2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Sure looks like water damage, do they both look alike? Or is one worse?
Do you have a lawn sprinkler system that over sprays one side of your parked car.
both the same, no the car is in a city
Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
This is not "just" a water damage. Plus, if you look at the pic @Charlemagne posted, it seems that the calipers had some kind of surface preparation (they are not just a raw metal), while at the OP pics this seems to be totally gone.

Could it be that Ford mounted non prepped calipers on the car and they made it out of factory and the oversea transport did the rest?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO this is wheel cleaner damage.

I have seen it before (on multiple brands), the acid in the cleaner 'really' dislikes the plating on the calliper and it reacts (given time) with that type of corrosion / residue, exactly as per the OP's picture.

Yes, Ford paint these callipers on top of the plating, but on the black versions (and based on my car) it is aesthetic only i.e. wont stop the acid cleaner getting to the plating underneath and then corroding it away taking the dusting of paint with it.

Again, IMHO that calliper has been exposed to multiple cycles of cleaning with an acidic cleaner, possibly with it not being rinsed off properly after use.

Ford may have started this issue with the initial prep, but unless they have been washing the car regularly for the OP, they didn't cause that much damage just doing the delivery prep.

To be brutally honest and if I was the OP, I would be looking at A) my choice of wheel cleaners or in the case that the OP has someone else looking after the vehicle detailing B) having a little chat with them.

It's common in the UK for the corner car wash places (and some mobile 'detailers') to use these harsh chemicals (I see it all the time) - remember that they are working to a price and are looking for quick, easy results with minimal manual input i.e. not thinking long term.

I was in Kia with my daily and I refurbished the callipers on that last year - at ten years old (pre refurb) they were in far better condition than some cars I looked at that were in for their first service ... :facepalm:

My partners brother has just picked up a 1.5 year old Nissan from the main dealers, his callipers look exactly like the OP's. I didn't have the heart to mention it to him when he came around to show me the car - he's not a car person and he thinks the cars great, so why spoil it for him.

Unfortunately, it's a very common sight on a typical UK car park :frown:

WD :like:

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
This is not "just" a water damage. Plus, if you look at the pic @Charlemagne posted, it seems that the calipers had some kind of surface preparation (they are not just a raw metal), while at the OP pics this seems to be totally gone.

Could it be that Ford mounted non prepped calipers on the car and they made it out of factory and the oversea transport did the rest?
It wouldn't surprise me. Car is 4 months old with <2k miles.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here is some more info an aggressive 'acidic' wheel cleaners.

This is MSDS for one of the popular UK wheel cleaners - I wont name the company (they are local to me and I don't want a visit ... lol), I've cherry picked the good bits :

1639650328265.png

1639650362436.png

1639650494933.png

As a side note, these type of wheel cleaners are just expensive brick cleaners i.e. much cheaper to buy under a different name and in bulk, but from the hardware store.

The callipers are zinc plated (under the thin coating of black), google 'how to strip zinc plating' and see what acid name comes up ... :frown:

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@2021 Mach 1 / Saul - Did you mange to address the reason behind your accelerated calliper corrosion issue ? :like:

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
@2021 Mach 1 / Saul - Did you mange to address the reason behind your accelerated calliper corrosion issue ? :like:

No, I have not. I also wonder, other than looking ugly, does it actually impact the performance of my brakes?

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO this is wheel cleaner damage.

I have seen it before (on multiple brands), the acid in the cleaner 'really' dislikes the plating on the calliper and it reacts (given time) with that type of corrosion / residue, exactly as per the OP's picture.

Yes, Ford paint these callipers on top of the plating, but on the black versions (and based on my car) it is aesthetic only i.e. wont stop the acid cleaner getting to the plating underneath and then corroding it away taking the dusting of paint with it.

Again, IMHO that calliper has been exposed to multiple cycles of cleaning with an acidic cleaner, possibly with it not being rinsed off properly after use.

Ford may have started this issue with the initial prep, but unless they have been washing the car regularly for the OP, they didn't cause that much damage just doing the delivery prep.

To be brutally honest and if I was the OP, I would be looking at A) my choice of wheel cleaners or in the case that the OP has someone else looking after the vehicle detailing B) having a little chat with them.

It's common in the UK for the corner car wash places (and some mobile 'detailers') to use these harsh chemicals (I see it all the time) - remember that they are working to a price and are looking for quick, easy results with minimal manual input i.e. not thinking long term.

I was in Kia with my daily and I refurbished the callipers on that last year - at ten years old (pre refurb) they were in far better condition than some cars I looked at that were in for their first service ... :facepalm:

My partners brother has just picked up a 1.5 year old Nissan from the main dealers, his callipers look exactly like the OP's. I didn't have the heart to mention it to him when he came around to show me the car - he's not a car person and he thinks the cars great, so why spoil it for him.

Unfortunately, it's a very common sight on a typical UK car park :frown:

I had the car detailed once by a guy that only uses PH neutral soap on the wheels. That said, it's possible it was like that before and I didn't notice when I purchased the car from the previous owner.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
No, I have not. I also wonder, other than looking ugly, does it actually impact the performance of my brakes?
IMO, yes. I'd worry about things like binding, seal issues, heat dissipation issues if you run hard. I'd also worry about what the hell else is effected.

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, yes. I'd worry about things like binding, seal issues, heat dissipation issues if you run hard. I'd also worry about what the hell else is effected.
True, all good points. Remember:
1642749677901.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, I don't think you can pin this particular issue of Ford ... :frown:

Mate, can't I have a little bit of fun? I have a lemon of a car and I'm struggling to sell it, I'm going to suffer thousands of pounds of financial loss.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I have a lemon of a car and I'm struggling to sell it, I'm going to suffer thousands of pounds of financial loss.
Did you find some other damage as well? I would have thought that if @WD Pro was right the worst case would be replacing the calipers - probably not that expensive?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Mate, can't I have a little bit of fun? I have a lemon of a car and I'm struggling to sell it, I'm going to suffer thousands of pounds of financial loss.
How is your car a lemon ? What else is going on other than calipers not looking pretty ?
Sponsored