Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
I'm planning on adding, in order,
1) Intercooler
2) High flow catted downpipe
3) Intake.

Someday, if I get the nerve to risk my warranty, I might get a tune.

I anticipate that these mods, even without a tune, will be beneficial.
The intercooler will stabilize the charge temps, which should mean that after sitting in traffic and finally getting an opportunity to step on it, I should still get full power.
The other two together should do a nice job reducing spool time, which will bring on power faster.
The question is; what kind of gains would these parts provide without a tune? I know the results won't compare to a tune, but will it be enough to be worth the cost without a tune or would it be a waste of money?
Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
1) Intercooler
3) Intake.

The intercooler will stabilize the charge temps, which should mean that after sitting in traffic and finally getting an opportunity to step on it, I should still get full power.
The other two together should do a nice job reducing spool time, which will bring on power faster.
The question is; what kind of gains would these parts provide without a tune? I know the results won't compare to a tune, but will it be enough to be worth the cost without a tune or would it be a waste of money?
There's only one catted down pipe I know of that says it can be used with the stock PCM, almost all of them require a PCM tune. I would avoid the down pipe unless your getting a tune as the gains with a stock car will be minimal and could cause issues. I can guarantee they will use that as a "warranty voidance" mod, but IC is much harder for them to argue with, especially if it's a Stage 1 type that fits in the factory location, making it hard to even detect as it's fairly well hidden and invisible to the PCM.

I'd instead go with an IC, a DV+ (again stealthy and difficult to visually detect / invisible to ECU) or Boomba ECU controlled BOV (not stealth), plugs and the big mouth / panel filter mod (with a GT grille), harder for them to argue warranty voidance with the stock airbox. Then you'll have a ram air intake which could also be used with a closed box cai in the future if you wanted to change over (better than just a CAI), but according to Adam's testing the stock air box with a drop in filter and big mouth outflow many of the after market CAI's...

OP
OP

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
There's only one catted down pipe I know of that says it can be used with the stock PCM, almost all of them require a PCM tune. I would avoid the down pipe unless your getting a tune as the gains with a stock car will be minimal and could cause issues. I can guarantee they will use that as a "warranty voidance" mod, but IC is much harder for them to argue with, especially if it's a Stage 1 type that fits in the factory location, making it hard to even detect as it's fairly well hidden and invisible to the PCM.

I'd instead go with an IC, a DV+ (again stealthy and difficult to visually detect / invisible to ECU) or Boomba ECU controlled BOV (not stealth), plugs and the big mouth / panel filter mod (with a GT grille), harder for them to argue warranty voidance with the stock airbox. Then you'll have a ram air intake which could also be used with a closed box cai in the future if you wanted to change over (better than just a CAI), but according to Adam's testing the stock air box with a drop in filter and big mouth outflow many of the after market CAI's...
I found a DV that I really like the looks of, but it appears to only be available in OZ and Europe. Is there one available in the states that stands out above the rest?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found a DV that I really like the looks of, but it appears to only be available in OZ and Europe. Is there one available in the states that stands out above the rest?
Boomba is going to release their Diverter Valve kit. It's the same ECU control solenoid and same overall valve design, just instead of the valve venting to atmosphere, it vents back into the intake just like stock. But you get all the benefits of the better valve operation and maintain OEM function, just without the BOV hissing.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64259

Then there's the DV+ conversion, which converts the stock valve to a pilot valve which controls the plunger. It's the same concept as the Boomba, but it's integrated into a small assembly at goes in between your stock diverter valve and it's mounting location, i'ts very compact where the boomba solution has an external control solenoid which makes it obvious your running a modified valve, but in my opinion the Boomba valves do look nice and I don't mind the look of added complexity. Any of these solutions will work fine, but as much flack as I may take for this I suggest staying away from Turbosmart if you want factory like function as it bypasses the ECU.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
1) Intercooler
3) Intake.

I have a similar combo with no tune:

CPE Intercooler
Catless downpipe
Green drop in filter

The gains are minimal, but car does runs faster than stock. I feel the intercooler did nothing for a power increase, but the downpipe definitely added increased top end. I travel a lot and from time to time I get a mustang ecoboost rental car, and comparing a stock car to mine - mine is definitely faster. Now with a tune, the gains would be on a whole different level, but I am going to do exhaust, catch can then tune. I too am worried about the warranty stuff. Ford definitely has some issues, and I don't want them to try and blame a tune for a blown motor.

Nick

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's only one catted down pipe I know of that says it can be used with the stock PCM, almost all of them require a PCM tune. I would avoid the down pipe unless your getting a tune as the gains with a stock car will be minimal and could cause issues. I can guarantee they will use that as a "warranty voidance" mod, but IC is much harder for them to argue with, especially if it's a Stage 1 type that fits in the factory location, making it hard to even detect as it's fairly well hidden and invisible to the PCM
That's why you put you stock parts back on when you bring it for warranty work. Downpipe takes 30 minutes to swap. Ford will void the warranty on the turbo if you have an exhaust BTW.. Screw them and save yourself the pain, and just put the stock parts back on before you bring it in.

Nick

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I have a similar combo with no tune:

CPE Intercooler
Catless downpipe
Green drop in filter

The gains are minimal, but car does runs faster than stock. I feel the intercooler did nothing for a power increase, but the downpipe definitely added increased top end. I travel a lot and from time to time I get a mustang ecoboost rental car, and comparing a stock car to mine - mine is definitely faster. Now with a tune, the gains would be on a whole different level, but I am going to do exhaust, catch can then tune. I too am worried about the warranty stuff. Ford definitely has some issues, and I don't want them to try and blame a tune for a blown motor.

Nick
I'd be willing to bet that the main difference you feel between your car and the rental car is 93 vs 87 octane. Nobody puts 93 in a rental car...

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be willing to bet that the main difference you feel between your car and the rental car is 93 vs 87 octane. Nobody puts 93 in a rental car...
LOL I do. I had a 16' premium ecoboost for a week and put 2000 miles on it. By the time I got to SC from TN it already had its second tank of 93 in it.

That's how I ended up buying one of these... I rented them so many times at National, that I got used to it and liked it, and ended up buying one.

OP
OP

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
That's why you put you stock parts back on when you bring it for warranty work. Downpipe takes 30 minutes to swap. Ford will void the warranty on the turbo if you have an exhaust BTW.. Screw them and save yourself the pain, and just put the stock parts back on before you bring it in.

Nick
Problem is that Ford can tell if you've tuned the car.

Sponsored

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem is that Ford can tell if you've tuned the car.
I know, and for this very reason is why I did not do a tune first. I am at 5k miles now, I figure if the car lasts to 10k miles then it will most likely last and it's time to tune.

Nick

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
From my experience there is nothing to gain at all with bolt on parts. The ECU is constantly monitoring and limiting the boost at all times with the stock parts so with freer flowing intake and exhaust, the ECU just will limit it more, There COULD possible be a very small gain in the amount of time before the ECU starts to limit boost. I have tried an intercooler, catted downpipe, cat back Magnaflow and MAP CAI. Now that I have converted it all back to stock it feels certainly smoother and also faster. The best 0-60 I got on the modified EB was 5.8. I now get consistent 5.5. Not a lot better and maybe I am better at doing the 0-60 but it does show no improvement.
The ECU is already limiting the power significantly on all the stock parts which is evident since just an ECU tune make incredible gains.
Also I did keep the intercooler on because heat will be a significant killer of HP.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
1) Intercooler
3) Intake.

I had a warranty refusal because I put aftermarket speakers in the rear.

Seriously... don't touch the car if want to keep the warranty.

Of course, that depends on dealer...
Sponsored