Sponsored

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 - Tick Gone!

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
3rd oil change, I change it myself every 5k miles, never an issue. It's all I use.
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I have been using PUP since my first oil change. I started getting the tick after that first change from factory oil. I started adding one ceratec (Cera Tec) can per change and had some minor to no ticking.

My prior change I went to just PUP again with ceratec and it ticked like mad. So the last time I decided to do the full 2 cans of ceratec and there has been 0.0000 tick for the past 4,000 miles.

I don't know if it's the carrier oil or friction additive. I'm starting to think it may just be the carrier oil since the ticking returns immediately and the anti-friction additives are supposed to last around 30,000 KM.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's really strange indeed. Also baffled how a 'snake oil' additive quiets it, but I know it's true. What I've read conflicting info is if the oil looks like frappuccino or not. One poster said both (initially yes, but later on no). So what is it? That's my biggest concern. If something happens to the engine, and I don't have time to replace the oil, any dealer would report that to Ford, and engine warranty would be gone. Hope my engine never develops the tick, but with my luck, I'm bracing for it :D. I'm days away from changing the oil for the first time (1,042 miles at the moment); just waiting to get the Steeda braces to install the front one at the same time I change the oil. Then I'd have to put the rear on ramps too for the braces.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'd not put Cera Tec in the snake oil category.

As far as what it looks like once added, all I can tell is it looks like clean oil for a bit and then looks like used oil once it's time for a change. I've been baffled by these reports of it looking funny. I use my own mechanic so I've watched him do the drains and asked if there was anything he thought looked funny. He claims he can't see anything unusual looking.

I had used it in my Mercedes before, which is where I originally had learned about it. It's been popular with the German car mechanics.

Good luck on that first change! I suspect most of these cars will get the tick when going to a full synthetic. It's just a matter of how sensitive the owner is to driving an old timey ticker tape machine.

I would not do Cera Tec on your first change and do straight up PUP and see how it goes. I also use the larger Ford Racing filter.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I've been baffled by these reports of it looking funny. I use my own mechanic so I've watched him do the drains and asked if there was anything he thought looked funny. He claims he can't see anything unusual looking.

Add ceratec to a jag of new oil and tell us how it looks. It looks like that until oil gets old.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Perhaps, but I’ve only seen it on a dip stick when the oil is still new. On the rag it just looks like clean oil.

I'd not bother using it if my car didn't sound like it had broken exhaust mounts and bad rods.
Sponsored