mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hey All!

So my vehicle has been approved for buyback and I was looking into getting a replacement via custom order. Order was submitted earlier this week, but word from Ford is that they're not making any more PP1 cars for 2020.

I have essentially one day to make a decision -- do I get non-PP with grabber lime, and buy performance parts aftermarket, or make the gamble on another paint color and paint to grabber lime if I want to at a later date? Any and all feedback welcome!
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
At this stage have them order a 2021.

OP
OP
mustangpegasus51

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Oh, forgot to add; the color that I want, grabber lime, ends in 2020. So I guess my question is: given this issue, would it be easier to repaint the car later (if I decide it's what I want) or add the performance parts?

I always feel like paint is such a difficult thing to get right, and the performance part addons would be more clearcut. Then again, I'm worried about warranty with performance parts.

bless0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ingot Silver GT/PP/AE/MR Recaros
look for a used one then!

OP
OP
mustangpegasus51

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Okay, so after doing some research it seems you can get most if not all of the PP1 parts installed afterwards through Ford Performance.

Only thing is the "unique tuning" that it says on the Ford site; not really sure what that means.

Definitely leaning towards that option now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mustangpegasus51

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I'd get a PP2 unless you want an auto.

It's not worth installing the FP PP1 parts when you can for the same price, or cheaper get better 3rd party alternatives.
Oh I'm getting an auto. Tried learning manual in friends' cars from time to time, and one day would like to actually learn, but as of now wouldn't be the right plan haha.

Sounds like the decision is pretty clear at this point: get the green machine without PP, add parts later.

Justin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT Premium
Depends on how much color means to you. I settled on my first mustang when I got silver instead of white/ruby and regretted it. Won't ever settle again on such a large purchase. I think 90% of the PP1 parts are easily obtained aftermarket. I think the biggest miss is the torsen diff but I guess you'd just need to ask yourself if thats really worth it and what benefits it offers. Painting at a later date sounds like a terrible endeavour.

TL:DR get the color you want, add PP1 or better parts aftermarket.
PS I may be a bit biased ;)
1601593896564.png

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Agree, painting is a bad idea. Though I have seen some wraps that are pretty stellar, but that is a pricey option.

While I agree you can get better things like struts, shocks and sway bars - there are also brakes, radiator, Torsen, etc. as well as programming for the better brakes and drive mode differences that you can't change.

Has the dealer tried to locate one for you?

Sponsored
OP
OP
mustangpegasus51

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
So the only thing I can't upgrade as far as I can tell is the ecu programming for abs/epas and whatever "chassis tuning" is.

Also under hard to upgrade is the differential and interior guages.

We haven't been actively looking, but to find what I want in the right color will be very difficult with covid-based low inventory.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Don't get me wrong, I love the grabber lime and all of the grabber colors both recent and past on Mustangs. For me, I was more interested in the PP than color and ended up with plain old black.

You just have to decide which you would regret the least - color or PP. It really sounds like the color is most important, so I would say go for it!

OP
OP
mustangpegasus51

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
My requirements are looks cool, goes fast, android auto hahaha.

I'm also kinda torn on this or waiting for grabber yellow.

OP
OP
mustangpegasus51

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hey all!

So after some more calls around I was able to learn a couple of things:

* The GT Performance Package is literally unorderable from dealers right now, and not an allocation issue with my dealer. Also, I've been thinking -- could this mean that there's no PP1 option for 2021?

* I saw Grabber Lime in person! It's gorgeous to me and would definitely stand out. However, I like other colors too, such as black, white (my current color) and maybe new colors depending on what the 2021 options actually look like.

* If I could have ordered my config it would have been hands down the green machine. However now that I have to sacrifice some of that config to get it, as others have said, I have to ask myself which I value more - the color or performance pack.

* Plan is now to see if there's a last ditch effort to get my desired config and go from there.

Last edited: