Pony Ordering Help

BuffWil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Vehicle(s)
none
Greetings everyone! I am a new member and while I haven’t owned a Mustang yet I have been a huge fan since “riding” in one at the World’s Fair in 1964. (I was 7 and my cousin, Mike, was 11 so he got to sit behind the wheel…I am still pissed about that!) Great car then and great car now. I am planning to order my dream car in March 2019. My situation is a little unusual and I am hoping that somebody out there may have had a similar experience and can give me some pointers.

First, the planned car: 2019 GT Premium convertible, Shadow Black, 400A, manual transmission, Black Accent Package, Tan seats, B & O Sound System and possibly the Active Exhaust (but not completely convinced on this last option). Pretty minimalist but I just want a great, sleek somewhat “traditional” Mustang that goes fast as hell with the top down. I would love to have the Show Stopper Red interior but I think that requires the 401A package and I am not in love with all the elements in the 401A. Making a bit of a concession on the interior to keep from having to have the digital dash, and saving a few $$$$ too. Anyone have any thoughts concerning this combination? Anything inherently knuckleheaded that I am not seeing?

Ok, here is the unusual part. My “home” is in La Quinta/Indian Wells California. Essentially Palm Springs. It gets hot in the summer but the weather is basically perfect all year. If I have the car for 25 years it will never see snow and probably almost never feel rain. Although the car will “live” in my garage in California I actually live in Asia. Been over here for 24 years and will probably be here for another 3-4 years before I move home for good. I am a hotel manager currently based in Bali. My thinking is to order my dream car, have it sitting in the garage waiting for me when I come home on vacations (so I don’t have to keep renting Mustangs at LAX). Then when I move back full time it will be paid off and still only have about 4,000 miles on it. Hope to keep it as close to mint as possible for as long as possible. At least until it becomes my daily driver ~2022. I currently get home 2-3 times a year (and probably not again until August 2019). Typically for a week or two so I won’t be able to drive around and visit all the dealerships while I try to hammer out the best deal. Not enough time when I am home. My strategy is to basically send an email to all the dealership General Managers, give them my specs, and whoever comes back with the best pricing gets the deal (following a little more specific negotiations when I narrow the field). I know this isn’t ideal but it is the best I can do. Especially as I plan to special order. Pretty much ALL needs to be done online. I can cast a wide net in my search including Riverside Country, San Diego, and LA. Because I won’t be sitting at home watching the calendar (clock) I won’t be bedeviled by the VIN/EDD frustrations that most special order owners deal with. If it takes 6-8 months so be it.

Any thoughts on this strategy? In terms of getting the lowest price should I be using the x-plan, Costco, etc.? Or just attack all the dealerships? The MSRP for the car, without the Active Exhaust, is $47,740 any thoughts on how much I should push for discounting on a March order? Would love to get the price down below 45,000.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have and I seriously hope to be able to tick the “ordered GT Premium convertible” box in early March.
Sponsored

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
Sounds like you are a busy and successful person. Here is my 2 cents:
1. Active Exhaust is a must have.
2. If you are not on a time crunch, also get Magneride. Many people who don’t order it simply leave it off because of the extra time it seems to take on a factory order. But if you don’t want Magneride or don’t want to spend the money, look for in stock cars.
3. In my experience, Dealers don’t like to negotiate over email or phone, to get the best deal you have to show you are serious by going into the delalership and being prepared to walk out if you don’t get your price. If you don’t have time for all the games and want a good fair price, join Costco and use their service.
4. Use the webchat on the ford performance site to have them search nationally for the car with the specs you want. Their is a good chance you might find the exact configuration you want on the lot at a dealership. Dealers are suppose to do this for you, but in my experience they do a poor job. Best deal with be to purchase a 2019 off the dealer lot in November / December of 2019. Will also get the best financing and incentives. Can use Costco as well as the discounts and incentives can be slacked.

OP
OP
BuffWil

BuffWil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Vehicle(s)
none
Sounds like you are a busy and successful person. Here is my 2 cents:
1. Active Exhaust is a must have.
2. If you are not on a time crunch, also get Magneride. Many people who don’t order it simply leave it off because of the extra time it seems to take on a factory order. But if you don’t want Magneride or don’t want to spend the money, look for in stock cars.
3. In my experience, Dealers don’t like to negotiate over email or phone, to get the best deal you have to show you are serious by going into the delalership and being prepared to walk out if you don’t get your price. If you don’t have time for all the games and want a good fair price, join Costco and use their service.
4. Use the webchat on the ford performance site to have them search nationally for the car with the specs you want. Their is a good chance you might find the exact configuration you want on the lot at a dealership. Dealers are suppose to do this for you, but in my experience they do a poor job. Best deal with be to purchase a 2019 off the dealer lot in November / December of 2019. Will also get the best financing and incentives. Can use Costco as well as the discounts and incentives can be slacked.
Hi Holmes,
Thanks so much. You got it half right. Busy for certain!
You points are all well taken. Pushing me in the direction my heart wants to go anyway (Active Exhaust + Magnaride). Time to dig into the Ford performance site. Thanks again for taking the time with the great ideas. Cheers

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
If you don’t have time for all the games and want a good fair price, join Costco and use their service.
Until Costco comes back with "There are no participating dealers within 100 miles of your location."
Sponsored