Sponsored

Power pack 2 or PBD tune?

MustangNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 cobra
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice on tunes. I want to keep the car very stock and was thinking a tune would wake things up a bit perhaps PBD or Lund.

Other than the TB and gt350 cai is there any advantage to going with the power pack 2 from ford?

I actually like the idea of the stock closed air box and maybe a better high flow filter like air raid k&n.
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
If e85 is available in your area then an e85 tune from PBD without a doubt. Best bang for your buck.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Power Pack 2 on a prior car and enjoyed it. I had the dealer install it and they put in writing it would not void my new car warranty. I do have to say the downside is the open air box. It's right underneath the hood vent and while the filter did not get direct water during car wash or rain rain did sit at the bottom of the box and the filter began to form mold. If I did it again (excluding e85) and the warranty is not an issue I'd probably go closed airaid and Lund tune.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
You're going to get much better performance with a custom PBD tune over the canned PP2 tune. Ken and his crew do a fantastic job and you've got plenty of options with them for adding other mods such as different headers, fuel types, ect. Ken and his crew do a fantastic job and you've got plenty of options with them for adding other mods such as different headers, fuel types, ect. I'd steer clear of the GT350 throttle body. It's really not worth it and has been known to have tuning issues.
We've also got power packages from PBD that include your choice of intake and device with custom tune.

Give us a shout if you have any questions as we're PBD's largest dealer and always here to help. 561-753-8105

https://www.lethalperformance.com/palm-beach-dyno-custom-tune-naturally-aspirated-and-nitrous.html

pbd_logo.jpg

OP
OP

MustangNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 cobra
I had the Power Pack 2 on a prior car and enjoyed it. I had the dealer install it and they put in writing it would not void my new car warranty. I do have to say the downside is the open air box. It's right underneath the hood vent and while the filter did not get direct water during car wash or rain rain did sit at the bottom of the box and the filter began to form mold. If I did it again (excluding e85) and the warranty is not an issue I'd probably go closed airaid and Lund tune.
Yea I don’t have E85 and the car is out of warranty now so if it breaks it’s on me lol

The open air box on the gt350 CAI is not very appealing to me would prefer a stock look.

In terms of performance what would be reasonable to expect from a PBD or Lund tune with all else remaining stock?

Sponsored

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yea I don’t have E85 and the car is out of warranty now so if it breaks it’s on me lol
could go with a stock 2018 intake/airbox

It's right underneath the hood vent and while the filter did not get direct water during car wash or rain rain did sit at the bottom of the box and the filter began to form mold. If I did it again (excluding e85) and the warranty is not an issue I'd probably go closed airaid and Lund tune.
Weird...I believe there's a small hole on the bottom of the box for water to drain. I don't think I've seen more than few drops of water hit the box even in strong rain.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
PP 2 is a great option and really wakes the car up, with the benefit that you stay under warranty (Ford Performance subrogates any existing warranty existing on your car/drive train). If you are not worried about warranty you will get better performance out of a custom tune. I ran a Livernois tune on my '12 SHO and loved it. Lots of good tuners out there that do great work. I went with PP2 to keep my warranty, and I really did not have a need for THAT much more HP (I know crazy talk) as I only hit a road course once in a blue moon (closest to me is a 3hr drive).

OP
OP

MustangNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 cobra
could go with a stock 2018 intake/airbox

Weird...I believe there's a small hole on the bottom of the box for water to drain. I don't think I've seen more than few drops of water hit the box even in strong rain.
Ya I heard the 2018 intake setup changed a bit. Seems to be lots of debate over drop in filters too with regards to contaminants being let into the engine