Sponsored

Positive Terminal Damaged

Bonillan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I bought my 2015 GT in June 2018 and had a 5k service done a couple months ago. Over the holiday break the car didn't start and I checked on the battery. The battery was the OEM Ford one, I assume the one that came with it new. It had blue corrosion all over the positive terminal. I took it out and it obviously tested bad. I got a new battery and tried to clean up the positive terminal the best I could, but I think it has damaged the cable itself.

Fast forward to now and it intermittently won't start because it has a bad connection. I can jiggle it around and tighten it more and it works for a day.

I've made a service appointment for tomorrow, the car is still under CPO warranty. Has anyone else had this happen? I searched and saw a couple much older posts about it happening to them. I'm worried the dealer will try to deny warranty coverage.
Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
neither the CPO nor the 5k service checked the battery ? Owner's manual says to check the battery every 6 months. I don't like the plastic lid covering the battery for this exact reason but it seems to have some dual purpose in keeping debris out of the engine bay at the front windshield so I haven't removed mine.

OP
OP

Bonillan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Welp, dealer says it's not covered. Wanted $260 + labor to fix. So I bought a certified preowned car and barely 6 months and 6,000 miles after purchase their OEM Ford battery failed and damaged a component and I am SOL.

edit. Is there a Ford rep on the forum?

Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
My understanding of the CPO warranty is that it is drive train only, so I'm not surprised. How much does a new cable cost?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This is Ford CPO ? If the battery damaged the terminal, it's been corroding for a while now. Somewhere in that 172 point inspection should be the battery.

https://www.ford.com/certified-used/

172-Point Inspection – Areas Inspected
Every car, truck, SUV or crossover must pass a 172-point inspection before it can qualify as a Ford Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle.

Comprehensive Limited Warranty Coverage
In addition to the 172-point inspection, every Ford Certified Pre-Owned vehicle comes with a comprehensive limited warranty covering more than 1,000 components for 12 months/12,000 miles. Along with this comprehensive limited warranty, 7-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty coverage is included with every Ford Certified Pre-owned vehicle.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Yes, looks like timing is everything, "comprehensive limited warranty covering more than 1,000 components for 12 months/12,000 miles".
Not where the OP sits with this part...

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none