PREMATURELY WEARING RECAROS?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Another reason I'm glad I went with the cloth. Seen too many of these.
Sponsored

HN401A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Don't park it outside all that much, so no need for a sunshade. When I clean it, I just use Meguiars leather wipes. Is there another product you recommend?
Yes, I've had really good results with Chemical Guys leather cleaner and leather conditioner. Just use a microfiber towel to apply. Keeps 'em nice, shiny and moist. Doesn't leave any residue on your clothes or anything and makes the car smell nice. They have frequent sales on their site too. Give it a shot.

OP
OP
jake_zx2

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I've had really good results with Chemical Guys leather cleaner and leather conditioner. Just use a microfiber towel to apply. Keeps 'em nice, shiny and moist. Doesn't leave any residue on your clothes or anything and makes the car smell nice. They have frequent sales on their site too. Give it a shot.
Not a fan of shiny finish on leather... that's part of why I use Meguiars, because it's made to leave more of a matte finish. Shiny leather looks too much like vinyl to me

HN401A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Well, I should restate. It's not like a plastic look if that's what you mean. Definitely keeps the leather moist which is super important for preservation, whichever brand you decide to use. Whipes typically have alcohol in them which will dry anything out, even plastic...

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
LOOOL!!!!

It's not leather. None of it. No matter what you've been told.

Almost no cars use actual leather, it's almost all synthetic, it's pleather. And that's why I got cloth seats in my 2016, after my 2012 "Premium Leather" driver's seat wore out in 24 months. It started going bad in a matter of just a few months, really.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jake_zx2

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
LOOOL!!!!

It's not leather. None of it. No matter what you've been told.

Almost no cars use actual leather, it's almost all synthetic, it's pleather. And that's why I got cloth seats in my 2016, after my 2012 "Premium Leather" seats wore out in 24 months.
Well yeah, but that doesn't mean it should show signs of wear after less than a year! Lol

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
That is why i got cloth seats on my 2015 GT. My 2012 had pleather and that is exactly what happened to them.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
When mine wore, I could see the fabric mesh base of the "leather", and also see how plasticky it was.

Sponsored

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Magne-Ride Recaro show stopper red
I love my Recaros but I’ve had enough experience with high-end leathers to know that automotive leather is far from anything in the leather universe.

For me, Saddleback Leather sets the bar that all other leather products are compared. Let them school you on the difference between full grain, top grain, and the bottom feeder commonly known as genuine.

Last edited:

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
OP, this is a terrible wear.
But perhaps it might be avoided with better care. That leads me to following question.

I believe that natural leather needs different cleaning and conditioning as artificial leather (pleather).
How can we differentiate one from another to know, which part of the seat is "artificial" and which "natural"?

Is there any scheme of the seats available with marked areas of different materials?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OP, this is a terrible wear.
But perhaps it might be avoided with better care. That leads me to following question.

I believe that natural leather needs different cleaning and conditioning as artificial leather (pleather).
How can we differentiate one from another to know, which part of the seat is "artificial" and which "natural"?

Is there any scheme of the seats available with marked areas of different materials?
It's all fake. None of it is actual leather. It's all "synthetic leather". It wears, and there's nothing you can do about it except not sit on them, or covering them up.

I'm looking at my next vehicle, which will have pleather seats. Seat covers will be my first "mod" to the car. There's no other way to keep them in good condition.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've noticed my last few convertible had better wear, and I think that's simply because of how you enter a car without a roof ... side perk :D
Sponsored