Sponsored

Please for the love of God If you make a tutorial on the Mustang make it complete.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
First please forgive me it is 3 AM I cant sleep and my wife is snoring LOL and this was on my mind.

2nd this might be a long post so if you are a to long didn't read person might want to bail out now :)

OK so I am healy into electronics (ill get to Mustangs in a sec just some background info) and let's say tweaking them to make then do things they weren't meant to. So tutorials... but they are always incomplete. Seems most people use the south park underwear gnomes method of making tutorials. Step one get the underwear... Step 2 ??... Step three profit. It is infuriating. what should be simple instructions always has steps skipped, parts missing, half way explained steps or is simply out right wrong.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the effort and the time the people took. But if you are gonna do something to help people why not do it correctly?

Today's world is pretty much buy something they throw it in a box and there is absolutely zero instructions on what to do or how to use it. So you go to the internet and it's a minefield of misinformed, garbage, useless, outdated time wasting tutorials. The manufacturer themselves seem to have no clue how their own products work.

So on to Mustangs. ( ill make this up) but Buy X product, Get X product with zero instructions. go on net. Yeah simple x product simply plugs into the blue wire. OK spend three hours taking apart said area of car and there is no blue wire??? then spend hours looking at tutorials that say yeah man blue wire. I don't have a blue wire and I doubt my car was the only one with no blue wire. after days of looking and forums and phone calls one person will finally say oh hey I know you have to stand on your left foot and remove the hood and then under that flap is the blue wire. Damn why didn't the instructions or any of the 15 tutorial videos tell you this? There is always info missing and typically its the hardest info or the part that's the biggest pain.

So real world example. Spacers.. I know I know... but hear me out. So get spacers and get confusing instructions with spacers. so go to install videos. One popular one says well the correct torque is 150 but don't do that instead do 120... ok why? The another top vendor has a tutorial that says torque to factory spec of 100lbs... ok so we all know thats is not correct because it is 150. A third just says torque the nuts... um ok to what? You call the vendor they don't seem to know. some spacers tell you to do 90 on hub but 150 on wheels... that seems wrong. Another video that says they know the safest and correct way to install spacers has the guy telling you to put the wheel lugs on the spacer and the spacers nuts on the wheel...idiot. you come to the forums and it becomes 17 pages of guys comparing their manhood and bragging about how they invented space travel so they know yet 17 pages later no ones actually answer the question.

Anyway you get the point. Can people please if you are gonna take the time to make a tutorial at least make it complete with all the steps and the complete info needed to actually finish the job.

Like changing your front springs everyone gets to the two big ass bolts holding the wheel to the strut and they edit it and just simply say ok take these bolts out and then skip to them out job finished and again they say and torque everything to spec. Ugh which is? all you sent me was a box with springs in it. What are the specs? Why not tell me since you know instead of making me spend 3 hours on the net trying to find non conflicting info on exactly what those specs are? With the two big bolts they don't ever mention ok to take these two bolts out you need to go work out first get a 2 lb hammer and take 75 running swings at them to get them out while working in teams of two and taking small breaks.

They also need to accurately update their videos not just simply say this part fits 2015 through 2020 models... cause I can tell you they don't. I ordered both tail lights and the back trunk plate and neither fit my 2019 gt without modding them. Ford has made changes and the videos need to be update with current info most are 2 or more years old. Yet they update the product info to say yeah it fits that too.

Anyway please vendors and tutorial makers please make sure you give all info and full steps in your tutorials. As an example don't simply say ok now torque everything and show a clip of you torquing everything but then not tell anyone what the torques are.

Again I appreciate all you do but if your goal is to help us then please make sure you include all the info.

Any way thanks for reading my late night ramblings.
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Love it! This pretty much ends up being me with everything.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
When my wife snores I just go sleep on the couch in the den.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'll support this theme. The common word in commerce today is "CARELESS", in more than one sense of the word. viz: My ford book says 150 for lug nuts. My lugnuts manufacturer says 85 to 90. 150 minus 90 = 70, divided by 2 = 35 + 90 = 125. is that a safe compromise?

Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I'll support this theme. The common word in commerce today is "CARELESS", in more than one sense of the word. viz: My ford book says 150 for lug nuts. My lugnuts manufacturer says 85 to 90. 150 minus 90 = 70, divided by 2 = 35 + 90 = 125. is that a safe compromise?
150 minus 90 = 60, divided by 2 = 30 + 90 = 120. Which is what I used on the monster lugs I put on a couple of weeks ago. Or 150 + 90 = 240 divide by 2 = 120. So either way, I hope it's a good compromise.

Robracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost with performance package
Briebee 72, AMEN brother, I agree 100%(Please make sure you include all INFORMATION) nothing worse than starting a project and getting near the end and find out there's some crucial info missing. Just spent 6 hours on a project that should have taking 45 minutes because after reading all the info on the internet and all the YouTube's there was one small part left out of the puzzle and this has happen more than 1 time.

Last edited:

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
In effort to help, here are the detailed instructions that will guide those suppliers to a successful implementation of your request.
1) Identify affected part numbers
2) Review the current instructions
3) Congratulate the team

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'll add one. When someone posts they are going to buy a part say off Ebay or some place and don't report back how it worked. I'm going through this trying to find dashboard clips after removing my center channel speaker. A couple folks mentioned buying Ebay options but never said that they worked for them.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
With the two big bolts they don't ever mention ok to take these two bolts out you need to go work out first get a 2 lb hammer and take 75 running swings at them to get them out while working in teams of two and taking small breaks.
For me this was:
-watch the video where a couple taps with a normal hammer pops the bolts out easy peasy
-pound on the bolts with a regular hammer for 10 min, then realize they just aren’t moving
-drive to Walmart (because it’s 10 pm, because I’m 8 hours into the 2-3 hour job) to buy a 4lb hammer
-pound on the bolts with the newhammer for 10 min, then realize they still aren’t moving
-drive to Walmart again to buy an 8lb hammer with a long handle
-pound on the bolts with the new hammer for 10 min, then realize they are finally moving, but just barely
-spend the next hour pounding them till they’re finally all out...

in short, I agree! And to add, don’t make things look easier than they actually are. I’m up to the challenge, I just want to be prepared for it. It’s soooo much worse when you’re blindsided by it because the videos sugar coat it.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'll support this theme.
Agreed. Though it's only one of the reasons I don't rely on video tutorials for much.

The common word in commerce today is "CARELESS", in more than one sense of the word. viz: My ford book says 150 for lug nuts. My lugnuts manufacturer says 85 to 90. 150 minus 90 = 70, divided by 2 = 35 + 90 = 125. is that a safe compromise?
Makes me uneasy. Ford obviously has to be rating both the studs and the lug nuts for 150 ft*lbs. What could possibly be implied by an aftermarket lug nut mfr specifying only 85 - 90 knowing that the studs would still be good for 150?

I imagine that Ford's number is based on a deeper/more rigorous approach to bolted joint design than clamp load as a function of thread pitch and friction, probably involving both bolt and joint stiffnesses.

Norm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The capabilities of the S550 call for a higher torque number. The S197 called for 100 ft-lbs of torque where as the newer generation S550 calls for 150 ft-lbs of torque. Think about it... an S550 car is more track capable(because of improved handling) than any previous Mustang. Because of the potential of how hard these cars can be driven, Ford had to up the torque spec for a safety net.

Everybody sees the previous generation is 100 ft-lbs of torque and the generation before that is about the same and they come to the conclusion they are going to torque their S550 Mustang to 100 ft-lbs. Big mistake. NEVER second guess the manufacturers torque specs. If they say 150 ft-lbs, please just use 150 ft-lbs. Don't come up with your own numbers because you are an astrophysicist or a firefighter or an engineer. Trust me, the team that made the vehicle knows more than you.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ About half of the increase from 100 to 150 can be explained by the change in stud thread size from 1/2-20 up to M14 x 1.5.

Which begs the question of exactly which size lug nuts were being listed with 100 ft*lbs.

Norm

Reactions: Ebm

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I agree with Briebee 72. I torque everything to specs for the most part. Nothing drives me crazy as much as guys saying just tighten it with a impact or what feels tight. I believe if you are going to take the time to fix or change something on your car don't do it Half Assed do it right and be done with it. Awhile back I purchased Jacking Rails and there were no torque specs for the install bolts. I called the MFG. and was told just make them tight. This kind of "I could care less attitude" drives me nuts.
Sponsored