back to premium out of caution. Well I was with a couple buddies cruising and my friend was with me he’s a bigger guy (just a hair under 220) and myself I’m 180-185 and I’m on 92 octane and this charger hellcat pulled up next to me and wanted to race and I said “we are going to get gapped” but proceeded with the race because that’s who I am. The hellcat had 2 somewhat skinny people in it (driver and passenger) so they weighed a little less than me each I imagine. Well it’s honk....honk...honk and we’re off, I’ve got a 10R80 car with 3:15 gears and me and my buddy Christian we take this hellcat fender to fender from 50-140 with 0 weight reduction done other than the light asf back seats out. I was in disbelief, I was totally in awe because they didn’t pull and neither did we, just sat there side by side from 50-140 mph. My buddy has a FBO, aftermarket TB, Exhaust & E85 tune with 47 LB injectors Gen 1 and didn’t even crack 390 WHP on this dyno! It’s a dyno jet but Is it possible that the dyno known as the dream maker could be telling lies? (And yes for the one mopar creeper on this page he was using the red key). Hellcat was a non widebody also and had to be stock but it was a base model with the A8.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
A dyno is nothing but numbers, shouldn't let them get to you.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds right to me. I made exactly 466/430 with 1 7/8" 2M Longtubes, MBRP Pro Race catback, and the e85 Lund tune. Deafened everybody in the whole damn place.

Hellcats weigh an awful lot, something like 4500, and with the fat f'ers in it, closer to 5k. Start stripping weight to really put the acceleration of the 10 speed to good use.

Edit - The dyno is called the heart breaker, not the dream maker. Everybody goes to dyno day thinking about how many hp they are, and always get knocked down a peg or six. No matter what you think you're going to make, the answer is less, always less.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
A dyno just sets a benchmark and aren't always legit numbers. By design, you dyno before and then after mods to see what the mods changed. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
A dyno just sets a benchmark and aren't always legit numbers. By design, you dyno before and then after mods to see what the mods changed. At least that's how it was explained to me.
this...times eleventy.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Also to keep in mind, you can Dyno the same car at other shops on multiple other XYZ-Dyno types or manufacturing brands and still get totally different results.

There are so many variables that come into play during a Dyno session, it’s just not foolproof as far as “exacting” figures tied out to XYZ mods (or no mods).

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Just because you made some mods that you think will net big power, doesn't mean they actually will.

OP
OP
That_1_S550

That_1_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sounds right to me. I made exactly 466/430 with 1 7/8" 2M Longtubes, MBRP Pro Race catback, and the e85 Lund tune. Deafened everybody in the whole damn place.

Hellcats weigh an awful lot, something like 4500, and with the fat f'ers in it, closer to 5k. Start stripping weight to really put the acceleration of the 10 speed to good use.

Edit - The dyno is called the heart breaker, not the dream maker. Everybody goes to dyno day thinking about how many hp they are, and always get knocked down a peg or six. No matter what you think you're going to make, the answer is less, always less.
I the dream maker thing I was referring to was the type of dyno, usually a mustang dyno is very stingy and a dyno jet usually reads higher. I know hellcats weigh and awful lot and what matters is how it performs. I was just kind of shocked at the results of the race! I haven’t had a revision or anything yet so there might be more power to be had but I wish I would’ve got it dyno’d before I started throwing parts on it 🤣

OP
OP
That_1_S550

That_1_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just because you made some mods that you think will net big power, doesn't mean they actually will.
How the car performs is what matters, what it can do is what matters. It’s not going to be a dyno Queen but I mean everyone always thinks they’ll make more than they actually end up making haha

Sponsored
OP
OP
That_1_S550

That_1_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I know I should’ve had it dyno’d stock, but oh well. It was worth knowing what it actually means it down! Still impressed me with its performance in that race, as long as she runs healthy and runs hard then who really cares what the numbers are 😁

OP
OP
That_1_S550

That_1_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Also to keep in mind, you can Dyno the same car at other shops on multiple other XYZ-Dyno types or manufacturing brands and still get totally different results.

There are so many variables that come into play during a Dyno session, it’s just not foolproof as far as “exacting” figures tied out to XYZ mods (or no mods).
Very true, 1/4 times will tell the whole story vs a computer lol

OP
OP
That_1_S550

That_1_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Also headers and the Pro Race is insane 🤣 car sounds like it’s wide open throttle at 2K rpm. I feel sorry for our neighbors!!

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I know I should’ve had it dyno’d stock, but oh well. It was worth knowing what it actually means it down! Still impressed me with its performance in that race, as long as she runs healthy and runs hard then who really cares what the numbers are 😁
Exactly! Years ago I raced a C6 corvette with my stock '11 GT500. I shouldn't have won but both stick cars and anything could have happened. At the next red light he didn't have his window down anymore so I couldn't ask.
Sponsored