Sponsored

Power train stability with Stage Two Roush?

Bobne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Have a ‘19 GT with the ten speed auto. If I were to put a 725hp Roush supercharger on the car, how rugged are the stock components; eg torque converter, transmission, drive shaft, IRS? Can they handle that hp without breaking. What about wheel hop?
Sponsored

Stangmang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Have a ‘19 GT with the ten speed auto. If I were to put a 725hp Roush supercharger on the car, how rugged are the stock components; eg torque converter, transmission, drive shaft, IRS? Can they handle that hp without breaking. What about wheel hop?
Unfortunately, no one can ever say you'll be completely okay when adding FI. Plenty of cars with that amount of horsepower will do just fine and never have an issue. For the most part, the stock internals have shown to be okay up till around the 850whp mark, and plenty of car have gone even higher than that with no issues. But that doesn't mean you can't break something with even much less. My buddy's car is a 2018 with a Roush phase 2 supercharger. He just blew his motor. He threw a rod out of his engine and when they were pulling things apart, they also found his converter had crapped out and that his cats were gone too. He was only around 650whp at the time, so nothing crazy. And less than 10k on his setup. So you just never know. All and all though, you are more than likely fine with a proper install, not pushing boost to high on 93 and not hitting the rev limiter. These engines and the components around them are really tough, but there's always a chance something can go wrong. As for wheel hop, it's kinda a thing on these cars, especially if you just slam the pedal down on that kind of power. There's a few good options out there though to help eliminate this. Look into the steeda stop the hop kit. And biggest issue you'll probably see with the Roush will be cooling as they like to heat soak quit a bit. That doesn't mean it's not a good kit though.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I wonder if the cats were the cause in the motor damage. Did he log the car ever?
Roush covering the motor?

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Unfortunately, no one can ever say you'll be completely okay when adding FI. Plenty of cars with that amount of horsepower will do just fine and never have an issue. For the most part, the stock internals have shown to be okay up till around the 850whp mark, and plenty of car have gone even higher than that with no issues. But that doesn't mean you can't break something with even much less. My buddy's car is a 2018 with a Roush phase 2 supercharger. He just blew his motor. He threw a rod out of his engine and when they were pulling things apart, they also found his converter had crapped out and that his cats were gone too. He was only around 650whp at the time, so nothing crazy. And less than 10k on his setup. So you just never know. All and all though, you are more than likely fine with a proper install, not pushing boost to high on 93 and not hitting the rev limiter. These engines and the components around them are really tough, but there's always a chance something can go wrong. As for wheel hop, it's kinda a thing on these cars, especially if you just slam the pedal down on that kind of power. There's a few good options out there though to help eliminate this. Look into the steeda stop the hop kit. And biggest issue you'll probably see with the Roush will be cooling as they like to heat soak quit a bit. That doesn't mean it's not a good kit though.
Wow, that's the first time I heard of a Roush supercharged engine going kaboom.

Hopefully your friend is still under warranty. That's terrible to have happen.
So, I "assume" Roush/Ford are replacing the engine?

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

A 2018 mustang is out of its 3 year Roush warranty.

Stangmang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang

Out of warenty unfortunately. He ended up getting a Aluminator long block. Had done several tune revisions through PBD. I thought maybe the cats were part of it and maybe they clogged causing some detenation. Turn out a fuel line let go, caused it to then detonate and he threw a rod. Then the car caught on fire, smh. 20k later, the cars fixed.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
You won't have issues with any of it honestly. The only two parts that may eventually have problems depending on what you do with the vehicle, would be the axles and the driveshaft. But you won't have problems with them if you just drive it on the street. If you take it to the track, wheel hop will definitely be more of an issue and we offer some BMR goodies to fix that with a very mild package.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/l...n-package-level-1-2015-2022-s550-mustang.html

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
A 2018 mustang is out of its 3 year Roush warranty.
I wasn't aware he got it installed in 2018.
That's too bad.

Out of warenty unfortunately. He ended up getting a Aluminator long block. Had done several tune revisions through PBD. I thought maybe the cats were part of it and maybe they clogged causing some detenation. Turn out a fuel line let go, caused it to then detonate and he threw a rod. Then the car caught on fire, smh. 20k later, the cars fixed.
Wow, that's rough.
Glad to hear it's all fixed up.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I wasn't aware he got it installed in 2018.
That's too bad.
It doesn't matter when it gets installed. The only thing that matters is when your factory warranty ends/begins. Roush replaces the factory warranty. If you have no factory warranty or little time remaining your Roush warranty will be the same.

Of course there is still warranty on the parts themselves.

Sponsored

Str1ker329

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seabert
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium-Roush SC Stage 2
Had the local Roush dealer install on my '22 GT Premium. They claim a lot of the things you mentioned were issues pre '18. '18 model year had beefed up half shafts and such. Not a breakage but loose over time.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
alot of it will depend on how you using the car, just daily driving and getting on it, or launching at the dragstrip.

the strip will stress driveline components more,

if your just driving, the oem stuff will hold up fairly well, but launching from a stop can take a toll on axles and driveshaft, first things i recommend if your launching from stops,

feel free to hit me with any questions you have
Sponsored