Pilot Super Sport vs Sport Cup 2 - Advice Needed

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I'll answer my own question a little. Searching on TireRack by size for 295's, I get this result, and I see that there are Mercedes and BMW listed tires and one without a brand. What's interesting is if you select all three and click compare, you'll see some slight differences like weight, tread width and depth. VERY interesting stuff. Thanks, Billy, for sharing and educating!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=295/&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=19
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Better yet, get the new FP Cup2. It's about as good as the bespoke PSS in deep water, it's stickier in the wet...
Like many, to include FPR at Track Attack, I was under the impression that the CUP2 is far less capable in standing water--just changed out relatively new CUP-2s for PSS--(oops?). Even the 19+ cars at FPRS have PSS instead of CUP2, and I was told it's because of the rainy Charlotte weather. How, with the different tread pattern, did they manage to design the Cup2 to handle water better than the PSS?

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
IIRC, there is only one 305/35-19 PSS, which is the bespoke GT350 rear. There are multiple 295/35-19 PSS tires so it's important to order the correct GT350 front tire, not the BMW or Mercedes version.

Its easy to order the wrong tire, tire rack or whatever tire store you buy tires from order the wrong tire, etc...
So in a nutshell, which is the correct PSS 295/35-19 tire to order from Tire Rack, or from my local tire dealer?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
So in a nutshell, which is the correct PSS 295/35-19 tire to order from Tire Rack, or from my local tire dealer?
As stated above, the one that is NOT marked for BMW or Benz. See my link to Tirerack.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
s stated above, the one that is NOT marked for BMW or Benz. See my link to Tirerack.
Ok, thanks. That's the one rated 100Y, which is also the one recommended by tire rack when you search for tires by the car. Btw, the Michellin part # for that tire is 08022.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I had no plans or need to go up to the Cup2 and give up treadwear life (and the added cost of the tires). Plus, wouldn't that go against what the article talks about, in that my car was designed for the PSS. When Ford put the Cup2 on the GT350's they also made some suspension changes.
Treadwear ratings are USELESS.
Read this article, specifically the section in UTQG:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/

Michelin changed the UTQG of the new Cup 2 to 240. They can list pretty much any number they want on any tire.

The GT350 Cup2 was a bespoke design just like the bespoke PSS. Yes there was some changes to the suspension and brakes, but the cars weight and fundamental suspension geometry is the same, which are the major factors in a tires design, so the new Cup2 will work great on older GT350s. They are closer to each other than youd expect. Understanding this overlap can be a bit confusing but as said before, the GT350 Cup2 actually makes more grip in the wet than the GT350 PSS. They also have similar life expectancies.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
For the front, camber bolts were installed for the new alignment. Negative camber was reduced from 1.65 on the left to .55, and from 1.58 on the right to .57. Front toe out was reduced from 1/16 in. on the left to 1/32 in. toe in, toe out on the front right was reduced from negative 3/32 in. to 1/32 in. toe in. The total toe on the front was changed from negative 1/32 in. toe in to 1/32in. toe in. Front left caster went from 7.03 to 7.29 and front right caster went from 7.10 to 7.47. The rear basically stayed the same.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I'll throw my 2 cents in...

I've put Super Sport tires on my car since new, and get about 12-15k out of them. About 8 months ago, I had a non-repairable flat and the Super Sports were out of stock. So I ordered two Sport Cup 2 rear tires.

The SC2's look fucking cool: street legal slicks. After 6k miles, they are almost done. So, I'm thinking they get about 1/2 the life of Super Sport tires.

One comment... I can't recall a single time that the SC2's stepped out while accelerating through a corner. Whereas... I can recall a few times with the Super Sports that traction control saved my ass.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'll throw my 2 cents in...

I've put Super Sport tires on my car since new, and get about 12-15k out of them. About 8 months ago, I had a non-repairable flat and the Super Sports were out of stock. So I ordered two Sport Cup 2 rear tires.

The SC2's look fucking cool: street legal slicks. After 6k miles, they are almost done. So, I'm thinking they get about 1/2 the life of Super Sport tires.

One comment... I can't recall a single time that the SC2's stepped out while accelerating through a corner. Whereas... I can recall a few times with the Super Sports that traction control saved my ass.
Yeah, the SC2's have softer rubber and are a "R" compound tire. They should stick better.
Sponsored