Sponsored

Poor Sirius reception?

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
funny thing is the F150 (2016) I am driving right now never cuts out. if it was a TMobile/ford antenna issue I would think it would as well.
I was told that two vehicles have been given replacement redesigned antennas. The F150 and the Escape.

Perhaps your F150 has an updated part?
Sponsored

lakeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 echoboost premieium
I was told that two vehicles have been given replacement redesigned antennas. The F150 and the Escape.

Perhaps your F150 has an updated part?
I just received the same info from my dealer I was also told Lincoln I hope Mustang is soon also It would be nice if the dealer reactivates our free six months since mine never worked during the free period

jvzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I just recently purchased a 2016 Mustang GT Premium and i'm having the same Sirius satellite signal drop outs being reported. Spoke to my dealer and they were unaware of this issue/complaint. They basically said I can bring my car in and have one of their "Audio" experts look at the issue. After doing some google searching of the issue, I wound up seeing folks reporting the very same issue so I am here to chime in and hopefully hear of a fix will be happening soon for this. I listen to Sirius and I had no issues with my Sirius cutting out on my recently traded in 2013 Mustang GT Premium. Other than the obvious parking garage or tunnel.

I saw in other posts online that this issue spans to 2016 Escapes and F150's. Some folks even said their dealers installed a new antenna part on the above vehicles which resolved the issue. Can anyone confirm this and or is a fix for our Mustangs close?

Thanks everyone!

Jason

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
mustangs have a low flush sirius antenna that doesnt work well in garages, underground parking and downtown areas

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
mustangs have a low flush sirius antenna that doesnt work well in garages, underground parking and downtown areas
This is factually wrong.

There are quite a few pages of reading you might want to catch up on.

The antenna design for all Sync 3 vehicles is flawed due to the design of combining the GPS and Sirius antenna.

There's a fix for 2 vehicles (last I checked) and it consists of a completely new part.

The Mustang AFAIK never received an updated part or part number.

Sponsored

jvzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks mbaran. I guess we Mustang owners will have to continue to wait for a fix. Hopefully when there is any update for this fix from Ford, someone will post here and keep us all informed. I was about to call Ford Customer Service, but from reading throughout these posts, they aware, but unaware of this problem and will probably just tell me to go back to my dealer for service.

tagorgia

Krazydog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I just recently purchased a 2016 Mustang GT Premium and i'm having the same Sirius satellite signal drop outs being reported. Spoke to my dealer and they were unaware of this issue/complaint. They basically said I can bring my car in and have one of their "Audio" experts look at the issue. After doing some google searching of the issue, I wound up seeing folks reporting the very same issue so I am here to chime in and hopefully hear of a fix will be happening soon for this. I listen to Sirius and I had no issues with my Sirius cutting out on my recently traded in 2013 Mustang GT Premium. Other than the obvious parking garage or tunnel.

I saw in other posts online that this issue spans to 2016 Escapes and F150's. Some folks even said their dealers installed a new antenna part on the above vehicles which resolved the issue. Can anyone confirm this and or is a fix for our Mustangs close?

Thanks everyone!

Jason
My wife had her 2106 in 3 times and they did absolutely nothing. Each time they told me that Ford engineering was aware of the problem and was working on it. I asked them to replace the antenna, and they said that Ford would not approve any fixes until they determined root cause. From my internet searches, this issue has been going on for a very long time. My wife was very frustrated, because she loves satellite radio. Bad news was that my wife totaled her 2016 when someone ran a red light (she was fine), and ordered a 2017, and low and behold, no issues on the 2017 radio. I don't know what changed in the radios or antennas from 2016 to 2017, but they must have did something. As far as a fix for the your 2016, I wouldn't expect much. If it was a safety issue, Ford Engineers would be all over it. This is probably on the bottom of their priority list, if on the list at all.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Can we look up the P/N for the 2016 vs 2017 antenna? See if they are different AND cross compatible (not holding my breath on that one)
the 15 and 16 had the same part but I cant find the 17 online yet. I bet its the same and its something with the radio or the firmware

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
the 15 and 16 had the same part but I cant find the 17 online yet. I bet its the same and its something with the radio or the firmware
I don't have the time or the desire to go back through this long thread, but I'm pretty sure the problem was already diagnosed as a terrible antenna design, and OEMradio said that you can fix the problem yourself by purchasing your own (non-Ford) Sirius antenna, placing it under the dash and plugging it into your stereo (in place of the Ford Sirius antenna).

jvzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure I really want to be messing with that kind of a fix (HappySquirrel). Thanks for the info though. I have an extended 6 year warranty on my 2016 and don't want to be messing with the Sync 3 head unit in anyway that may disrupt a future warranty issue with it.

I would think Ford will have a solution at some point for this considering they resolved the issue with a new part for the 2016 Escape and F150. Many posts about it via a google search.

Side question and not sure if ok to ask here since off-topic, but is it possible to add the OEM Ford BLIS (Blind Spot Detection) and Cross Traffic Alert features you can get with the 2016 Mustang as a paid option, as an add-on after the fact somehow? I have not found any articles saying it's possible to add to a 2016 GT Premium if it didn't already come with that. Anyone know for certain?

Jason

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I really want to be messing with that kind of a fix (HappySquirrel). Thanks for the info though. I have an extended 6 year warranty on my 2016 and don't want to be messing with the Sync 3 head unit in anyway that may disrupt a future warranty issue with it.

I would think Ford will have a solution at some point for this considering they resolved the issue with a new part for the 2016 Escape and F150. Many posts about it via a google search.
I wasn't suggesting anyone in particular go that route (although it sounds like a good option for anyone who isn't scared to pull off their console cover), just trying to clarify from the previous post that it does appear to be an antenna issue, not a radio or firmware issue.

I would agree that Ford should have a fix for this eventually given that they appear to have rolled it out for the F-series and Escape, but who knows. The lack of communication from Ford corporate is frustrating. And don't get me started on the fact that this is an issue in the first place. As an engineer who has worked for an automotive supplier it boggles my mind that such a massive design flaw made it all the way through design, prototyping, testing and manufacture without being caught. The Big 3 make all of their suppliers go through massive amounts of failure mode brainstorming (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) in order to catch potential problems before they arise. Even if the supplier didn't catch the issue, Ford should have unless they are not following the same procedures they expect from their suppliers.

jvzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I am wondering if anyone that has a 2016 Mustang GT Premium does NOT have this Sirius cutout issue. i would think if it was happening to every owner of the vehicle, something by Ford and or Sirius would be doing something to address it. Is it really a T-Mobile tower issue? It's so annoying my Sirius cuts out randomly while driving and I was hoping to find Ford would step up and get this resolved for us Mustang owners, not just the Escape and F-Series. That is total BS!

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Sad thing is I bet Ford knows the problem I just traded my 16 for a 17 when they bought it back it is a premium performance pack car and the satellite radio works flawlessly everywhere that the 16 kept dropping out
Sponsored