Sponsored

Can wheels studs be permanently damaged from over torquing the lug nuts?

tallboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt performance pack
Got my car back from ford after some warranty work (that they didn't do properly) and they overtorqued the piss out of every lug on my car. A second ford dealership loosened the rear lugs for men and I re-torqued to the factory 150ft-lbs. The fronts will not budge with an impact wrench or tire iron. I plan on going by ford again tomorrow to get the fronts loosened so I can tighten down to spec. This got me wondering about permanent damage to the lugs though. Can over torquing cause permanent damage?
Sponsored

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Yeah you can snap the stud from over torquing.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You can stretch the lugs making them very easy to break.

Kclyatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Don't forget the lug nuts will probably be damaged too

Rick@LASTREETCARS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lastreetcars.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP - Procharged and Built
I would ask to see the lugs and studs while at the dealership when they remove them and take pictures. They have likely binded them, not coated them at all, etc...and that will make the studs and lugs weaker too.

Most of the time, dealers don't actually torque them because of the extra time and they just go all out with the air gun...

Sponsored

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
I would ask to see the lugs and studs while at the dealership when they remove them and take pictures. They have likely binded them, not coated them at all, etc...and that will make the studs and lugs weaker too.

Most of the time, dealers don't actually torque them because of the extra time and they just go all out with the air gun...
They should be using torque sticks though which will be fine. When I worked at an alignment shop years ago all we used were torque sticks including the lug nuts on semi trucks. We just used a 1" impact to tighten them with the sticks.

Rick@LASTREETCARS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lastreetcars.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP - Procharged and Built
They should be using torque sticks though which will be fine. When I worked at an alignment shop years ago all we used were torque sticks including the lug nuts on semi trucks. We just used a 1" impact to tighten them with the sticks.
No issue on what they SHOULD be using...I've been in the business for 30+ years..and always torque properly. Not everyone does, and sometimes policies are not followed...especially noted at some dealerships.
Sponsored