Sponsored

Picking Out a 2015 V6: A Piece at a Time

justang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura TL
Get the V6 or GT. You'll never get the wonderful V-engine, NA sound with the EB. I'd definitely drive the 6 before you knock it for power. Mid 5 second 0-60 with no mods.
I actually did drive the 6. Dad rented a 15 convertible when he came to visit last. It was wonderful and I was in love... other than the fact it wasn't a fastback.

My dilemma is I currently own a V6 Acura TL which I've had since new in 06. I put some mild bolt on's and I can run 14.2 at 99. Not bad for a 10 year old, fwd with a slush box, but I want my next car to be much faster! I owned a 02 Audi S4 which ran easy 12's prior... and I miss that! The eco could do that much more cost effectively than the V6 I fear... but to go along with that, it won't sound nearly as good and isn't proven like the 3.7 is... they don't put the 2.3 in trucks.

I'm stuck between a nice sounding, reliable engine vs an engine that easier to get high performance out of. The 5.0 would satisfy on all fronts, but I would rather have the $$$ invested in savings.
Sponsored

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I actually did drive the 6. Dad rented a 15 convertible when he came to visit last. It was wonderful and I was in love... other than the fact it wasn't a fastback.

My dilemma is I currently own a V6 Acura TL which I've had since new in 06. I put some mild bolt on's and I can run 14.2 at 99. Not bad for a 10 year old, fwd with a slush box, but I want my next car to be much faster! I owned a 02 Audi S4 which ran easy 12's prior... and I miss that! The eco could do that much more cost effectively than the V6 I fear... but to go along with that, it won't sound nearly as good and isn't proven like the 3.7 is... they don't put the 2.3 in trucks.

I'm stuck between a nice sounding, reliable engine vs an engine that easier to get high performance out of. The 5.0 would satisfy on all fronts, but I would rather have the $$$ invested in savings.
The 5.0 sounds like what you need. The v6 will be faster then the TL and can get into the 12's with bolt ons and good tires. The Eco no doubt gets there quicker with less money but like you said we don't know about the 2.3.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I was in the same situation as you for a long time and actually had a v6 ordered. To me it depends on if you're a long term car owner. If yes, and you're not positive the V6 will offer you the performance you're looking for, the 5.0 is the ticket. It'll hold its value better than the EB, runs great on 87, actually gets quite good fuel economy and requires zero mods to feel 'right'. The base interior is still such a nice place to be compared to past Mustangs and even cars like your Acura. I came from a loaded 09 Accord EX-L coupe and even in base trim is a big upgrade in every way that matters for day to day use. You can pick up one of these for ~$30-31k if you shop around, not much different (probably less) than your TL was new.

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
My V6 on order got a VIN # and production whatever a few days ago. So it's on its way. I wonder how long it takes after that?

Mine went really quickly because the dealership either had an allotment that week, or had another car on order that they modified to accommodate my options.

I had gone in to the dealer to change my order to an EcoBoost w/performance Package, in Orange, mostly because I love those wheels with the right stripe, and also because the PP on the eB is a great value in any case. I had changed things around several times before, mostly colors going between RR and 3Y and CO, because I'm such an indecisive nut. I was on a track to keep changing my mind.

But when I found out that the V6 order was a done deal, written in stone, that changes were not possible, a great calm set in. I felt great with the result of where the spinning wheel landed. I just asked my guy at the Harley dealership what color he liked on the new Mustang and he said he loved the Dark Blue, that one of his friends had it and it was absolutely beautiful. That's where my spinning wheel was when it stopped, on DIB. I can't wait for delivery. I really did get the best one.

The V8 is great, but I like revving high and pushing it real good and the V8 is too powerful for that on a regular basis. I feel like I'm flushing gas down the toilet. I like regular gas and base models, if possible.

So, that's about that.

Last edited:

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Weren't you the guy that went on and on about the v6 for months?
How come you went eb now?

Sponsored

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Weren't you the guy that went on and on about the v6 for months?
How come you went eb now?
He didn't I had to read it again myself. He said the v6 order is set in stone and yes he did go on and on haha but not anymore hopefully!

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Dude you're gonna love the V6 stop thinking about it.

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
Dude you're gonna love the V6 stop thinking about it.
I know. It's the best one. It's a 150 lbs lighter than the V8 and you can use all the power.

The new Camaro V6 is reported to make 335 hp though. That's a little disconcerting.

Last edited:

justang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura TL
The 5.0 sounds like what you need. The v6 will be faster then the TL and can get into the 12's with bolt ons and good tires. The Eco no doubt gets there quicker with less money but like you said we don't know about the 2.3.
As much as I love the 5.0, I want something that is not any heavier than my TL which is 3,500 lbs. I know the mustang isn't a miata, but I think at 3,700 lbs it will not be as agile as I would like it to be. I have not driven one yet, so I may be wrong.

