Sponsored

PlastiDip

AASP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Guys is PlastiDip a good option for wheels? If you guys have done it, can you please post some pics?
Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I have seen it done and also start to peel off. I haven't been convinced yet for rims. Anythings else, cool!

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built '91 Land Cruiser, '15 EB PP MT
I spent several hours reading up on plastidip and watching related videos. I was finally convinced - I'm setting up an appointment to professionally dip the entire car. I have heard of peeling issues as mentioned, but only if the install is done incorrectly.

Looks good too :D

Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Omg don't do it. Wheels come out so so....if you're looking from 15 feet away. Your beautiful mustang will look like you rattle can painted it, even if "professionally" done.
image.jpg

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
I say go for it. Apply 4-5 coats so it'll peel off nice and easy when you get tired of it or you rub a curb. I bet you should also clay bar your wheels before you start just to make sure you get them nice and clean so you have the best chance possible of good adhesion.

Worst case, you don't like it, and you peel it all off, lesson learned.

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Maybe live with it just the way it is?.... At least till you've made the first payment? Sell your nice foundry wheels to someone that likes them and buy black wheels? The dipped wheels will more than likely look like you painted them in a walmart parking lot while your girl was inside buying a 30 rack, a carton of smokes and a box of diapers. Just sayin.
image.jpg

Sanctuary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German cars.
Please don't. Plastidip is just like any business. They sell you on the positives but there are so many negatives that outweigh it. Plastidip serves it's purpose but never on a car. The only way I see anyone justifying is trying out a color on badging before actually getting it painted.

Sponsored

BrainFreeze

Threads
Reaction score
I have plasti dipped my wheels before. It is useful to test out what it would look like painted. Just remember to use at least 5 coats of it to make it peel off cleanly.

My wheels started to peel after a couple of months around the edge of the rim. I could have peeled it off and resprayed them, but decided I liked the look and spray painted them without plastidip.

I would suggest powdercoating if you want something more durable. Paint is very easy/cheap to touch up however.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Ehh.. Plastidip wheels is only good to do if you have beat up wheels or want to protect the wheels through a season of use.

I'd never do a whole car in PlastiDip... vinyl wraping a car would be much longer lasting.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
Plastidip works fine if you do it right. That means do ALL the prep work. It is not a permanent solution tho. People who get a lot of the peeling don't put enuff coats on or don't do the proper prep work, Im not saying all, but most that is the reason why. It's not for everyone, but I think if you do it right it looks good!

OP
OP
AASP

AASP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Maybe live with it just the way it is?.... At least till you've made the first payment? Sell your nice foundry wheels to someone that likes them and buy black wheels? The dipped wheels will more than likely look like you painted them in a walmart parking lot while your girl was inside buying a 30 rack, a carton of smokes and a box of diapers. Just sayin.
I pay my car cash, I'm about to graduate so I really can't spend 3 to 4k on new wheels and tires, I've already seen a couple of guys with Plasti-Dip on the wheels including a porsh 911, so yeah i would try it out myself.

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)
If done right it doesn't look too much like orange peel and is fine. Not sure I like the matte look on wheels though... The only problem is that everything like dust and sand sticks to it, so even after washing them they still can look kinda dirty. I think plastidip is also a good alternative for protecting the finish of oem wheels during winter, through snow, sand and salt. Just don't expect them to look good after winter... :lol:
Sponsored