Sponsored

Tow Strap + R Hooks

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Okay, let me start by saying I don't want to have a "track" style tow hook on the front of my car -- certainly not the Ford Performance one that requires cutting the bumper grill. Additionally, I don't care for the "boy racer" look of the ZL1 Add on PLUS I am not a "do-it-yourselfer" (I know better!) so installing the ZL1 hook is something that would get pretty pricey once I paid for the hook and the installation by a competent shop. (for those who would suggest just unscrewing it) Which brings me to using the Ford owners manual method utilizing R (or J) hooks and bridle straps. Simple, affordable and fast if I need a tow off the track -- maybe not as fast as a tow hook protruding the from the grill, but still fairly straight forward. It could be wrapped tight and stored in what would be the spare tire compartment for use whether I need a tow from a public road or on track. Also would allow for a centered pull which would be great for winching onto the trailer if I wanted to go that route.

Thoughts? Downsides (ie track tow pressure on bumper vs flatbed)? Experiences???
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Okay, let me start by saying I don't want to have a "track" style tow hook on the front of my car -- certainly not the Ford Performance one that requires cutting the bumper grill. Additionally, I don't care for the "boy racer" look of the ZL1 Add on PLUS I am not a "do-it-yourselfer" (I know better!) so installing the ZL1 hook is something that would get pretty pricey once I paid for the hook and the installation by a competent shop. (for those who would suggest just unscrewing it) Which brings me to using the Ford owners manual method utilizing R (or J) hooks and bridle straps. Simple, affordable and fast if I need a tow off the track -- maybe not as fast as a tow hook protruding the from the grill, but still fairly straight forward. It could be wrapped tight and stored in what would be the spare tire compartment for use whether I need a tow from a public road or on track. Also would allow for a centered pull which would be great for winching onto the trailer if I wanted to go that route.

Thoughts? Downsides (ie track tow pressure on bumper vs flatbed)? Experiences???
Downside is that many (most?) clubs and tracks require a visible tow hook be attached in order to get on the track.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Downside is that many (most?) clubs and tracks require a visible tow hook be attached in order to get on the track.
Agreed, 2 of my local tracks require it be inserted before going on track.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

“Boy racer”.... ouch!!!

Have you considered having the ZL1 hook receiver installed, and only install the tow hook as needed? Since it sits behind the plastic grating the receiver isn’t visible. My mini’s have all had a threaded receivers behind a small access panel on the bumpers for that purpose. The bmws I’ve owned were the same. Seems like a clean way to do it.

Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
“Boy racer”.... ouch!!!

Have you considered having the ZL1 hook receiver installed, and only install the tow hook as needed? Since it sits behind the plastic grating the receiver isn’t visible. My mini’s have all had a threaded receivers behind a small access panel on the bumpers for that purpose. The bmws I’ve owned were the same. Seems like a clean way to do it.
Agreed.

OP, do you realize the ZL1 hook can be unscrewed in a matter of seconds, leaving the bracket installed?

If the answer is yes, and it exceeds your comfort level of "do it yourself", then I'm glad you're not in my run group.

While the hooks can help avoid additional damage from the tow vehicle when being pulled from the sand pits, it's also a courtesy to other drivers. How would you feel if another driver cost everyone 30min of their track time because they couldn't get it towed to the paddock in a timely manner?

No personal experience with your proposed solution, but given that the tow truck will be puling at an upward angle, I think bumper damage is likely. The J hooks are designed for securing the car to the flatbed, not for towing.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Not gonna work when you're belly-pan deep in pea gravel. The track tow operators are not there to protect your car; they are there to clear the track. They will hook up to the first thing they can and pull you straight out. If that means your bumper gets torn off, or your control arms get bent, that's sort of your problem. The ZL1 tow hook isn't ideal because it's off-center, but it should be strong enough to pull the car free without incremental damage if it can roll at all, and that's what you want. It's the option with the least invasive installation (i.e., no modification or cutting of stock parts), which is why it's popular despite being imperfect. And, if it does cause damage, it's to the relatively cheap lower grill mesh insert only.

I can't think of any track tow operator who's going to wait around while you try to hook up J-hooks and run a strap out the front of the car, and typically the track does not want you outside the car on a hot track at all in the first place.

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Not gonna work when you're belly-pan deep in pea gravel. The track tow operators are not there to protect your car; they are there to clear the track. They will hook up to the first thing they can and pull you straight out. If that means your bumper gets torn off, or your control arms get bent, that's sort of your problem. The ZL1 tow hook isn't ideal because it's off-center, but it should be strong enough to pull the car free without incremental damage if it can roll at all, and that's what you want. It's the option with the least invasive installation (i.e., no modification or cutting of stock parts), which is why it's popular despite being imperfect. And, if it does cause damage, it's to the relatively cheap lower grill mesh insert only.

I can't think of any track tow operator who's going to wait around while you try to hook up J-hooks and run a strap out the front of the car, and typically the track does not want you outside the car on a hot track at all in the first place.
Some good points -- the pea gravel aspect is the main one. My experience with track tow operators, however, has been the exact opposite the past 30 years with HPDE -- nothing but patience and concern for the car when it needed a tow. While I've only needed a tow a handful of times - they have always been great. But, like i said earlier -- can't argue with you point about the car if it's burried in gravel and unharmed in any other way.

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
it's also a courtesy to other drivers. How would you feel if another driver cost everyone 30min of their track time because they couldn't get it towed to the paddock in a timely manner?
This is the best reason to install the ZL1 or FP hook, no question. Thanks.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Some good points -- the pea gravel aspect is the main one. My experience with track tow operators, however, has been the exact opposite the past 30 years with HPDE -- nothing but patience and concern for the car when it needed a tow. While I've only needed a tow a handful of times - they have always been great. But, like i said earlier -- can't argue with you point about the car if it's burried in gravel and unharmed in any other way.
Glad that's been your experience ... I've mostly seen them want to get the track cleared ASAP and minimize the time anyone is outside a vehicle. Fortunately I've not had many experiences with it, so my n is small ...

Sponsored
OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Glad that's been your experience ... I've mostly seen them want to get the track cleared ASAP and minimize the time anyone is outside a vehicle. Fortunately I've not had many experiences with it, so my n is small ...
It was a little different racing. That's a "get it outta here" senario. But like mentioned above -- the best reason for a real tow hook is to save time for the others driving. So it pretty much trumps trying for a workaround.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Going to go sideways now. Logic just got deployed.:idea:

“Boy racer”.... ouch!!!

Sponsored