I was in the same situation as you for a long time and actually had a v6 ordered. To me it depends on if you're a long term car owner. If yes, and you're not positive the V6 will offer you the performance you're looking for, the 5.0 is the ticket. It'll hold its value better than the EB, runs great on 87, actually gets quite good fuel economy and requires zero mods to feel 'right'. The base interior is still such a nice place to be compared to past Mustangs and even cars like your Acura. I came from a loaded 09 Accord EX-L coupe and even in base trim is a big upgrade in every way that matters for day to day use. You can pick up one of these for ~$30-31k if you shop around, not much different (probably less) than your TL was new.
No matter what, this time around I'm going with the base. I don't need or want those extra gadgets, that's just more stuff to break and I would prefer cloth in a sports car because it grips better. Although the interior is a quantum leap forward, I wouldn't say it's on par with the TL... nor did I expect it to be. I plan to keep my cars 10 years so reliability is a top priority. I paid $30,000 for the TL new in 06. Since the 07 was just released I got a good deal. I would like to pay less than that this time. I plan to do the same this time around and wait until the next year's model is out and maybe I can swindle a base 5.0 for 26-27K, who knows. TL is mint and running 100% so I can be patient.

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
...something that is not any heavier than my TL which is 3,500 lbs. ...
No matter what, this time around I'm going with the base. I don't need or want those extra gadgets, that's just more stuff to break and I would prefer cloth in a sports car because it grips better. Although the interior is a quantum leap forward, I wouldn't say it's on par with the TL... nor did I expect it to be. I plan to keep my cars 10 years so reliability is a top priority. I paid $30,000 for the TL new in 06. Since the 07 was just released I got a good deal. I would like to pay less than that this time. I plan to do the same this time around and wait until the next year's model is out and maybe I can swindle a base 5.0 for 26-27K, who knows. TL is mint and running 100% so I can be patient.
That's how a lot of us feel. Is the MSRP/delivered cost important to you, or have you got plenty of dosh? Because if the cost is important, the best deal is to order a base V6 with your favorite color and no other options. Your dealer might order it for $300 or more below invoice. Now, you're talk'n.

Once you add the 051A and axle ratio, you pay $1400 for a set of $155 wheels and a different ratio, it isn't a better deal than an EcoBoost.

Sponsored

Cades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
That's how a lot of us feel. Is the MSRP/delivered cost important to you, or have you got plenty of dosh? Because if the cost is important, the best deal is to order a base V6 with your favorite color and no other options. Your dealer might order it for $300 or more below invoice. Now, you're talk'n.

Once you add the 051A and axle ratio, you pay $1400 for a set of $155 wheels and a different ratio, it isn't a better deal than an EcoBoost.
minus the fact that 051a is more than just the wheels.

good luck finding a set of those wheels for $155

justang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura TL

The more I think about it, I like the idea of a base 6 without the 51a. I don't want a spoiler, I think it looks better without. Fog lights I rarely use and I don't really care for how they look on the stang. Plus they are easily damaged by rocks in that location low to the ground. As for the wheels, I already have 2 sets of forged lightweight 18 inch wheels (17.7 lbs a wheel) that none of the stock wheels can compare to IMO. Luckily the stang is the same bolt pattern and offset as the TL! Power seat... meh, it's just added weight and I can get to the rear seats quicker with the manual seats. I'll use my $1,000 savings and get a nice set of sticky tires!

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The more I think about it, I like the idea of a base 6 without the 51a. I don't want a spoiler, I think it looks better without. Fog lights I rarely use and I don't really care for how they look on the stang. Plus they are easily damaged by rocks in that location low to the ground. As for the wheels, I already have 2 sets of forged lightweight 18 inch wheels (17.7 lbs a wheel) that none of the stock wheels can compare to IMO. Luckily the stang is the same bolt pattern and offset as the TL! Power seat... meh, it's just added weight and I can get to the rear seats quicker with the manual seats. I'll use my $1,000 savings and get a nice set of sticky tires!
You sir are on the right track imho :)

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
I got the 051A Package on my Base V6 Convertible because I didn`t happen to have a "spare" set of 18`` Wheels and Tires available to "bolt on" and the Sparkle 17`` Wheels and Tires are just too cute for my taste. The Power Drivers Seat and the Flood Lamps were just a (throw in) for me. I ordered mine with the Spoiler Delete 13D option. The optional performance axle for $400 was not considered since I`m more interested in fuel economy and low highway rpm`s, (not) 0-60 runs since its simply a daily driver. To each their own. Pretty sweet Vert for a MSRP of 32K including AT and a Spare Tire!

justang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura TL